Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Open Concept Dump  (Read 2316 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Open Concept Dump
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:42:28 pm »

The Open Concept Dump:

If you're anything like me, ideas for story plots, games, functional objects, characters, fictional settings, and other things are constantly rolling around in your head; so many, in fact, that a lot of them end up gathering dust. We only have so much time to spend making things, and it's hard to know what ideas will appeal to people, both of which can make it hard to get motivated to work on them!

This thread is an open forum for sharing and discussing concepts for all sorts of creative projects and things. Maybe you brainstormed something up, and would like to fish for some feedback on it before you commit more time to it. Maybe you had an idea you later abandoned, but think someone else might find it inspiring. Maybe you just like designing and planning things, but don't know how best to execute them, or even what to do with them! If so, consider using this thread as a sounding board for your ideas, and perhaps people can help make them happen.

Concepts can come in many forms, from text blurbs and short stories, to diagrams and pieces of concept art. Feel free to share any of the above, and more besides. Also, remember that this is the Internet; if you plan on marketing an idea, consider that before you post too much about it here. On the same note, respect the intellectual property of others; feel free to use the ideas here to inspire your own creative endeavors, but don't claim the work of others as your own, or it undermines the spirit of the thing.

Rules and Guidelines:
  • Respect the Forum Rules and Guidelines.
  • This thread is intended to inspire and encourage discussion and collaboration.
  • If your idea is one you'd like to market some day, consider that before posting.
  • This isn't a Talent Recruitment thread for existing projects; consider starting your own thread.
  • If discussion of an idea takes off, consider linking a new discussion thread to reduce clutter.
  • Keep Dwarf Fortress ideas and suggestions in the proper area.
  • Use common sense, keep discussion civil and friendly, and don't be a dick!
** These rules are subject to change over time.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: The Open Concept Dump
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:43:45 pm »

Not to nitpick from the word go, but wouldn't this be better suited to Creative Projects?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 04:20:14 pm »

Not to nitpick from the word go, but wouldn't this be better suited to Creative Projects?
Probably, but sometimes I think CP is where threads like this go to die. :(

I really like the idea of this thread, so I'll share something I've been toying with for about a week. I've been watching the show Ancient Aliens a lot, because it's funny, but it has made me think about what would really happen if a species capable of interstellar travel actually did come to earth as a genetic playground/source for gold/fun times but all the knowledge our ancestors had was still lost to us. What kind of structures would we actually see in such a situation? For example, the Hypercube of Giza, Titaniumhenge, the Neonzca lines.

Along the same lines, I've also been playing around with the idea of this hardboiled yet highly eccentric investigator traveling around the world absolutely determined to disprove that ancient structures were built by aliens and instead by our ancestors own hands. It's filled with elaborate conspiracies by groups such as the International Association of Investment Bankers and the Organic Beekeeping Society.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:22:11 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:29:54 pm »

I wanted to do such a thread in CP for months but never did it because LAAAAZYYYY.

So yeah, I wanted to suggest this exact thread right now :V

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 04:33:01 pm »

Creative Projects is pretty slow, General Discussion would get the thread a lot more activity.  Plus, it's not a creative project, it's a discussion of ideas.

Anyway, I've been thinking about a management/roguelike game, where you run an adventurer's guild.  All the people who join the guild are randomly generated, but once they're in you can level them up, equip them and such, as you see fit (Maybe with some stuff happening by their own choice).  You can assemble groups of them and send them out to adventure.  Obviously there'd be permadeath, and in addition to the adventuring there'd be stuff like guild dues, buying items and space for people.

Maybe the guildmaster would have his own character stats and stuff that modified the way the guild was run.

Also there'd be some kind of renown or fame stat for guilds.  You could get more by putting powerful items and such in the guild museum for people to look at (But if they're in the museum they aren't being used by adventurers, but if they're being used by adventurers they might get lost).  Fame would have various effects, but I think the big one would be increasing the level of adventurers that join the guild, so you don't have to train all your replacements up from level 1.
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:34:50 pm »

Indeed, wrong forum, but a good idea, I could always use this kind of thing (because I'm too lazy to have an actual journal for these kinds of things [which I have in my DA journal but that thing takes too long to load nowadays)].

First one:

"Some say gods occasionally drop some of their belongings in their visitings to our world. That these things are artifacts of great power and have helped shape the world since it's infancy, for better or worse. Others claim that these things are nothing but constructs of a civilization long lost to the passing of time, advanced magic and technology they call it, this proves nothing about the existance of gods they say.

Well bollocks I say, if anything, there is one thing that proves something vastly more powerful than humanity is watching us. It's the skull, you must have heard of it. A great skull, some say of a deer, others say of a bear, a lion even, there has even been talk of it belonging to a dragon. Whatever it is, the druids covet it greatly, and yet, even they do not know where exactly to look for it in the Great Wilderness of the west. Anyways, this skull is said to give the wearer great power over nature, talking with animals, bringing life to where it cannot exist, healing mortal wounds, even causing them trough pestilence and disease. There is a downside to it though, the user slowly descends into madness as his power grows, he comes to hate the human world, becomes more of an animal and less of a man.

This holds truth, but only partially you see. For I saw the thing, and I saw what it does to people, and worst of all I heard the voice it speaks with.

For this is no ordinary divine artifact my child, this skull, it's the god itself, the great beast, the wilderness in the entire world, the hunter and the hunted. He IS the skull, and the skull bears his very essence as he himself said. And when you wear it, you do not gain it's power, you do not go mad from its use. You simply become a conduit for a god, you become his avatar, his physical hand that shapes the world and guards the wilds from the encroaching civilization.

It is both a beautiful and terrible thing to behold, especially if it's someone you hold dear, because you know they can never turn back. That their fate has been sealed and whatever free will there was in them is gone now. To see someone you cherish become nothing more than a tool in a divine hand is something that I would not wish upon my greatest enemy, child, for however majestic it seems it is a fate worse than death."

This is all from a single sketchy drawing of a slightly disproportionate man that has fur covered legs and a big horned skull for a head. I think I should finish the drawing sometime.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 05:19:47 pm »

Anyway, I've been thinking about a management/roguelike game, where you run an adventurer's guild.  All the people who join the guild are randomly generated, but once they're in you can level them up, equip them and such, as you see fit (Maybe with some stuff happening by their own choice).  You can assemble groups of them and send them out to adventure.  Obviously there'd be permadeath, and in addition to the adventuring there'd be stuff like guild dues, buying items and space for people.

Maybe the guildmaster would have his own character stats and stuff that modified the way the guild was run.

Also there'd be some kind of renown or fame stat for guilds.  You could get more by putting powerful items and such in the guild museum for people to look at (But if they're in the museum they aren't being used by adventurers, but if they're being used by adventurers they might get lost).  Fame would have various effects, but I think the big one would be increasing the level of adventurers that join the guild, so you don't have to train all your replacements up from level 1.
I think that would be an awesome game.

How would adventuring be handled, would it be strictly abstracted or would you be able to watch the adventurers and perhaps issue orders (via magic telecommunication device) ala RTS or potentially take control of one of the adventurers? I think just the management would be fun, but actually watching and maybe participating in a limited way would be even more rewarding and involving. It's a bit unsatisfying to think about all these awesome adventures and treasure gained but having little to actually remember them by except for a few lines of text.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 05:59:05 pm »

I remember playing a game that is sorta kinda like your adventurer guild idea. You controlled a university or something where you would train students into adventurers.

i think this is it

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 06:34:28 pm »

I think that would be an awesome game.

How would adventuring be handled, would it be strictly abstracted or would you be able to watch the adventurers and perhaps issue orders (via magic telecommunication device) ala RTS or potentially take control of one of the adventurers? I think just the management would be fun, but actually watching and maybe participating in a limited way would be even more rewarding and involving. It's a bit unsatisfying to think about all these awesome adventures and treasure gained but having little to actually remember them by except for a few lines of text.

I was thinking actually playing it by hand.  You control the group of adventurers with a roguelike-ified Pausable Real-time System. Whenever you give someone a command or pause the game, the game plays out until the command is complete or you pause it again.

That, of course, would make it even more undoably ambitious than it is now.
Shoes...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »

Creative Projects is pretty slow, General Discussion would get the thread a lot more activity.  Plus, it's not a creative project, it's a discussion of ideas.

Exactly my thinking... I wanted the focus to be discussion and inspiration, rather than organizing and showcasing projects.

Squidi.net's 300 Game Mechanics has a few concepts you could adapt for this:
#70: Tiny World Cities
#113: It Takes a Village

Both are fantasy RPG-type things, which take an empire/city-builder focus instead of focusing on individual characters. You build houses and guilds and such, customize and improve them, and it attracts NPC villagers to them. Something similar, with the focus on a single Adventurer's Guild, with NPCs being designated as the staff and students of a Guild, could be really neat. I like the semi hands-off approach to character creation and outfitting, and the meta-strategy level... though a Reccetear-like dungeon crawl experience, led by a party of hand-picked adventurers from your guild, could be a nice touch to help round out gameplay.

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 09:18:44 pm »

This is neat. I like reading the ideas for games and things.
I've been re-reading The Dresden Files recently, and I feel like I want to see a high production film or game based on the series.
Or maybe just based in that book's world. I want the magic and creatures to look cool. I want to play as Dresden or Murphy.
I want magic to be freeform, or based on character personality.

Oh well. It'd be really cool if that happened.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:57:01 pm »

Squidi.net's 300 Game Mechanics has a few concepts you could adapt for this:
#70: Tiny World Cities
#113: It Takes a Village

That is a neat site.  I'll have to read that a bit more later.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 12:03:47 am »

Sort of like Guild then? But with more features, I guess.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 12:22:45 am »

The idea kind of came from Guild and Etrian Odyssey, so yeah, kind of like guild.
Shoes...

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 12:57:53 am »

Squidi.net
Too...many...ideas.....brain.....melting
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!