Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ToadyOne, what did you put into the water?  (Read 9595 times)

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ToadyOne, what did you put into the water?
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:27:01 am »

I embarked on 34.04 with a PopCap of 100. Now I'm hoarding around ~170 Dwarves, with fourtysomething being babies and a busload of kids.

I'm getting those "Urist McBirthmachine has given birth to <anothersucker>" and "Urist McBirthmachine <dropping necessary work for the survival of the fort>: seeking infant" waaaay to often.

How do you produce latex in DF, and which job or workshop turns it into condoms?

Or do I have to use the standard dwarven contraceptive: MAGMA?
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ToadyOne, what did you put into the water?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:34:24 am »

Seems a lot of your dwarves were already pregnant when your pop hit 100. And some migration waves come with tons of kids and pregnant couples, too. You can disable pregnancies inside your fort completely by modifying the ini file, thatīs what I do.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:45:24 am »

To clarify, the standard population cap only applies to migrants - if you want to limit the number of babies and children, then you need to update the BABY_CHILD_CAP accordingly.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:09:49 am »

historical migrants with families -> more dwarves are already married -> more children concieved faster compared to DF2010 -> by year 5 you've got tons of children.  I don't mind them necessarily, and like the idea that in 10 years  a large part of the working population will have been born in the fort.  I just need to start thinking about making a burrow for children to get them out of the way.  One of my kids is a legendary woodcrafter, and another has grabbed a pick and become an adequate miner.  Probably enabled the labor in Therapist, but I think you have to select a special option to turn that on, and I don't think I did.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:19:00 am »

historical migrants with families -> more dwarves are already married -> more children concieved faster compared to DF2010 -> by year 5 you've got tons of children.  I don't mind them necessarily, and like the idea that in 10 years  a large part of the working population will have been born in the fort.  I just need to start thinking about making a burrow for children to get them out of the way.  One of my kids is a legendary woodcrafter, and another has grabbed a pick and become an adequate miner.  Probably enabled the labor in Therapist, but I think you have to select a special option to turn that on, and I don't think I did.
Make sure weather you cheated or not. If not, then give the minor a nice room.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 09:27:35 am »

You must have cheated somehow... Usually kids only do hauling labors (if anything).

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:14:32 am »

To clarify, the standard population cap only applies to migrants - if you want to limit the number of babies and children, then you need to update the BABY_CHILD_CAP accordingly.

This. I usually change it to 20:20 (max of 20 babies, or 20% of the total population).

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 11:12:31 am »

I put childs into danger room...

They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 11:40:14 am »

You must have cheated somehow... Usually kids only do hauling labors (if anything).
They'll do strange moods. Not sure if they're *supposed* to, but I've seen it happen. They also apparently help with the farm, because I noticed a couple who aged up to peasant with "Dabbling Grower".

The hauling labors cause some minor problems in my fort because I like to restrict the kids to a burrow that isn't close to any goblin snatcher routes... but that means lots of job cancellations for "store item in stockpile" unless I'm very careful to include all my stockpiles in the warren.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:44:33 am »

Kids will do a few random things.  They will remove constructions, and I'm pretty sure they'll harvest too.  I've had kids grow into peasants as growers because of that.  I'm not positive, but I think removing constructions gives exp too, so it might be possible to have a mason or carpenter immediately upon growing into a peasant.

It's mostly academic though, because of the paltry amount of a head start they're getting that way, and you can't get them to do constructions or anything while they're kids.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 11:48:32 am »

Hm, yeah... when it comes to harvesting anybody will help out.

As for crafting... kids can become possessed and create an artifact. But in that case they should usually not get any experience (like regular mooding dorfs who instantly become legendary after creating an artifact) - unless that has changed.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 11:53:02 am »

I was thinking of using this mod called Silphium: Dwarven Babystopper (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104380.0) to deal with the high rate of reproduction from all the married people in DF2012. Note that I have not tried Dwarven Babystopper myself yet--I just bookmarked it because I've been thinking about this problem.

It's supposed to give you a new herb which you can brew. When dwarves drink the brew, they can't reproduce for about half a season, according to the author.

I will probably decrease the baby cap in my fortress since the primary issue, for me, is the sheer overwhelming number of them, rather than who's having them.
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 04:09:21 pm »

As for crafting... kids can become possessed and create an artifact. But in that case they should usually not get any experience (like regular mooding dorfs who instantly become legendary after creating an artifact) - unless that has changed.

Kids who get possessed don't get legendary status, but if it's a fey mood or a withdrawn mood, they can go legendary.  So you end up with a blinking legendary woodcrafter child who doesn't do any work.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 10:42:10 pm »

I put childs into danger room...

I'm sigging this.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 05:49:17 am »

The children in my fort are hauling stuff, and one just built a wall! O_O I'm scared.

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 
Pages: [1] 2