Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb  (Read 87530 times)

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!! Thread: Operation FPS Bomb
« Reply #255 on: June 27, 2012, 11:16:25 pm »

SCIENCE!

Spoiler: Amazing! (click to show/hide)
That definitely helps put things in perspective.  I assume these were all conducted wit the default traffic settings (normal=2, high=1), and the whole map set to normal (=2) traffic value?

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 28, 2012, 02:43:52 am »

Each test was exactly this process:

* extract FPS Bomb - Fork.rar into DF/data/save (fresh each time)
* start DF
* continue playing
* select "FPS Bomb - Fork"
* follow the test process as listed
* unpause
* when the season ended, "die" in dfhack

No changes were made to traffic settings, or anything else.

Also, I think I figured out why "Test 6: 128 z-levels of floor" went so poorly.  There may have been something pathing on those new floors.  I didn't check.  Maybe for the next test I should make sterilization with lava one of the steps. 

Time for some !!SCIENCE!!.

I just reran test 6 with everything filled with lava by liquids, and the  FPS meter swung for for a bit, going up to 420 with spikes to 430 at one point.  It then settled back down to a pretty steady 200, which is our reading.  It seemed strange that the final reading was lower than some of the intermediate readings.  None of the other tests had that effect.  The 200 was more steady than the other tests.  Anyway, two variables were changed, so it doesn't tell us much beyond the need for sterilization or worldgen without caverns. 

ghostwoods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 28, 2012, 09:17:12 am »

Time for some !!SCIENCE!!

Very interesting stuff. Thank you.

When I get a chance -- probably not today -- I'll run a few more tests with inaccessible open flooring. The question of whether (discovered cavern floor) == (DFhacked inaccessible floor) == (mined+resealed floor) is a damned good one.

Xen0n, I'll also have a go at running a crafting test like you suggested, and I'll make sure I do it after the two hard-coded migrant waves just to reduce that variable. Seems to me that I could get hold of a huge stack of "free" stone with grotesque abuse of the embark points :D

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 28, 2012, 10:45:09 am »

Did you remember to save and reload before measuring? That can improve FPS.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]