Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Hero Caddies RtD! [Book I, Chapter I]  (Read 59128 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hero Caddies RtD! [Prologue]
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2012, 05:52:50 pm »

Go ask Gat that on IRC :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2012, 06:32:42 pm »

Nah, I'm replaying Fallout: New Vegas and can't be assed to keep up with IRC right now.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2012, 06:36:16 pm »

Aw.

Also, I think blue MIGHT be insane hugging the Dongrel, though it must be working :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2012, 06:54:13 pm »

I trust someone else is going to really make something good out of this secret character identity thing. It's worked better than I could have hoped so far. :P

I plan on this kind of meta-ness and audience participation being a big part of the RtD. To that end, what kind of things would you like to see in it? Audience-controlled characters, suggestion game style? Villain actions secretly controlled by waitlisters? I have ideas, but I'd like to hear from you guys.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2012, 08:05:41 pm »

Aw balls. I was really hoping I would get to resolve my action- I was gonna slather Purple in barbeque sauce to make the Dongrel eat him. Knew I was a dead man walking after that last turn, though. Interested to see who my erstwhile allies were.

Personally, I like the waitlister controlled villains idea myself, either from a general suggestion thing or pick a waitlister out of a hat and let them go crazy. Secretly of course. It would be super cool if whatever method you go with makes sense in-world, like maybe the enemies are Summoners and the intelligence behind the summonee is a random waitlister. That way, you could have powerful beings with severe restrictions on what they can and can't do who by definition have little impact on the plot, since even if they win they get sent back from whence they came.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2012, 08:23:03 pm »

I trust someone else is going to really make something good out of this secret character identity thing. It's worked better than I could have hoped so far. :P
I don't think anything I have planned could benefit from it, but it is most definitely going in the Awesome Pile.

I plan on this kind of meta-ness and audience participation being a big part of the RtD. To that end, what kind of things would you like to see in it? Audience-controlled characters, suggestion game style? Villain actions secretly controlled by waitlisters? I have ideas, but I'd like to hear from you guys.
I'd rather avoid suggestion-style stuff, since I'd prefer characters to be a bit more consistent. Villain waitlisters definitely sounds good, though you might have to worry about people becoming more fond of nudging the villains than actually playing as a caddie.

Beyond that, composite audience participation (as opposed to suggestion style, where you just pick the best/most popular one) could be nice. Maybe anyone who wants to PMs you a quest, concern, goal, etc, and then when the heroes arrive in a given town, those become the citizens' requests and concerns. Unfavorable or nonsensical requests could still be ignored (every town has its drunks/fools/cultists the time has not yet come to unmask and foil, after all), but in general the heroes' (optional, at least) tasks would probably be suitably varied, bizarre, and unpredictable.

Same concept could also apply to groups of villagers/villains, in that anyone who wants to propose an NPC can (or more devious yet, propose a trait/feature, like "wearing leather armor," "are gnolls," or "sneaky cowards"). Obviously the first would work better with preset conditions (mundane human bandits, normal-ish villagers, unfriendly cultists) or bizarre circumstances, and the second has a lot of contradiction potential (unless you want gnoll gnome human half-dragon dragon werewolf bandit knight wizard wizard cultists wearing hemp robes showing up a lot).

That way, you could have powerful beings with severe restrictions on what they can and can't do who by definition have little impact on the plot, since even if they win they get sent back from whence they came.
Ooh, this is nice. Trouble is, logically the summons would be going after the heroes directly and collateraling the hell of of players in the process, not explicitly going after players.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2012, 08:28:17 pm »

That's merely a question of scale- clearly the Bad Guys have caddies of their own. So while the Heroes and the Villain of the Week are duking it out, the Villainous Minion is summoning angry badgers and gremlins to screw with the Caddies. That also opens up some extra objectives instead of pure combat, since obviously the Gremlin isn't trying to kill the Caddies, he's just trying to mess up the camp and ruin dinner, which turns into this big whole dramatic affair.

As I see it, the job of the Caddies is to make sure the Heroes get to their encounters in good order, and the job of the Minion is to inconvenience the Hero any way they can while dodging the Caddies. It'd be neat if the success/failure of the Caddies has a noticeable impact on the performance of the Heroes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 08:30:51 pm »

Ooh, I like that. Villainous imps trying to add too much salt to dinner hadn't really occurred to me.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2012, 09:07:06 pm »

On the matter of actions controlled by waitlisters, I had a concept for my most recent RTD. Unfortunately, I had to drop it (maybe temporarily) as even the beginning of the RTD was not assured, because of the lack of willing players (wink wink nudge nudge). Well, with time comes bounty, I hope I develop into a GM people can trust (enough to jump into said GM's RTDs).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:10:07 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2012, 09:14:07 pm »

@Caellath: I think the problem there is that, for example, I thought about joining that RTD, but I figured it was already full, so there was no point in sending a PM. >.>
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2012, 09:17:11 pm »

But I wrote a something like...uh...I'll see what it was.
Ah, ok, here, this:
"The first six to PM me an action get the spots. They shall be answered with a message stating their letter. The letter between A and F will be chosen by dice roll. After these six, I may need some more, so do not get too worried about being left out. Part of the remaining shall be employed for other things."
Sorry if I was not clear enough. I actually needed more than six, even if they were not to be in the "main cast".
Also sorry about kind of barging into this thread to spew non-Hero Caddies-related stuff.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:18:55 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2012, 09:19:28 pm »

I haven't checked the thread since sometime yesterday evening. ^^^; I rarely actually look at the RTD forum itself anymore, I just use 'show new replies' all the time...

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2012, 09:59:12 pm »

Huh, I was wrong. Great  :-\

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2012, 10:02:02 pm »

Huh, I was wrong. Great  :-\
Not only that, because there's 1:1 matching, each wrong guess is both wrong and means you were wrong one other place. You can still make 6/10 though! :P

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2012, 10:14:26 pm »

Well, anyone else want to place their bets on who's who?:P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21