Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblins infiltrating through wall grates  (Read 1147 times)

lostsomething

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblins infiltrating through wall grates
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:45:02 am »

Basically I had a setup wherin I'd dug a large underground channel from the local river which passed through a group of wall grates (intended to filter out fish and hostiles) and finally to a point above my dining hall where it'd fall down through another group of grates (for dwarf safety) for a perpetual waterfall before falling into a cistern. It worked well for many years but lately I started getting axe-goblins and after rechecking my front gate and trap-lined backdoor and not finding any evidence of them I finally saw them breaking in. What is happening is that they go to the open above-ground part of the river, dive in, ride the current underground, somehow swim directly *through* the grates, and finally get themselves dumped out in the middle of my dining hall.

Is there a nice way to handle this? I suppose I could put some floor grates up above where the water falls into but even if that kept them out (I'd think it would, they weren't falling all the way down into the cistern after all) I'd still have a clump of goblins stuck in there forever.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Goblins infiltrating through wall grates
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:55:59 am »

Moving water can push creatures through wall grates (and also through wall bars and statues).  Putting multiple grates in a row helps but does not completely prevent this.  And fortifications are completely useless.

Floor grates on the other hand will completely block them out.  Nothing can pass through a floor grate, even with flowing water involved.  But that doesn't help you with the initial problem, goblins getting swept into your inlet.  To fix that, you could block that inlet and then replace it with a pump which draws water from the river to feed your waterfall channel.  You should be able to do this with a single pump, powered by a windmill build directly above it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:23:54 am »

I always use pumps to get water into my fort now, what with the 'stagnant water' issue. As pumps can pump through floor grates, and nothing can destroy something on a z-level above them, this makes for a perfectly safe and clean water source.

lostsomething

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:57:37 am »

Still haven't really tried out pumps yet... Ah well, this gives me a good excuse to.

I also wondered if maybe it might be a workable idea to weaponize it, do something like put an eight story fall between the inlet and the dining room... Still though, they'd be going smoosh on top of the water supply, can't be sanitary that.