Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21

Author Topic: Hero Caddies RtD! [Book I, Chapter I]  (Read 59124 times)

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hero Caddies RtD! [Prologue]
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 07:16:35 am »

Actually 8 people were already pre-in from the Roller's Block thread. Kinda hard to beat that.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 02:39:46 pm »

Well hello there thread! I was going to kibitz, but realized that would reveal my super secret identity.

I do like this "who gets to play" system. I think next time I do an RTD (assuming I ever finish anything) I'll do something similar, perhaps with a more tiered format to accommodate more potential players. Maybe something like everyone starts with 3/3 HP, and when a certain number of people are down everybody gains 2/2 (giving uninjured survivors 5/5,) with additional steps as needed/desired along the way. First losers are bottom of the waitlist, finalists are at the top. That way, you get everyone in at least one round without having a massive amount of actions past that first turn or two.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 06:54:28 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Prologue: Turn 2

Odysseus seems surprised at the ferocity of the assault! He makes a motion with his hand, and the adventurers back out of the bar.

The fight continues, alcohol rushing across the floor and tables being overturned. Teal, confident that the others have forgotten him, slides out from under the table and grabs a chair. He then runs up behind Brown, screaming, and (ATT) (DEF) whacks him over the head with it! The chair explodes into several pieces on contact, staggering Brown! He falls to the ground, his head smacking the bar counter noisily. He's bleeding heavily from the head!

Red's up next, and he opens with a powerful neck chop (ATT) (DEF) that completely misses Purple! He makes note to retaliate, but first stoops to slurp some ale from the floor. Then, without warning, he charges at Red! (ATT) (DEF) Purple's pathetic attack is matched by Red's pathetic defense, and they end up flailing around and accomplishing nothing. Meanwhile, Brown grabs another bottle off the floor and smashes it on the counter! He gets up and begins swinging the bottles in a berserker rage! (ATT) (DEF) Teal is caught unaware, and one of the bottles carves a deep gash in his chest while the other scrapes across his face! He slams into a table and tumbles backward, blood pouring from his wounds!

Yellow, seeing the torrent of booze, reaches for one of the torches on the wall! (...) He grabs the torch off the wall, but manages to put it out before he can do anything with it. With his face. He falls to the floor, clutching his burnt skin! Blue, wary of the kung-fu fight going on behind him, attempts to lift his table in front of himself to use it as a shield. (...) Instead it simply flips upside down, and he lands on it face-first!

Maroon turns to Orange, and raises his fist.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He then turns to Brown and passes on the chain of thumbs up, a universal sign that roughly means "Hey, help me kill these guys." Finally, he turns back to Orange and motions for him to step back. Maroon pulls out a large, ornate black key and approaches the cellar door. The key fits into the lock with a resounding click, and dust billows out as the door creaks open. Maroon smiles. "Release the DONGREL!" (...) All at once, the door is blown off its hinges and a hulking mass flies from the cellar stairwell into the bar! A huge, muscular reptilian creature lands in the middle of the room, screeching and swiping at the air! Its great, shining claws extend, and its eyes hunger for blood! Only now does Maroon remember that he seldom feeds the Dongrel, and it is just as likely to kill him as anyone else.

Fed up with Blue's mug-throwing, Green grabs another mug and tosses it at him! (ATT) (DEF) The mug bounces painfully off Blue's head, leaving a large bruise. Finally, Grey decides to kill Yellow and burn the place down in one fell swoop, and grabs another torch off the wall! (ATT) (DEF) He shoves the torch in Yellow's face, further burning it! Yellow shrieks in pain and swats the torch away, causing it to roll across the floor and ignite the booze! A ring of fire begins to spread slowly across the floor!

The Dongrel's eyes burn with anger, and it launches itself at (...) Yellow! (ATT) (DEF) The Dongrel's claws are set to eviscerate, but Yellow is prepared! He leaps to the side and performs an aerial dodge maneuver to remove himself from the Dongrel's trajectory, but the fury of the Dongrel is too much! Its claws still manage to graze his torso and he lands on the counter, bleeding and still clutching his burning face! The Dongrel attaches itself to the corner of the tavern wall, ready to seek its next victim!

~Status~
Red: 5/5
Green: 5/5
Blue: 4/5
Orange: 5/5
Yellow: 2/5
Purple: 4/5
Teal: 2/5
Brown: 2/5
Maroon: 4/5
Grey: 5/5
DONGREL: 10/10
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 11:22:32 pm »

...Did Orange do anything?

Personal guess- Yellow is Toaster, as only he could have luck that poor.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 11:46:56 pm »

...Did Orange do anything?
His action was to defend, and the action moved away from the bar counter for the most part. I should have mentioned that that's what he was doing.

Also, Maroon requested some teamwork between him and the others. This is an interesting problem, since the players can't communicate without revealing themselves. Something to think about for anyone else who wants to do a system like this. I'll resolve it all in the most logical ridiculous way I can.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 11:58:42 pm »

That seems simple to me. Just PM the players closest to him and say (COLOR) wants to team up, accept y/n? ^^^
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 12:03:49 am »

That seems simple to me. Just PM the players closest to him and say (COLOR) wants to team up, accept y/n? ^^^
Yeah, but sometimes the player in question has already posted and left. The point was to keep things moving swiftly, since this is a pre-game thing. I think one of the people I'd have to PM is offline right now.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 12:04:53 am »

Ah, I see... That does present a problem...
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 12:09:30 am »

I like the idea of teamwork being implicit in their actions- a kind of nonaggression pact based on mutual distrust of everyone else, and that only half the players must be eliminated.

Personal guess- Yellow is Toaster, as only he could have luck that poor.

I love you too.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 04:13:10 am »

This is a very intriguing start.

The colors are very interesting.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 06:46:46 pm »

Prologue: Turn 3

Grey, startled by the sudden Dongrel attack, nevertheless springs into action and leaps up to the Dongrel in an attempt to pull it off the wall and tame it! (...) He manages to wrestle the Dongrel off the wall, but it is sent into a berserk rage and bucks him off! Brown accepts friendship with an enthusiastic thumbs up, and swings his bottle at Teal! (ATT) (DEF) Teal is sliced in the neck, losing even more blood! Red, meanwhile, (...) runs out of the bar and finds himself a huge, pointy rock!

Green, possessed of a fiery Latin passion, pounces on the Dongrel! (...) He traps the Dongrel in a powerful headlock, using pain to drive it into submission! He whispers a command into the Dongrel's ear: "KIIIIIIIILL." The Dongrel begins foaming at the mouth and attacks (...) Maroon! It flies across the room, Green in tow! (ATT) (DEF) Maroon is ready for the attack, and raises his cudgel! (ATT) (DEF) Maroon's swing is firm, but the Dongrel dodges the attack and clings to the wall behind the bar!

Teal is in a mighty struggle with Brown, holding back the sharp bottle from his throat! At last he momentarily gains the upper hand, and tries to shove the bottle back toward Brown! (ATT) (DEF) Brown easily dodges the attack and grabs the bottle, going in for the kill! (ATT) (DEF) Teal also dodges the counter attack and grabs the bottle for himself! (ATT) (DEF) He makes a mighty swing at Brown, but misses again!

Blue, understandably fearing for his life, runs toward the tavern exit! (...) He runs outside, grabs a sturdy plank of wood, and bars the door shut! Screams and licks of flame emanate from the tavern. Purple, in an attempt to get out of the tavern and exact revenge on Red, decides to commandeer the Dongrel! (...) He leaps up to the Dongrel, shoving Green off its back and taking control! The Dongrel bounds across the bar and jumps through the window, landing outside in a shower of glass! Blue and Red are within sight and attack range.

Maroon, after giving his comrades their orders, hefts his cudgel skyward and brings it down on the mad arsonist Yellow! (ATT) (DEF) Yellow rolls out from under the cudgel strike and counterattacks with a left hook! (ATT) (DEF) The attack hits Maroon square in the jaw, nearly knocking him out! Yellow gets up from the counter, grabs a torch, slurps some booze from the barrels, and prepares to escape the bar with his new improvised flamethrower! (...) Just then, however, he feels a tickling in his nose. A sneeze erupts from his nose, causing him to forcibly eject the booze from his mouth and into the torch in his hand! The result is a small explosion, burning Yellow's face once again and sending him tumbling backward! He slumps against the counter, barely conscious.

Orange, in the midst of the chaos, takes the cellar key from Maroon and (...) tumbles his way down into the cellar. The room is pitch black, and as Orange sits up and examines what little there is to see... he hears a low, growling noise. A pair of red eyes shine in the darkness.

The Dongrel, weary of its master, attempts to buck Purple off its back! (...) Purple is tossed from the Dongrel's back, and lands in the middle of the cobblestone street nearby! Meanwhile, the fire continues to spread across the floor of the tavern and up the walls! The combatants back away from the flames, but the fire may soon be in danger of reaching the booze barrels themselves!

~Status~
Red: 5/5
Green: 5/5
Blue: 4/5
Orange: 4/5
Yellow: 1/5
Purple: 4/5
Teal: 1/5
Brown: 2/5
Maroon: 1/5
Grey: 5/5
DONGREL: 7/10
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 08:16:51 pm »

We're going to level this town, aren't we? :P

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 08:17:55 pm »

Nono, just the inn. Not that it was going to last another week anyway :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 08:18:55 pm »

So we're leveling both the inn AND the tavern now?

Wow, preemptive destructive measures are fast these days.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 08:31:54 pm »

I have a problem with my taverns exploding.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21