Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: *POOF!* Dwarf Fortress is now a generic adventure game  (Read 37139 times)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
*POOF!* Dwarf Fortress is now a generic adventure game
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:08:11 pm »

What is the plot?
&
Who/what is the final boss?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: *POOF!* Dwarf Fortress is now a generic adventure game
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:11:43 pm »

The plot is that you are the descendant of [Insert name here] the Pork of Pigs the crimson fiend and Armok, and bandits have taken over your town, and you have to kill them with your super awesome chosen one powers.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:32:03 pm »

Don't forget to bring the dragon egg back!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:39:00 pm »

Already talked about, more or less. Good points there though.

EA's newest hit Dwarf Fortress: Retribution takes the popular franchise into a bold new direction. Abandoning the ASCII in favor of state-of-the-art graphics, this immersive game presents Dwarf Fortress as it was always meant to be played.

"I have always been an avid fan of Dwarf Fortress, and I'm proud to finally make it into a game that is as accessible to new players as it is for the veterans." says John Thompson from the EA marketing division. "From the first person perspective you get a perfect view to the dark, claustrophobic mines where the goblins and demons are waiting for you behind each corner."

The damage system is more streamlined, while keeping the classic splints and crutches as health pickups. The accurate bodypart-centric damage is also there, and in boss fights like the dragon you must first destroy its claws before getting a chance to strike its heart. Dwarf Fortress boasts over a dozen different weapons and an unique crafting system for upgrading them for either speed, damage or accuracy. "I always loved the detailed geology in the original game. That is why each gem has an element associated with it for a temporary stat boost."

While the plot of Dwarf Fotress: Retribution is still a secret, the pre-release cutscenes have given some insights into the new world EA has created. You take on the role of Ulrich the dwarf, and with the aid of the beautiful elven sorceress Cacame you are sent down to the deepest mines to assault the gobling fortress. Ulrich is betrayed by his commander and he discovers a great secret threatening the fate of the world itself.

The Dwarf Fortress has indeed come a long way from its humble origins and matured into a full-fledged fantasy shooter. Fast-paced combat and the dark setting are sure to make this a must-have for fantasy gamers and hardcore online gamers alike.

Details:
-Three levels raging from mines and underground caverns to the massive dark fortress
-Collect the mysterious adamantium to increase your stats and gain new abilities
-Buy new armors, ranging from rope reed clothes to golden plate mail
-5 boss fights against the most imaginative monsters ever created
-Five different weapons with three upgrades each
-Helpful support characters with healing spells and offensive magic
-12 player multiplayer with modes like deathmatch arena and mine flags

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:03:13 pm »

You play as Azod Gloombolt a goblin snatcher who's on a divine mission from Armok. A long time ago Armok accidently created a race of sadistic monsters known as dwarves. Now your job is to rescue the dwarven children from their slavery and deliver them to the safety of your tribe.
Play through the singleplayer campaign and battle through 5 great fortresses including:
Boatmurdered, Headshoots, Syrupleaf, Ardentdikes and Gemclod!
Or play online against hundreds of other players in one of many player built levels.

Dodge traps, kill dwarven militia and fight dragons using the patented Multigrasp(Tm) combat system. With hundreds of weapons and a skill based levelling system you can accomplish your mission any way you want.

Bonus DLC The Ravaging of the Elves. Because seriously fuck the elves.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 03:47:14 pm »

The premise: shadowy figures keep waving back at you. You're going to steal all their treasure, by Armok, or die in a cloud of greasy black smoke trying.

The dragon is a minor nuisance, not a boss. You can kill the thing with your bare hands.

For the final challenge, you have to discover a command that used to do nothing in particular but now wins the game. Unless you say it at the wrong end of the room, in which case you get !!fun!!. Also, don't attack the giant clam.

But to get that one last gorram point, you have to leave the magazines at Witt's End.

Hey, that's less inobvious than the Plover magic word -- the only clue to try to teleport into that room is that there is no other way! (Yeah, if you wondered how to even get to the end game -- the answer is "Plover".)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Giygas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 04:38:52 pm »

you are the magma.
infinite generation of dwarves used you to destroy enemies, friends and the world.
no more!!!
you will be the only one who decides when, why and who kill.
you are the magma: the world will tremble before thy fury.

mikelon

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 12:08:37 am »

EA's newest hit Dwarf Fortress: Retribution takes the popular franchise into a bold new direction. Abandoning the ASCII in favor of state-of-the-art graphics, this immersive game presents Dwarf Fortress as it was always meant to be played.

"I have always been an avid fan of Dwarf Fortress, and I'm proud to finally make it into a game that is as accessible to new players as it is for the veterans." says John Thompson from the EA marketing division. "From the first person perspective you get a perfect view to the dark, claustrophobic mines where the goblins and demons are waiting for you behind each corner."

The damage system is more streamlined, while keeping the classic splints and crutches as health pickups. The accurate bodypart-centric damage is also there, and in boss fights like the dragon you must first destroy its claws before getting a chance to strike its heart. Dwarf Fortress boasts over a dozen different weapons and an unique crafting system for upgrading them for either speed, damage or accuracy. "I always loved the detailed geology in the original game. That is why each gem has an element associated with it for a temporary stat boost."

While the plot of Dwarf Fotress: Retribution is still a secret, the pre-release cutscenes have given some insights into the new world EA has created. You take on the role of Ulrich the dwarf, and with the aid of the beautiful elven sorceress Cacame you are sent down to the deepest mines to assault the gobling fortress. Ulrich is betrayed by his commander and he discovers a great secret threatening the fate of the world itself.

The Dwarf Fortress has indeed come a long way from its humble origins and matured into a full-fledged fantasy shooter. Fast-paced combat and the dark setting are sure to make this a must-have for fantasy gamers and hardcore online gamers alike.

Details:
-Three levels raging from mines and underground caverns to the massive dark fortress
-Collect the mysterious adamantium to increase your stats and gain new abilities

you forgot the DLC

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 06:23:43 am »

You are Urist, a young dwarf only just past his childhood. As such your only skillset outside conversation is the growing and harvesting of crops. A task you have gladly taken upon yourself in within your modest dwarven outpost.
't is a quiet charming mining outpost, untroubled by brutal war between the dwarven and elven civilizations. Dwarves work the soil and trade the ore they dig up to the mauntainhome. It's a peaceful existance...until now.

"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
" the people shout. Great rejoicing before the inevitable bloodshed, because it wasn't long 'ere the elves got wind of the discovery that could tilt the war against their favor.
You were deep underground within the fertile caverns underground tending your crops as your outpost was slaughtered in an elven attack. They were thourough and brutal, leaving not a single stone untouched. They failed however to find the single piece of
armor and weapon the local blacksmith made in preperation for the king's arrival.
You are Urist, armed with and clad in
and with nothing left but a burning desire for revenge.

Fight againsnt hordes of monsters and elves as you cut your way to the heart of the elven kingdom, only to discover they are lead by foul
. Invade
itself to cut off the roots of corruption. Your long journey culminates in an epic battle against the
himself, a giant elephant twisted into humanoid form!
You are Urist, and only you can save the world!

Fixed spoilers!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:35:19 am by Jelle »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:29:46 am »

* Oliolli is amused by the use of spoiler-tags around adamantine, but not demons or hell.

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 08:58:30 am »

Who/what is the final boss?
Did you not just answer that question?
&
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

luisedgm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 02:18:05 pm »

Details:

That makes my blood boil in rage.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 02:52:19 pm »

Details:

What's really fantastic about this is that EA just remade the X-Com style tactical game Syndicate into an FPS with multiplayer, so it sounds plausible that some EA marketing twit would be stupid enough to try remaking a game into a completely different genre.

RenoFox does a wonderful job tapping into the latent hatred of FPS gaming in this forum, as well.  I honestly don't understand why there is such hatred, myself, especially since I never liked FPS games in the first place, and have generally been more interested in fringy indie games to begin with, but hey, whatever.

What it really needs, though, is to spend more time focusing on how it will have multiplayer, and no customizable maps, with DLC for new maps coming out that you will have to pay $5 per map for.  Also, it needs weapon unlocks in multiplayer, because that adds "Role Playing Elements", since Role Playing is all about leveling up your weapons, right?  Be sure to include "Killstreak rewards" like a magma cannon that destroys half the creatures on the map that only players who shell out extra for day one DLC can have access to. 

EDIT:
And the DLCs should just be maps recycled from the Battlefield series of games and resold back to EA players for another $5, and all the upgrades that come from patches can only go to players who buy all the DLC, thus putting as much pressure on players to buy all the DLC as possible.

You should also allow for DLC that powergrinds your character for you - just a slap down $10, and get stat-cap character, possibly with a raise-the-stat-cap bonus just for spending money so that people who have no control over their spending habits will always have an advantage over players who want to actually play the game to get better.

EDIT 2:
OH! And we need rubber-banding.  Modern games punish the players who do well and coddle the numbnuts.  So make it so that the only way to fight against non-impossible enemies is to purposefully shoot yourself in the legs repeatedly and use every single health item religiously.  Make sure that players who explore and collect multiple items and try to enjoy finding things in the game are punished for being different from the people who just dumbly mash buttons at anything that moves by denying sections of the game to them as part of rubber banding.

Further, there should be only one upgrade combination that instantly makes the game so easy that nothing else matters (preferably DLC only), while everything else is crippled by layers of suck so as to punish anyone who wants to do anything other than use the exact same min-maxed equipment every single other player is using.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:01:59 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 02:59:21 pm »

I honestly don't understand why there is such hatred, myself, especially since I never liked FPS games in the first place, and have generally been more interested in fringy indie games to begin with, but hey, whatever.
You're like, so ahead of the curve, maaan. :P

But no, that post is pretty funny. Of course, if it actually happened I'd most likely go beserk, Urist style.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 03:15:18 pm »

Of course, if it actually happened I'd most likely go beserk, Urist style.

You would definitely not start with Urist style berserkity.

1. Get a sharp piece of metal and some armor
2. Go to the EA HQ
3. Go berserk, Urist Style
4. ? ? ?
5. PROFIT!!!

There's the plan.

I must say though, I don't understand hatred towards FPS games in general. Hatred towards mainstream, run-of-the-mill FPS that are churned out on a yearly basis such as Call of Duty, sure... But FPS as a genre? S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Red Orchestra, Metro 2033, some of my favorite games are FPS games. The difference here is that they are nowhere near average.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:18:04 pm by Oliolli »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7