Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Serial Killer RL (Yet another)  (Read 28943 times)

bloodrizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Serial Killer RL (Yet another)
« on: March 13, 2012, 04:16:36 pm »

Hi guys.
About year ago under impression of infamous SK hoax I started to work on a serial killer RL prototype. After long hiatus I'm porting old codebase to new engine.

Here is what game looks like:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lil development blog: http://skrdev.blogspot.com/
Don't expect fast progress on it, since it is just a minor hobby.

>>> Play the latest dev build <<<
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:00:11 am by bloodrizer »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: (Yet another) Serial Killer RL
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:21:03 pm »

How the hell can you tell what someone believes at a glance?

Also, looks like you've been working on this a while now.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 06:16:05 pm »

^^^That.

Also the second sentence >.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 06:44:50 pm »

Welcome to the forums! We always like to see more amateur game devs. And SK:RL will never stop being a cool idea.

In LCS you can learn someone's political affiliation by looking at them. Just sayin'. It's not like it's a crazy (or necessarily bad) idea to give the player some metagame info about NPCs. As long as we're nitpicking though:
Policeman is one word.
Saving flat-colour images as jpeg's makes them look like someone smudged ugly all over them.

Best of luck, though. Looks like you've released a current alpha, so I'm probably gonna take a look at that...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:05:07 pm »

Ahhh.... I wanted to try it. But when I started it up my security system told me it was infection. So... I will give it a pass until you get that worked out.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:26:29 pm »

This is relevant to my interests.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 10:27:30 pm »

PTW
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 12:54:23 am »

Looks like another attempt at this.

Welcome to the forums, and best of luck.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 12:55:39 am »

ptw

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 04:41:28 am »

PTW
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 06:39:27 am »

It's not like it's a crazy (or necessarily bad) idea to give the player some metagame info about NPCs.
Okay, yeah. I was being a bit nitpicky, but it was something of a logic bomb for me. If he was christian, or if he was protestant, or Jewish, there are at least some signs you can look at to figure it out.

I'd honestly like it though, if there was a religion skill, or an affiliation skill to help identify what someone is based on how they carry themselves, what they're wearing, if they display any religious symbols, etc.

And while I think it's great the system does identify what people are like for now, I think it'd be better to be able to talk to people, find out more about them, talk at bus stops, that sorta thing, and we'd have an option (or skill) of coming across as creepy or as normal. Maybe we can invite people over, have them take a look at our stove. Or maybe we can impersonate someone, force them to do dangerous things.

Admittedly, ambitious, yeah. I dunno if I can pull of what's been done so far as is.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 07:06:59 am »

It's not like it's a crazy (or necessarily bad) idea to give the player some metagame info about NPCs.
Okay, yeah. I was being a bit nitpicky, but it was something of a logic bomb for me. If he was christian, or if he was protestant, or Jewish, there are at least some signs you can look at to figure it out.

I'd honestly like it though, if there was a religion skill, or an affiliation skill to help identify what someone is based on how they carry themselves, what they're wearing, if they display any religious symbols, etc.

And while I think it's great the system does identify what people are like for now, I think it'd be better to be able to talk to people, find out more about them, talk at bus stops, that sorta thing, and we'd have an option (or skill) of coming across as creepy or as normal. Maybe we can invite people over, have them take a look at our stove. Or maybe we can impersonate someone, force them to do dangerous things.

Admittedly, ambitious, yeah. I dunno if I can pull of what's been done so far as is.

This. IMO, this makes the game livelier, and building trust just to topple it down is good.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

bloodrizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 11:43:54 am »

My initial idea was to show a lot of statistics about NPC in order to let player make pattern-based crimes (like killing NPC of selected race or age group). First, this will encourage player to spend some time to select next target instead of randomly butching NPC. For example, player can be awarded by extra points for combo killing, etc. Secondly, we can theoretically create challenging police AI that can predict next player movement based on a pattern.

(Now I'm not sure it is such a good idea)

Ahhh.... I wanted to try it. But when I started it up my security system told me it was infection. So... I will give it a pass until you get that worked out.
Uh, that's strange. The game is just an applet inside of java sandbox, it can't possibly be infected or do something malicious. Could you show a screenshot?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 07:42:00 pm »

My initial idea was to show a lot of statistics about NPC in order to let player make pattern-based crimes (like killing NPC of selected race or age group). First, this will encourage player to spend some time to select next target instead of randomly butching NPC. For example, player can be awarded by extra points for combo killing, etc. Secondly, we can theoretically create challenging police AI that can predict next player movement based on a pattern.

(Now I'm not sure it is such a good idea)
That police force sounds like it would be great to go up against.
For some reason it won't load for me. All I see is a blank white screen
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 06:42:22 pm »

This looks great
PTW.