Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Serial Killer RL (Yet another)  (Read 28458 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer RL (Yet another)
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2012, 03:33:30 pm »

Cops attacking your safehouse, having to search for other safehouses and maintance costs for safehouses would be nice too.

Hmmm that sounds oddly familiar... almost... liberal

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2012, 03:43:23 pm »

Honestly, I didn't think LCs.

I did think of the hoax though.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 07:08:06 pm »

Depending on your skill levels, supplies, and background, you can always rig booby traps to fend off the police when they do searches at your safehouses (or when you raid other houses). Invest in a few bear traps, plant them near your windows and doorways, and you'll have fewer mobile forces (especially dogs). You can always have sulphuric acid (mad scientist SKer) to throw into their eyes as well, along with melting evidence.

Take down some cops, and you can stockpile tazers, pepper bombs/sprays, anti-riot claymores (the non-lethal kind; though you would more likely get those from SWAT teams), and further increase personal security. Pepper bombs and sprays will do wonders against dogs. You can also try to produce mustard gas bombs/traps by using a few household chemicals and cooking pots as well (good for deep indoor defense). Or make bombs/napalms or toxic traps using other household items. MacGuyver some deathtraps.

We can always go a Face/Off approach, kill (or knock out) a target, carry their corpse with you (keep it fresh; or carrying a cooler for the head will also suffice), go to a back alley doctor before the skin rots away too much, and do a face swap. Lay low for enough days/weeks (your face needs to heal), and you'll be back into society with a new face with lower recognizability (though a little disfigured each swap, depending on the doctor's skill, and how well you keep the healing process clean). You can also, provided high enough pain tolerance, scramble (requires a knife of sorts) or melt off your fingerprints to slow down tracking even further.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:16:38 pm by Itnetlolor »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 09:03:58 pm »

Did anybody watched the movie "Mr. Brooks"? I really liked the potrayal of a crazy-yet-calm serial killer there. I'm hoping to see a choice that allows us to be like that in game.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2012, 03:40:36 pm »

For inspiration, there is this one scene in the Darkly Dreaming Dexter book where Dexter notices the moon, and his "dark passenger" starts urging him to go out and kill someone but he keeps trying to order it down since he hasn't prepared a kill room or studied anybody enough, it's too soon after the first kill etc. He ends up losing that battle of wills, and follows a "maybe" to a construction site where the "maybe" was stealing copper wire. Dexter ambushes him with a knife and starts his usually process of carving him apart (despite the "maybe" still being alive) when he is interrupted by a security guard and has to kill the "maybe" quickly and flee. Next day, he's on edge over not finishing the kill to his liking, when he's called in to do blood splatter on this poor soul who got killed brutally on a construction site...

So for bloodlust, you could maybe implement something like tracking the patterns of kills, and start "urging" the player to kill if a situation that matches their pattern arises? Player kills at night, well it just so happens now is a beautiful night with a beautiful moon >=)

With tremendous synchronism, the idea that players may get bored of just killing matches what happens with real life serial killers. Their early kills are often rather "pedestrian", but as that starts to lose it's thrill they move on to bigger, more brazen and risky kills to keep the high going.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:49:20 pm by MorleyDev »

bloodrizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2012, 07:57:12 am »

Spend some time making NPC search for beds at night and it turns out that game runs rather slow (~500-1000 ms per turn)
Therefore, I had to do a lot of pathfinder optimizations. It's unlikely I can optimize astar routine, since it requires a lot of algorithm and tricky data structure knowledge. (And I'm not so into data structures). So we have to cheat a bit.

Since town layout is pretty static we can pre-calculate every possible route between crossroad nodes. (I used them before for pedestrian ai)
After that we can calculate complex path to the nearest node, then use pre-calculated path to the target node and calculate the rest of the path.
(See screenshot)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Orange is a street graph (I call it adaptive graph). Green lines are calculated NPC routes.

Also, thanks a lot for your ideas and feedback. Safehouse protection is a must and I'll try to implement it in the upcoming build.

bloodrizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2012, 02:47:54 pm »

Dev build 0.2.0

* Overall performance optimization.
* Added road textures.

AI:

* Npc will try to locate bed at night.
* Attacking police or someone near the policeman will force them to chase and attack you.
* If civilian sees (or hears) you attacking someone or breaking something, he will report a police. Police will try to explore possible crimeplace.
If policeman sees you near the crimeplace, he will start attacking you.

* Added criminal background generation on the npc.
* Player can view detailed information about npc (right click on the npc, context menu)
* Added escape menu - you can finally restart game upon death or if you stuck in the starting room.
(No character generation so far, sorry)

Combat:
* Hammer inflicts blunt type damage with a small chance of stunning NPC.
* Decapitation of dead bodies. You can even took cutted arm and use it as a blunt weapon :)

Play in browser
(If game runs slow, I recommend to reload page or restart game via esc menu)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2012, 04:34:02 pm »

Saweet. Playing now.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2012, 04:35:21 pm »

Ok, I spawned in a room with no window or doors and no way out. Then all the NPC's began attacking stuff. This release is FUN.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

Question : why are all the NPCs randomly attacking windows/doors?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2012, 04:40:28 pm »

Probably pathing. They might be trying to get through the windows.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2012, 12:16:47 pm »

Probably pathing. They might be trying to get through the windows.

...I don't know why but I find this so very amusing.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 01:48:35 am »

Distant relatives of gazebos?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 01:55:47 am by Itnetlolor »

bloodrizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2012, 02:53:02 am »

Distant relatives of gazebos?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Definitely. Yeah, doors are possessed by the Old Ones. Let this game be official Lovecraft tribute >:3

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7