Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: *POOF!* Dwarf Fortress is now a generic adventure game  (Read 37123 times)

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *POOF!* Dwarf Fortress is now a generic adventure game
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 06:44:18 pm »

You forgot to add in a "dynamic achievement system that creates new achievements as you unlock more" that are all for dumb things and easy to get but push the reward button in the player's head.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 06:56:30 pm »

You forgot to add in a "dynamic achievement system that creates new achievements as you unlock more" that are all for dumb things and easy to get but push the reward button in the player's head.

Tsen has earned the achivement: Posting Up! for posting in this thread
Tsen has unlocked beard 32D in character customization!
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 09:06:41 pm »

The Sims: Dwarf Fortress.

Think about it.

EDIT: I meant by this that EA isn't all bad.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:15:32 pm by Buttery_Mess »
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 10:07:29 pm »

Think about it.

The Sims 1?  Yeah, that was a fun game.  Or at least, I enjoyed modding it, not so much the "playing the game" part. 

Sims 3, where they do things like put in pointless multiplayer features and punish players for not using them, and built their entire model on DLC when players of the Sims were generating content for free?  I haven't bothered playing it. 

But then, the modding community makes or breaks a lot of games, which in turn makes it a function of how nice the companies are to modders. 

Of course they've published good games - they wouldn't be rolling around in so much money if they hadn't, but the trend hasn't been entirely positive recently.

I'd respect EA a bit more if they didn't make so many dick moves regarding things like pulling out of Steam and forcing me into signing up for Origin without even asking for my permission just because I played Mass Effect 2 or buying all rights to the NFL so that there couldn't even be legitimate competition to their Madden series.  (Not that I've played one of those games since Super Nintendo, anyways...)

And they did that thing where they took a classic isometric tactical combat game and turned it into a FPS with absolutely no respect for what made the original a classic in order to make it exactly the same as all their other FPS games (although I suppose X-Com's memory was desecrated long before that...)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:55:46 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 11:04:27 pm »

Some of us still play Super Nintendo. And its immediate predecessor. When we're not too busy debugging c++ libraries they're using to make World Generation even more fun in Dwarf Fortress.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 11:53:12 pm »

Think about it.

The Sims 1?  Yeah, that was a fun game.  Or at least, I enjoyed modding it, not so much the "playing the game" part. 

Sims 3, where they do things like put in pointless multiplayer features and punish players for not using them, and built their entire model on DLC when players of the Sims were generating content for free?  I haven't bothered playing it. 

But then, the modding community makes or breaks a lot of games, which in turn makes it a function of how nice the companies are to modders. 

Of course they've published good games - they wouldn't be rolling around in so much money if they hadn't, but the trend hasn't been entirely positive recently.

I'd respect EA a bit more if they didn't make so many dick moves regarding things like pulling out of Steam and forcing me into signing up for Origin without even asking for my permission just because I played Mass Effect 2 or buying all rights to the NFL so that there couldn't even be legitimate competition to their Madden series.  (Not that I've played one of those games since Super Nintendo, anyways...)

And they did that thing where they took a classic isometric tactical combat game and turned it into a FPS with absolutely no respect for what made the original a classic in order to make it exactly the same as all their other FPS games (although I suppose X-Com's memory was desecrated long before that...)
2 things... Sims 2 was the best of the series. Added a lot of stuff that Sims 1 needed like genetics and aging and such forth, but you're completely on point about 3. And whatever Sid Myer's game company is called (2K games, I think?) is remaking a true X-Com game. Check it out, it looks great.

On topic. Am I the only one who thinks of those old 80s/90s games when I hear "adventure game"? Cause what y'all are talking about are action-adventure games. But I could see Sierra's Dwarf Quest, what with all the crazy deaths they included in their games.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

maanahr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 04:40:20 am »

That suddenly reminded me of the DF spoiler adventure...

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 09:52:30 am »

On topic. Am I the only one who thinks of those old 80s/90s games when I hear "adventure game"? Cause what y'all are talking about are action-adventure games. But I could see Sierra's Dwarf Quest, what with all the crazy deaths they included in their games.

I would play the crap out of an old Sierra-styled Dwarf Quest.  Especially if it had a text interface instead of the point and click interface.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 10:30:03 am »

I would play the crap out of an old Sierra-styled Dwarf Quest.  Especially if it had a text interface instead of the point and click interface.

I'm actually halfway tempted to download that SCI editor I saw not too long ago and write one. I wouldn't have to graphics, cause it'd be DF, just use big ASCII for the graphics...

*sad music*
You've fallen into magma and are burnt to a crisp!
RESTORE RESTART QUIT
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:56:37 pm by dizzyelk »
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 11:55:02 pm »

No no no, if it's Sierra then the death quotes have to be smarmy with a hint of condescending.

"Oops, who'd have thunk that lava would be so dangerous? Hope you saved!"

"Too bad you lack thermal underwear. Looks like your in the frying pan now Urist!"

Grr, dislike Sierra adventure games so much! Though they're hilarious if other people are playing them. :P
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 11:51:25 am »

And whatever Sid Myer's game company is called (2K games, I think?) is remaking a true X-Com game. Check it out, it looks great.

Firaxis. 2K games is the publisher that Firaxis uses. Sid Meyer's company was not behind DNF (which I still prefer to call "did not finish"), and is pretty much the sole reason that we're getting a real X-Com game. 2K was either doing nothing with the X-Com IP at the time, or had just started up the shooter at 2K Marin, headed by that guy who got all the haters going with comments about how irrelevant a real remake of X-Com would be (despite the fact he knew a real remake was in progress). Given that 2K Marin made Bioshock 2, which is supposed to be good, the XCOM shooter might actually be good, though it's much too early to tell.

I expect 2K would probably turn DF into a shooter as well, if they acquired the rights. Probably wouldn't be as buggy or annoying as one produced by EA, though. (Does that mean a DF shooter made by EA would be more true to the spirit of the original?)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 01:14:05 pm »

4. ? ? ?
The wheely chair has been toppled!

As for the FPS thing, when being an FPS is the selling point for the game, expect hatred. Games like meto2033 are decent games, and earned their respect - things like CoD bought their way in with flashy images and marketing :I

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 08:55:06 pm »

Hating FPS is like hating Justin Bieber. Sure it's understandable but other than feeling superior to everyone it's pointless.

Anyway, I would probably play EA's version of Dwarf Fortress, sounds like fun. ( runs for cover )
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 09:15:50 am »

As someone who used to play the original syndicate on the Amiga as a boy I should kill you were you posted for that comment!

Don't forget the procedurally generated quests with loot and none of that pointless plot and setting (I'm looking at you skyrim - specifically those godawful dark brotherhood quests)

Also all armour will come in four pieces; gloves, breastplate, boots and helmet so our designers don't have to bother dealing with overlap issues.

We'll keep the long speeches, but instead of a wall of easily skippable text it's going to be a ten minute speech by whichever vaguely famous berk we can find, and it'll be completely unskippable

In case you can't see what I'm doing here; f*** you Bethesda! Skyrim is a good game, but it feels like you cut every corner possible and threw in as many marketing gimmicks as you thought you could get away with.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 07:29:55 pm »

I've never really bought into FPS-hate (and honestly, I haven't noticed much of it here). Of course, I'm still playing CS:S and DoD:S, and the last 'modern' FPS I played for any serious amount of time was Halo 3, so that probably puts me a bit away from the normal stereotypes.

That said, making fun of Call of Duty is like taking candy from a mentally retarded paraplegic child: easy, not very satisfying, and rather pathetic when you stop to think about it.

On another note, who could violate DF's dignity more, EA or 2K?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7