Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Why is Dwarf Fortress fun?  (Read 28323 times)

Vanaheimer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Dwarf Fortress fun?
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2012, 08:57:37 pm »

It's fun because there are no rules.

If you want to do it, you can do it. Be it build a 100 Z level tower, colonise HFS, or become an omnicidal psycopath intent on destroying every living thing in the world. Nothing is stopping you expect your imagination and your skill.

zoutzakje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Dwarf Fortress fun?
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2012, 02:19:41 am »

what I always enjoy about games like Dwarf Fortress is the complexity. I love the fact that I have to spend many hours on the wiki and forum in order to learn the game.
The only other game in which I have experienced such complexity (and an equal amount of FUN) is AI war, a space RTS. I like a lot of games and I can play a nice shooter (not CoD) or a nice RPG for lots of hours. But there comes a time when you have done everything the game has to offer. completed all side quests, beaten all difficulties, got all achievements if there are any, completed the game with all possible skill and class/perk combinations... And that's when I inevitably move back to games like DF and Ai war. The possibilities are endless which means it simply never gets boring for me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]