Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb  (Read 87517 times)

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb
« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2012, 01:46:17 am »

Posting to watch. This thread is fascinating.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 24, 2012, 05:34:29 am »

Is that final result after saving Quitting, and reloading?
yup
Hm, this should NOT happen. How you created bunnies? Is it still happening after butchering bunnies and smashing products?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 24, 2012, 05:57:18 am »

It's not too bad, but then again i've never had 25000 corpses. :'(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 24, 2012, 11:47:59 am »

average FPS of 80, woot, woot. My computer fucking sucks, that's why.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 24, 2012, 12:07:31 pm »

average FPS of 80, woot, woot. My computer fucking sucks, that's why.

The FPSs quoted here are largely from modded and specifically generated fortresses designed for testing things. As such, they largely have no wild animals, very few dwarves (unless that's what they're testing), no caverns, small areas, low heights, no moving water, and basically everything else possible to minimise extraneous FPS hits that aren't being tested. As such, the starting FPSs can be ridiculous. Mine, for example, was about 5,000, but my normal FPS struggles to get above 50.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2012, 12:37:46 pm »

Is that final result after saving Quitting, and reloading?
yup
Hm, this should NOT happen. How you created bunnies? Is it still happening after butchering bunnies and smashing products?

Bunnies were created by modding the bunnies' litter size to several thousand (and turning off their eating, etc. so theyd stay in the smasher with no grass).  Then I just smashed the bunnies, no butchering.  The hypothesis was that the game having to keep track of the entire list of all 22,500 individual corpses in the {u} -> {dead/deceased} menu will slow down FPS.

quitting and reloading does not change what is listed in the dead/deceased list, so if that hypothesis is right, you should not expect to alleviate any of the lag by quitting and restarting.  Killing stuff adds permanent and unique entries into that list, and therefore will inevitably wear away at your fps over time.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:43:18 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2012, 10:11:49 pm »

GavJ is correct - this is one of the evils of stl vectors.  It's also why the game gets so slow in general when you have any sort of item list tens of thousands of items long (which is entirely possible in a normal game).  In order to find anything on the list, it has to iterate through numerous pointers to find the portion of the vector that contains the specified creature - and likely enough, there may just be an iterator going through every creature in the creature vector every frame, and having to check the status of every creature to see what it's doing, and then seeing a "still dead" status before moving on to check the next one.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GenJeFT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2012, 10:50:07 pm »

My Theorems:
*   Creation and subsequent destruction of variable numbers of non-like-typed items may create FPS loss (IE. create 10 bins, create 9 mugs, destroy 3 bins, create 10 bins, destroy 3 mugs, create 9 mugs, destroy 15 bins, destroy 10 mugs, create....etc) such that entire sets of item-creation jobs are not being immediately destroyed, and could possibly create empty vector indices within the lists as it is not guaranteed that an entire stack of a created good are destroyed entirely, which could, and logically would, free up the memory location if done haphazardly.
*   Corollary to the above: or at least a simplification of it. Each job set of a specific non-unique item could be creating a list set in the item vector list. If the above holds true then destroying only part of the list would not necessarily free up the memory associated with said list set to allow that set to be used for something else. Iff, (if and only if) the entirety of the item-set is destroyed the memory is freed.

I think this is the problem. To show what I am talking about I am going to mention my first "successfull" adventure carecter.

The water flask (or waterskin or whatever) you get when you start an adventure guy holds three water. Normaly when you go to drink it says waterskin (3) or whatever saying how much water you have. One day I drank two of the three water and refilled the waterskin when I noticed something like this (note, none of this is exact, its midnight and I am not loading the game right now to worry about it).

waterskin (2)
water

Which means this. When I first filled the waterskin it created a stack of three water. I drank two of the three water. So the item list went like this.

water (3)

to

water

When I refilled the waterskin instead of combining the stack of two water with the water already there it instead created this setup.

water (2)
water

Therefore creating TWO enteries in the item list because the system does not combine like items in inventories like it should. Logicaly it should have combined them into water (3). BUT the game does not do that and instead kept the old entry of water and just added a new entry of water (2).

These errors can easily add up over time and decrease FPS while increasing file save size. Will do more !SCIENCE! tomarrow to see if this continues.

*edit*

Confirmed. Instead of combining like entries the system creates a new entry. Tested several different ways in adventure mode.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:01:31 am by GenJeFT »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 06, 2012, 04:15:00 am »

There is an evidence that job-seeking iterates over all units, including dead ones ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5986#c22859 )
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

luppolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2012, 05:28:37 am »

There is an evidence that job-seeking iterates over all units, including dead ones ( http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5986#c22859 )

somehow, useless migrants causing trouble even after 50 levels drop or magma bath doesn't surprise me at all

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 06, 2012, 07:26:25 am »

Well you never know when friendly zombie soapmakers may come in handy after a future update.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 06, 2012, 09:18:31 am »

Well you never know when friendly zombie soapmakers may come in handy after a future update.
Or friendly converted zombie troll administrators.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 06, 2012, 11:38:36 am »

I think we're going to need to do more science on what FPS killers kill FPS linearly and which ones kill it geometrically. Even if 25,000 corpses cut your FPS from its highest possible level by a factor of 4, you don't really know what's going on until you check 50,000 corpses and see if it cuts it by a factor of 8 or a factor of 16.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Bulwersator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 07, 2012, 03:42:18 am »

<post to watch from a new account>
the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #239 on: June 07, 2012, 11:22:03 am »

Why the new account?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18