Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The update from a couple days ago  (Read 2255 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
The update from a couple days ago
« on: May 29, 2012, 06:20:36 am »

Dwarves won't build walls or install floodgates in supid ways as often.
And so, another bit of dwarven culture falls to bugfixes...On the other hand, this'll greatly reduce dwarven deaths from stupidity.

Any other thoughts? Am I too late to comment? Etc?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: The update from a couple days ago
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 09:02:09 am »

I think that's coming in 34.11. As far as I know, 34.07 through 34.10 have been primarily hauling related.

But I will miss the days when my Legendary mason decides to stand on the scaffolding outside my super-tower, then mysteriously vanish sometime around Goblin Christmas.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:38:17 am »

This is both good and bad.

Good, for obvious reasons. Masons wont wall themselves in, and now the player doesnt have to set up fiddly little ways around the problem.
And bad, becase walling-self-in-mason is part of the identity of the game. Whats next? No baby-shields? No killer carp?

Though changes to these things were inevitable, and untimately good.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:38:45 am »

Good, for obvious reasons. Masons wont wall themselves in, and now the player doesnt have to set up fiddly little ways around the problem.
And bad, becase walling-self-in-mason is part of the identity of the game. Whats next? No baby-shields? No killer carp?

This is a very interesting thing about indie games. In major releases people rage constantly over the most minor bugs imaginable, and in indie games they're praised as part of the culture.  :P

Of course DF being developed by one man and being free pending donation has something to do with it of course, but it's still amusing.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:23:52 pm »

You can still use the same fiddly techniques to keep dwarves on the side you want them on. This time you just need to use those techniques less frequently.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:34:14 pm »

I think that's coming in 34.11. As far as I know, 34.07 through 34.10 have been primarily hauling related.

But I will miss the days when my Legendary mason decides to stand on the scaffolding outside my super-tower, then mysteriously vanish sometime around Goblin Christmas.

I know. I assumed that Toady hadn't hacked into the computer of everyone who has downloaded a copy of DF to update it*, nor that he waited the mention that he had done this until after an update.
*This would be an interesting way to add patches, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 09:34:48 pm »

I like to think that Toady has multiple personalities. It would explain a lot.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

dsi1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 10:14:05 pm »

No fire blindness?
Me: I developed a way to catch demons which shoot web, then I forced it to work in a sweatshop and shoot its magma-proof web at children so I can collect it to make clothes.

Friend: Holy shit.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 06:35:22 am »

And no more waterfall-jumpers. What's next, brokers tradind when you want them to? Marksdwarves not hitting enemies with crossbows?
Sig

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 03:08:13 pm »

While this will certainly bring much improvement into the world of building things, I'm more worried about the few times where whatever new changes Toady put in doesn't catch their stupidity. (He said "often" not "always"). I mean at least before they followed a predictable pattern, if they were going to be stupid then we knew how they would act. Now we have no idea when a dwarf will decide to stand on the wrong side. For example, what if you were trying to wall them into a corner to save them from an FB or something? Previously you could just build it the right way and it would work, but now your dwarf might go "that's a tiny space in there, why would I ever want to wall myself in?" and build it from the "wrong" side. It is fully possible that the dwarves have become even worse with the upcoming update because now they are more unpredictable in the times that they are stupid, even if overall they happen less.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 04:24:35 pm »

They build from the closest side. It's actually easier to understand than what they did before.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 05:48:18 pm »

Closest by direct distance though, not by pathing (according to Toady). That means that if a dwarf is standing two z-levels up north of a wall that you want built when he takes the job then he will try to build it from the north side. If he is standing south of the wall the south side and so on. That can lead to just as many problems as the always building from the north did, it's just that they will be a little harder to predict since they depend on where your dwarf was at the time that they took the job.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 11:40:27 pm »

No, that's incorrect. Choosing which tile to stand on uses pathing to decide. Toady explained that in a quick answer earlier in the thread in a Future of the Fortress response. Choosing which tile to dig uses coordinate proximity, because making that use pathing would be costly..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:21:41 am by King Mir »

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 12:04:02 am »

Presumably you can still use the diagonal wall non building trick to get em to wall themselves in though.
Magma is overrated.