Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb  (Read 87512 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 10:57:29 pm »

Usually goblins, yeah. I definitely get to the point where my units list is a couple pages of live dorfs and a couple pages for each flavor of dead goblin invader, not to mention the butchered kittens.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 10:59:54 pm »

If you want to test kittensmashing, that's fine, but this is specifically in reference to the people who see permanent FPS loss even when they are trying to avoid the things that cause normal FPS loss.  Huge killcounts and catsplosions are those specific things such players avoid.

I actually want to test things like huge caravan sizes, and seeing if having a huge caravan can permanently cripple your FPS, and if cutting yourself off from caravans entirely will preserve long-term FPS.

Siegers are another thing that fits on that list, as well - I'm specifically not dealing with siegers, since it's so difficult to compare it well to a control.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 11:03:11 pm »

posting to watch this, could be informative.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 11:22:02 pm »

Well, my atom smashing setup has managed to get me below 100 FPS. 

The problem is I'm not sure if this is just because I have a backlog of 10,000 mugs to chuck down the smashy-chute.

EDIT:
Heh, the lever-puller went on break, and my FPS shot up from 100 to 180, just because it wasn't actually smashing things anymore.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:56:58 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 11:36:54 pm »

Of course for this instance, your control would be a room full of mugs, and your test would be an empty room of recently atom-smashed mugs.  Then again, you'd also need a control of no mugs to start with...

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 11:37:45 pm »

... Perhaps the control could be with invasions turned off, and the experiment could be with invasions turned on but the entire fort sealed off? Hm, have to figure out what to do about caravans though.
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 11:48:31 pm »

Of course for this instance, your control would be a room full of mugs, and your test would be an empty room of recently atom-smashed mugs.  Then again, you'd also need a control of no mugs to start with...

Control is just pulling the lever without building or smashing any mugs.

Because building and destroying mugs repeatedly did not lead to lag, then there must be a properly working clean-up function.  The test of the atom smasher is to see if this clean-up function works in all situations.

For example, Peterix was talking about how you can use DF Hack to eliminate many objects, but that because it is a memory hacking tool, it doesn't actually always trigger all the proper routines, and can lead to undesirable behavior, such as eliminating magma, but not actually changing the temperature of the tile back down to non-magma temperatures, so it still melts anything in the tile.

Likewise, magma-casting, ice-forming, or other "put a wall over it" destructions of items can lead to very strange behaviors, especially when you carve them back out. 

Further, there are reports of events like magma dumped objects not properly being cleaned up.

By testing each of these different cases in isolation, I can try to zero in on what specific problems there might be in the cleanup routines, and file bug reports for them.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 12:34:21 am »

I wonder how much various user science bits have helped Toady over the years.

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 12:36:43 am »

This community is by far the best alpha-testing group granite-spiked socks can buy.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 01:39:27 am »

Posting to watch the thread.

Kar98

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 02:24:10 am »

Very interesting tests. I've always held the belief that it's not so much items but space that causes the FPS death that people experience. Perhaps it could be a combination of both

Alternatively, perhaps you could set up 20 miners, mine entire Z levels to 'produce' rock then atom smash it later and see if that has an effect on FPS. And for consistancy it might be best to turn off caverns in advance world generation so we don't see these random FPS spikes.

As for the FPS spikes when you leave DF, I would say it has something to do with the process not being in focus and it might throw off the FPS calculations - pure speculation

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 02:35:22 am »

Recently somebody found what caused adamantine spires, hell on embark, collapsing caverns in the sky and general world corruption.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 02:42:01 am »

Thats what i mean, players have solved many bugs for him, with or without his consent.
take the poll in your sig for example, major help to Toady, but nobody asked you to do it.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 02:44:01 am »

Recently somebody found what caused adamantine spires, hell on embark, collapsing caverns in the sky and general world corruption.

Wh... what was it?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 02:50:20 am »

knowing DF it was a small tiny ass thing like a missing bracket in some obscure file, or 1 number wrong in a data pointer...

see fun thing about DF's complexity, little issue = big bug.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18