Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: How do you pronounce 'Urist'?  (Read 13582 times)

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
Re: How do you pronounce 'Urist'?
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2012, 08:37:01 am »

Perhaps the community should do some work on constructing the Dwarven language (Dwarfish?), accent, pronunciation and everything. It's been done before; look at Avatar or Klingon.

Is there an existing thread for this that anyone knows of? If not, I'd like to get that project started somehow. I've started writing some songs in Toadese, but it's a little difficult without words for "to be" etc. Also, it would be one of the things that the community could do to help Toady while he focuses on other stuff. If he agrees and we do this, in-game poetry, songs, long books/slabs in Toadese etc. might not be as far off.

No such thread exists yet. Community project? Community project.

Sweet! :D

I'll mail him and ask if he's willing to let us do it. I see wikis! poems! lyrics! novels! Bwahahaha!

We also might have to get some linguists up in this joint.
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2012, 08:43:23 am »

My view is that I call it Oo-rist, with a germanic lilt to it.

In game, dwarves would say Oo-rist, humans would say You-rist, and elves wouldn't be able to speak due to their lack of vocal cords. Filthy elves.

At least that's the way it works in my mind.

Muddy Mudstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2012, 09:09:37 am »

Actually in Russia "you-rist" means "lawyer", that's why many russian folks think that my nickname in some games means "lawyer" :D. But I pronouce it "oo-rist".

When dwarf law is better implemented, we can have Urist McJurist.

aeonmyst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2012, 10:22:06 am »

This thread caused me to start to read urist as 'ew-rist'. Which is slowly creeping its way to any word I see starting with a 'u'.

Ew-rinate. Ha! I'm a genius. :P

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2012, 11:00:33 am »

When I saw this topic, I thought it was this one.
And then I realized it's almost three years later... I've been playing this game too long.

YOO-rist when it's a female dwarf's name.
OO-rist when it's a male dwarf's name.
ur-IST when it means dagger.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2012, 12:01:35 pm »

dagger

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2012, 04:08:34 am »

No such thread exists yet. Community project? Community project.

Alas, I spoke with the great one and he says that anything we might add would remain fan language (so maybe a massive community project is not such a good idea). However, it doesn't mean we can't do little things. I propose we just put up the words from the language files somewhere for easier reference. Verbs sorted with verbs, nouns sorted with nouns etc.

Sorry for highjacking this thread a little, I'll make a new thread if I can get one other person thinks this is relevant to their interests.
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2012, 08:30:23 am »

In game, dwarves would say Oo-rist, humans would say You-rist, and elves wouldn't be able to speak due to their lack of vocal cords. Filthy elves.

So instead of saying Urist McSomething...

Urist von Magmaschtein.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2012, 09:10:51 am »

I pronounce it same way as "urinate". In fact, I think the name means "he who urinates". But wait... I don't pronounce the name at all, each time I start speaking about DF, people think I am crazy.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2012, 03:45:58 pm »

So instead of saying Urist McSomething...

Urist von Magmaschtein.
Ja, die legende von Ungrashzon ist kleiner masterpiece.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]