Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Serial Killer RL (Yet another)  (Read 28456 times)

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Serial Killer RL (Yet another)
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2012, 05:34:21 pm »

Err... Bump?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2012, 06:08:18 pm »

Yeah how's the project going?

bloodrizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2012, 06:11:43 am »

Sorry for lack of updates.

Working on item dropping/picking and building basement layer.
I'll probably will introduce some dungeon system later.

bloodrizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2012, 03:06:13 pm »

Minor update:
v 0.2.2

Fixed annoying bug when you are stuck in the starting room.

Added hunger and stamina.
If stamina is <20% player may skip turn due to feeling dizzy. If stamina <= 0%, player will skip several turns in a row.
Hunger does not affect anything for now. You can refill hunger bar by eating food from fridge. Player can also eat parts of dismembered bodies. In this case there is ~20% chance of cathing disease from infected npc (They are marked as "looking sick" in detailed view).
Infection mechanics will be detailed in upcoming builds. Also, stamina and hunger will play large role in the "adventure" arc.

Added "open" option for container entities as well as container invenotory menu.
You can drop or pick items. Destroying container or killing NPC will result in droping items as well.

Player stats (race, sex, age) are randomly generated now. (Sorry if that offends you :) )
Added family. There is ~60% chance player will have wife/husband and small chance of having one or more children. (This is rather cosmetic too).
Added basement level. You can now use ladders (marked as "/").
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:17:25 pm by bloodrizer »

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2012, 03:23:53 pm »

Player can also eat parts of dismembered bodies. In this case there is ~20% chance of cathing disease from infected npc (They are marked as "looking sick" in detailed view).
Infection mechanics will be detailed in upcoming builds. Also, stamina and hunger will play large role in the "adventure" arc.

Yech! Also, interesting.

Have you thought about implementing some kind of 'Dark Desires' mechanic for players? That is, upon generation, either randomly assign them or let them choose a set of specific conditions they must fulfill in order to satisfy their own inner demon. Failing to satisfy those desires could result in either some kind of sanity penalty (this is really ironic, now that I think about it), OR you could cause there to be a small - and growing, the longer the player's desire remains unsatisfied - chance that the PC will suddenly tear control from the player and act upon its desires openly. I.e., the character might openly murder someone in front of witnesses if the player has failed to satisfy its desires for too long, so there is a continual incentive for the player to act out the PC's fantasies.

bloodrizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2012, 03:39:25 pm »

Have you thought about implementing some kind of 'Dark Desires' mechanic for players? That is, upon generation, either randomly assign them or let them choose a set of specific conditions they must fulfill in order to satisfy their own inner demon. Failing to satisfy those desires could result in either some kind of sanity penalty (this is really ironic, now that I think about it), OR you could cause there to be a small - and growing, the longer the player's desire remains unsatisfied - chance that the PC will suddenly tear control from the player and act upon its desires openly. I.e., the character might openly murder someone in front of witnesses if the player has failed to satisfy its desires for too long, so there is a continual incentive for the player to act out the PC's fantasies.

Thanks for your comment :) Yeah, a lot of people suggested this and I was thinking of it for a long time. IMO, your idea is the closest to what this mechanic will look like.
So, the will be "bloodlust" bar and player will have a set of kill restrictions, either pre-defined or based on a first victim. Killing NPC will deplete this bar,and strugling too much will result in a short "out of control" state following killing frenzy.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 03:42:09 pm by bloodrizer »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2012, 05:25:30 pm »

This is shaping up to be an awesome game!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

bloodrizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2012, 03:51:09 pm »

v 0.2.3

* Player can sleep in the bed until stamina is restored.
* Added "bloodlust" parameter in the character stats. It slowly grows with every player's turn until it reaches 80+ and background starts glowing red.
If bloodlust is too high, player turns into "Out of control" state and starts butching every NPC that is around.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(OOC character messing with police)

Killing NPC will deplete bloodlust bar by 20% ( ~200 turns). Every next victim will restore 5% less blodlust. Killing similar victims will award you with additional bloodlust points, while killing different NPC will result in additional penalty). Bonuses and penalties are growing with every next victim.
* Player may also take "Suppression pills" to lower bloodlust level.
* Added non-lethal "Taser" weapon that does no damage, but has high stun chance.
* Consumable items are marked with '*' symbol in the inventory.
* Male adult PC has an option to rape unconcious victims. This will also decreese bloodlust level, although not as much as killing. It will also nullify hidden "Libido" bar, so multiple rape attempts in a row are not allowed. Player also has 50% chance to catch STD during rape action.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2012, 04:12:13 pm »

I'd rather play with the bloodlust bar hidden. Your character may be forced to kill someone in inappropriate times. It would lead into interesting scenerios. Being able to know when you are going to want to kill makes the game... easier.

You are at the bank to check your account, suddenly you get a dark feeling. Oh well, let's hide in the restroom and hope someone comes along...

It shouldn't happen instantly though. First you'll get a message like "You start fantasising about killing" then something like "You feel like killing someone" and then "You... need... to... kill..." and "You feel darkness taking over" and then you start butchering. There could be a skill like willpower to resist the need to kill for a little while in the future.

I didn't try the last version yet but it sounds promising.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2012, 04:20:31 pm »

Maybe this is an idea for later but instead of taking control away from the character, why not make it impossible for them to function?

For example, make it so if they try and sleep, they can only get a few hours of restless sleep. If they try and eat food they are ill and throw it back up. If they try and enjoy themselves with something else, they can't. If they try and work to earn money, they can't focus and their job suffers. Basically slowly make it harder for fulfil their needs.

But then again I like the idea of driving the player to consciously go on a killing spree, instead of taking their control of the character away.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 04:22:22 pm by MorleyDev »

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2012, 04:26:25 pm »

Will we ever be able to work as butcherers and sell our.. products to people?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

bloodrizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2012, 04:16:23 am »

I'd rather play with the bloodlust bar hidden. Your character may be forced to kill someone in inappropriate times.
It shouldn't happen instantly though. First you'll get a message like "You start fantasising about killing" then something like "You feel like killing someone" and then "You... need... to... kill..." and "You feel darkness taking over" and then you start butchering. There could be a skill like willpower to resist the need to kill for a little while in the future.
Notifications are perfectly fine. I'll add them in the next update. As for the hidden bar, I'm not so sure yet. Notifications are easy to be missed, and without rough bloodlust estimation game doesn't really gain too much play value.

Maybe this is an idea for later but instead of taking control away from the character, why not make it impossible for them to function?

For example, make it so if they try and sleep, they can only get a few hours of restless sleep. If they try and eat food they are ill and throw it back up. If they try and enjoy themselves with something else, they can't. If they try and work to earn money, they can't focus and their job suffers. Basically slowly make it harder for fulfil their needs.
I don't really want to remove OOC state yet, since it takes a lot of time to be filled. Think of OOC as "game over" situation that is fun and deadly at the same time.
But negative effects are really the great idea. I think, they will perfectly fit into the current game mechanic.

This is possible, but it needs a lot of work :)

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2012, 06:00:39 am »

is possible to have a download version?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2012, 06:24:57 am »

This is possible, but it needs a lot of work :)
Heh, reminds me of an episode of 'Criminal Minds' in which the killer catered the food for the search party looking for the victim... feeding them the prepared meat of the victim for lunch.

bloodrizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2012, 04:31:15 am »

is possible to have a download version?
You can build desktop version from source. You can find source code there: https://github.com/bloodrizer/libroguelike (Yeah, it's open source, and yeah, I'm accepting contribution of any sort ) You would probably need to install git to get sources and any free java IDE to compile it.
http://www.lwjgl.org/wiki has some articles on how to set up opengl bindings.

I can prepare standalone version, but it will take some time due to deployment difficulty with opengl libs, etc, etc

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7