Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb  (Read 87777 times)

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb
« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2012, 01:18:10 pm »

Very interesting thread, and good science all around but it seems to me that no one has ever really verified the underlying hypothesis. Find a fort that is suffering from FPS problems and put it entirely back to starting conditions. Kill off excess dwarfs and animals, destroy excess items, block off every single path, then use dfhack's revflood to rehide the map.

Has anyone ever done that? If so, what happened?

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2012, 07:30:34 am »

Reclaims don't suffer terribly, at least not for awhile, loading the reclaim may take long. But look at a fort like sword thunders, many people had quite playable FPS after reclaiming.

But its not the same as killing an active fort entirely with magma while saving a few dwarves to continue and test the cleaned fort, or save without relclaiming.

It would be a megaproject to design that experiment alone. Just a fort that's designed to die be renewed in 5 yrs time in game.

Not something I'm volunteering for...

But I recommend one big flat level fort thats easy to fill with magma, and obsidianize. Two Z levels tops. (not that the idea behind that is different then vaporizing or smashing stone)

Also some objects will survive, so the fort would need t be zero constructions and in some kind of melt able stone layer? no metals...

But what are the results have we established some curve graph with an outward life expectancy of a fort... like 25 yrs in game, without reclaiming? Does artificially removing items decrease that to say 10 years?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:40:01 am by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2012, 01:56:14 pm »

Yeah, sorry for not updating this, I've been otherwise diverted...

I'll get around to the sock test sometime, I swear.

Anyway, I haven't found a definite source of permanent FPS decay in the system yet.  Granted, none of my experiments have gone beyond 10 years, but in those 10 years, I have had no notable gradual creep in memory consumption or decay in FPS.

This IS, however, with several controls -

First, nothing is dying except for a few rattlesnakes that get killed by the caravan guards a few years into the game.  We have not yet set up the puppy-smasher fortress that will test the effects of large-scale death on FPS. 

Second, there has yet to be a large-scale clothing rot test. 

Third, the fortress is not expanding in any way, and as such, no new dwarves are pathfinding, no new items are being (permanently) added, and there isn't more and more open space to pathfind over.

In order for a full and complete test, all other factors have to be gradually eliminated as we move in on the true source of gradual FPS decay, however, all current signs point to the notion that, basically, it's something done by the player that is causing all this permanent FPS loss.

If you were to very meticulously prevent any clothing rot or excavation or construction or warfare, you could run a fortress hypothetically forever...

... Of course, why would you WANT to run a fortress where you didn't build anything or kill anything, but that's a different story.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2012, 02:18:20 pm »

Yeah, sorry for not updating this, I've been otherwise diverted...

I'll get around to the sock test sometime, I swear.

... Of course, why would you WANT to run a fortress where you didn't build anything or kill anything, but that's a different story.

Thanks for the update, I figured possibly as much since the OP was not edited with a summary. And of course even if we knew exactly what slowed forts down, we'd probably still do it cause it was fun =)
I voted for BANANA!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2012, 02:25:11 pm »

Thanks for the update, I figured possibly as much since the OP was not edited with a summary. And of course even if we knew exactly what slowed forts down, we'd probably still do it cause it was fun =)

I can say this: Open space kills your FPS.  Pathfinding becomes geometrically less efficient (As in twice as much open space = four times longer to path) the more space there is in a fortress, so cram as much together as possible, and avoid those large rectangular open rooms.  Sprawl vertically, not horizontally when possible. 

Also, eliminate anything that you don't need from the game.  Magma-dump old socks, stones you aren't going to use, extra trade crap you can't sell, etc.  If your stockpiles overflow, don't dig out more stockpiles, dump and atomsmash your excess.

You can "undig" some parts of your fortress using DFHack.  I haven't done it, but I'm told that if you seal off and unreveal parts of your fortress, you can get some FPS back from the game.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2012, 06:10:24 pm »

Pathable open space or any open space? Does above ground air count?

I'm planning a megaproject and I'd like to not die of FPS boredom.

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2012, 10:40:21 pm »

How much do well-placed traffic designations help alleviate the open space issue? That could be another thing to test when you get around to the open-space testing.

It would be interesting to see if designating traffic zones like below would improve FPS noticeably, with larger rooms, of course.
Code: [Select]
F = Forbidden
H = High Traffic
╔══┼══╗
║FFHFF║
║FFHFF║
┼HHHHH┼
║FFHFF║
║FFHFF║
╚══┼══╝
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2012, 10:54:42 pm »

Right, I've done some testing on open space. All testing was done with modded (nosleep/drink/eat, speed 0) dwarves digging out areas of white sand, in full screen, with as little as possible running in the background.

Conclusions:
Empty space slows stuff up.
The accessibility of space has no noticeable effect.
Channelled out space is actually worse than floored over space.
Designating things does slow stuff down, but nothing like as much as actually having them accessible.
Weather etc. has a significant impact on FPS.
There are significant seasonal variations in FPS.
Caravans still slow things up after leaving the map.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 19, 2012, 02:08:40 am »

You can "undig" some parts of your fortress using DFHack.  I haven't done it, but I'm told that if you seal off and unreveal parts of your fortress, you can get some FPS back from the game.

So revealing (and exploring) the caverns will cause a permanent FPS drop?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2012, 10:31:32 am »

It's not the revealing, it's the connection.  The larger the open space, the more it hurts FPS.  Caverns have large amounts of open space, and they hurt your FPS even before you reveal them.  What happens when you completely seal off a region, though, is that you can semi-permanently prevent them from interfering with pathfinding.

The open sky is bad for FPS, as well.  Making less sky above ground level in worldgen makes the game run faster.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 21, 2012, 03:25:22 pm »

Well, of course you wouldnt want to play a fort doing NONE of those things.  But it may well turn out that only ONE thing in particular seems to murder FPS in more normal gameplay.  For instance, it's always pretty much the kill list, or something.

If that's the case, then it would still be very useful to know, because we could play very fun fortresses for a long time, doing all the fun stuff, but simply avoiding too much of that one fun thing.  Not to mention the likelihood of toady fixing it being higher if it can be pinpointed (i.e. the whole point of the thread).

Posting to make the above inane comments and to follow.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 23, 2012, 12:23:30 am »

I have the pleasure to announce the results of my mass bunny smashing experiment.

Start of the fortress = 1700 FPS
2 waves of migrants + wild animals roaming + a couple caravans come and gone + about 30 baby bunnies = 950 FPS
Same as above + 22,500 bunnies = 0.2 FPS
Same as above minus 22,500 bunnies smashed = 150FPS
Same as above + all the rest of the bunnies + all but 7 dwarves smashed = 225 FPS

Time it takes to save the game now = about 1 minutes (interestingly it stalls on "cleaning game objects").

So 22,500 corpses listed in the missing page seems to reduce my FPS by a factor of 4.  Not really as bad as expected.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 23, 2012, 12:50:18 am »

I have the pleasure to announce the results of my mass bunny smashing experiment.

Start of the fortress = 1700 FPS
2 waves of migrants + wild animals roaming + a couple caravans come and gone + about 30 baby bunnies = 950 FPS
Same as above + 22,500 bunnies = 0.2 FPS
Same as above minus 22,500 bunnies smashed = 150FPS
Same as above + all the rest of the bunnies + all but 7 dwarves smashed = 225 FPS

Time it takes to save the game now = about 1 minutes (interestingly it stalls on "cleaning game objects").

So 22,500 corpses listed in the missing page seems to reduce my FPS by a factor of 4.  Not really as bad as expected.

Haha, thanks for the test run, that gives a little perspective. The way I play I would imagine reaching 22,500 missing and dead might take a few minutes  :P
I voted for BANANA!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 23, 2012, 01:05:20 am »

Is that final result after saving Quitting, and reloading?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:09:30 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2012, 01:59:13 am »

Is that final result after saving Quitting, and reloading?
yup

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18