Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 651243 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2012, 12:10:58 pm »

Yeah, Its kinda ridiculous.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2012, 12:12:04 pm »

Pledging even the minimum to a project will automatically subscribe you to a mailing list of updates that get posted on the kickstarter page. That's all it means.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #227 on: March 21, 2012, 12:13:41 pm »

I aught to start a kickstarter project for my chess variant. It's on hexes, for three players.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 21, 2012, 12:15:00 pm »

I'm curious why so many entries offer "updates" as one of the rewards.  Isn't sending you "updates" on the status of the product just putting you on their mailing list?
For some, it's a way of padding things out, but for a lot of people, it might be that they haven't funded a kickstarter project, and it helps clarify things for them up front instead of having to find out that you get access to updates somewhere else. And it's a great way to offer exclusive content, and let people know that yes, we have exclusive content that we're going to put up on our kickstater updates page.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 21, 2012, 12:15:02 pm »

-snip-
This bothers me to no end: Please, please, please change "wet your appetite" to "whet your appetite". BLARGLGLELRRL.

Unfortunately, we cannot.  Once someone pledges at a given level, the text and buy-in price is locked from editing.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 21, 2012, 12:15:35 pm »

Pledging even the minimum to a project will automatically subscribe you to a mailing list of updates that get posted on the kickstarter page. That's all it means.
Obviously, the best marketing strategy is to offer the update, guaranteed.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 21, 2012, 12:18:16 pm »

I'll be using Kickstarter myself, to hire an artist when I get my tabletop game done. (Hopefully, I can hire DeferoMortis or DarkerDark. Wow, those guys can art something serious.)

-snip-
This bothers me to no end: Please, please, please change "wet your appetite" to "whet your appetite". BLARGLGLELRRL.

Unfortunately, we cannot.  Once someone pledges at a given level, the text and buy-in price is locked from editing.
Good to know. Ah, well.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 21, 2012, 12:19:41 pm »

Obviously, the best marketing strategy is to offer the update, guaranteed.
It's just the mechanics of the way kickstarter works. Joining a project (by pledging), gets you subscribed to updates posted on the kickstarter page. If you have an indy game with a blog and web presence already then it sort of makes sense that you'd have an external mailing list, but many projects seem too small to bother with that.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 21, 2012, 12:23:26 pm »

Still seems like an indicator of the project owner's capabilities.

It's like someone selling you a car and saying "Nuts and bolts included, no extra charge!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #234 on: March 21, 2012, 06:37:44 pm »

One problem many video game kickstarters (and presumably other digital product kickstarters as well) is that the game itself is the lowest (or second lowest in some cases like the Banner Saga) and to get more you have to pledge more than double the amount of the game alone, for something else few will value as much as the game itself. All the projects I've backed (DFA, Banner Saga, FTL, Wasteland 2) have all done this, and left me unable to justify anything but the game only pledge (well alright the Banner Saga includes a wallpaper too and is only for chapter one, lowest pledge with some game then). Physical rewards have tempted me, but being outside the US the extra cost for shipping has left them a little more than I'd like be prepared to pay. Of course they've all been successful, so maybe it's not much of an issue.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 21, 2012, 06:46:36 pm »

True sometimes the lowest pledges have felt like "Hmmm, so basically I am paying for you to make a game that I will likely have to buy later with money... Why?"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2012, 07:04:55 pm »

There is a definitely a line at which I feel like Kickstarter only appeals to people with a lot of disposal income, or an unhealthy addiction to the project.

I'd be more than willing to give money to an interesting project I knew needed it, knowing I'd have to buy the game later. That's totally different than dev houses that are already halfway to their goal at the end of day 1 (or sooner.)
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2012, 07:23:34 pm »

In a 'normal' gamer's perspective, it could be thought of as a pre-order.  Buying the game now, is probably cheaper then when it starts selling.  Extra items are like Collector Edition stuff... which you pay more for.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2012, 07:51:45 pm »

A funnel! And all they need for this ingenious new idea is $5000!

Have to agree with that podcast. It gives everyone who deserves to fail the chance to. :)

$5000 sounds to me like the bare minimum amount of starting capital to me.  My guesstimate that they are contracting out every aspect of the manufacturing to a third party but the third party isn't going to agree to start production without that level of commitment.  If they tried to do it any other way the price would be much, much higher.  That's my guess anyway, I don't really have a clear view of the product so I don't know how they're making it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 21, 2012, 08:14:40 pm »

In a 'normal' gamer's perspective, it could be thought of as a pre-order.  Buying the game now, is probably cheaper then when it starts selling.  Extra items are like Collector Edition stuff... which you pay more for.

I don't think 'normal gamers' are financially capable or willing to blow $250+ for Collector edition stuff. And considering the often limited nature of reward slots...it's not really a pre-order either, and it's totally subject to the price point they choose to set. If they offer the game as a reward at $50, then only charge $25 for it at release.....then "pre-ordering" on a game likely to meet its goal was a dumb idea. Especially if, once they get their funding, they go the normal game route of offering a Collector's Edition for the general public, DLC, ect...I don't think your average gamer craves swag that bad.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 213