Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How I Learned to Love the Fort...  (Read 2072 times)

KageDragon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
How I Learned to Love the Fort...
« on: March 14, 2012, 12:19:03 am »

I first tried DF several years back, when there were none of these fancy z levels or tilesets :D

No tutorials, or youtube vids, so I didn't really get too far with it, and it took forever to gen worlds on my crappy PIII...

Couple of years ago, I find a link about something called Boatmurdered.

Read the whole thing. Laugh my ass off.

Decide to try it again. It has Z levels. Tilesets. Tutorials and videos abound. And a wiki.

I find my inner dwarf, and I'm hooked. Muddle around my first forts as all n00bs do.

First Epic Moment: Seeing an new recruit take his axe, and make his first kill of something that by all rights should have ripped him apart, by slamming the handle of his axe into the forehead of it, driving the bone into its brain, then when he was all uber-axe master, watching some ram trying to hit him from behind, he turns around, decapitates it with one swipe, and watching the head fly several tiles away, with a nice spray of blood.

First LOL Moment: Giant gets into the 1st level of my fort, send marksdwarves to shoot him, and watching the combat log, realize the giant is male, because he just took a iron bolt to the family jewels.

Seeing the aftermath of battles, blood and body parts everywhere, glorious!

The idea of 'Losing is Fun' was still foreign to me. Until...

Had a fort up and running well using Genesis mod, getting things in order, then...

Invasion of vampires, warlocks, illlithids etc. about 8 of them.

I have no military, no defenses, no dwarves with any appreciable military skills.

So, draft my about 20 dwarves into the military, except for 2 building mechanisms and cages.
Luckily they spent a while chasing around the livestock outside. I think I got 2 or 3 cage traps deployed.

Once they finally enter my fort, I send out my guys out for the Final Battle.

Managed to catch one in a cage, and in the end I killed them all. It was not a pretty battle.
There where 3 survivors:
My chief medical dwarf, crippled and slowly dying in the hospital.
One of my miners, went melancholy right after.
And the big surprise, my bookkeeper, who despite having no training, killed 5 of the enemy with his bare hands.

A few minutes later the miner died, then the medic died from thirst, and finally the bookkeeper\Kung-Fu Master
went insane as well, and died.

Most games, this would annoy me -> savescumm :D

Damn, I though, losing is fun!

Then I had a thought, nice fortress, fairly new, lots of supplies!

Reclaim...

1st thing I see? Either the caged vampire got out, or I missed one, because he was right there, and slaughtered everyone.

Then I had another thought. Nice fort, fairly new, and twice as much stuff as before!...

Reclaim... and it went OK. A bit later, I'm down in the lower levels, strip mining, and damned If I don't find that damn vampire again! Had some marksdwarves this time though, and killed the bastard!

Wish I could have put him on a stake somewhere, or had him bronzed and made into a statue :D

My last fort was Fun.

Got my first Dwarf Vampire. Never did figure out who he was :D I though it was my stonecarver, because I saw him walk up to someone in bed, and boom the guy is in bed is dead, and the stonecarver is carrying the corpse to the stockpile, with no death announcement, just that the sleeping guy is missing... yet I saw the stonecarver became thirsty and tired, and drank booze etc.

The beginning of the end was when an animal trainer turned out to be a human shapeshifter. He ran off, and was later killed by his erstwhile dwarven wife. Oddly she became very unhappy at this :D

Then I had a flamethrower turret thing covering the approaches to my front gate.
For some reason, I started some farm plots there. A thief showed up right during harvest time and there was
about a dozen dwarves harvesting. The firestorm killed most of the harvesters, most of my livestock, some other dwarves and burnt the whole map. The thief lived. One of the harvesters had ~200 rings, ~200 crowns and ~200 earrings, all made of bone, or hair. Thinking these dwarves were already insane.

Decide if I'm going to have everyone go insane, I'm going to do it right.

Wall up the caravan in the depot. Put the 30 or so survivors in an empty room, move all the corpses in there with them, move the rest of the animals in there, and lock them in with no food or booze :D
Fun was seeing the idiot Mayor get killed by a child.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How I Learned to Love the Fort...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:42:04 am »

I like the way how you apparently jumped head-first into the game using a +difficulty mod or two.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 02:51:08 pm »

Those bone crowns, rings, and earrings... what type of bone and hair were they made of? If it was dwarf bone and hair, then you found your vampire.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 02:59:25 pm »

Those bone crowns, rings, and earrings... what type of bone and hair were they made of? If it was dwarf bone and hair, then you found your vampire.

Suh-weet irony.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.