Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 650255 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #285 on: March 24, 2012, 09:00:29 pm »

As insane as this is, it's not without precedent.  At least one of you has to remember A Gang of Daggers.  They're of the same breed, in the same way that a lemur and King Kong are of the same breed.

What the hell did I just read.

I

It's like All The King's Men meets The Hobbit meets Ikea Instructions: How to Build a Chair.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 24, 2012, 10:15:56 pm »

Re: Original: Kickstarter should make a wealth limit on these things. And consider the realistic expectations. Either he does need help with it, in which case a million won't cut it, or he won't, in which case it is kinda pointless.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I suppose the OotS one didn't count as a miracle, considering the fanbase, but Rich Burlew's recently established Twitter is doing a "Kickstarter of the Week" that denotes a project that he considers worth funding.

The other one I've supported is for commissioning illustrations for the incredibly awesome and cool Legend RPG.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 25, 2012, 11:54:16 am »

Quote from: Bartlett
If you want in on the beta you better get to donating. Even if this doesn't get funded now and I do find investors to do this only those who donated $10 or more will get beta testing. So all you $1 people who did it just to comment sorry! Some of the better comments may still get in, but the negative ones will not.
This guy is willing to pay millions just be bad dungeon master. He doesn't stop saying hilarious things.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 25, 2012, 12:16:27 pm »

I couldn't help myself.  I had to back the project for $1 just to give him some free advice, even though I know he won't listen to it.

Essentially, make a smaller game before you attempt an MMO.  Walk, then run.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 25, 2012, 12:22:30 pm »

That's some generosity right there.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 25, 2012, 01:22:55 pm »

Wish I could get $20,000 for a bullshit project I'd never finish.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 25, 2012, 01:49:25 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 25, 2012, 01:51:53 pm »

Wish I could get $200,000 for a bullshit project I'd never finish.

I am more ambitious than you guys.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 25, 2012, 03:54:17 pm »

Wish I could get $200,000 for a bullshit project I'd never finish.

I am more ambitious than you guys.

Me too. :D
I'm getting $30,000 for a project I already finished!

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:15 pm »

I'd say that in this case knowing IGF judges is far more lucrative.  Not only did Phil Fish manage to scam the IGF out of $30,000, but he followed it up by declaring that Japanese games "just suck" and twittering that "gamers are the worst fucking people".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 25, 2012, 06:47:53 pm »

Every time I see this thread, I immediately think "No, it's When Kickstarter goes RIGHT!"

Because even if the man is a delusional fool, it's this sort of stuff that makes the world a little more entertaining.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 28, 2012, 02:23:42 pm »

Every time I see this thread, I immediately think "No, it's When Kickstarter goes RIGHT!"
Kickstarter did it again with the award-winning kickstarter of an unrelased "JRPG"* game called Class of Heroes 2.

*Said JRPG is a clone of a Western RPG (Wizardy).
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 28, 2012, 04:47:16 pm »

Oh man there was another update. Become a bard! Become a rock star!
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #298 on: March 28, 2012, 04:52:58 pm »

Oh man there was another update. Become a bard! Become a rock star!
If they put in the Disciple of Metal as a class I am so going to play this game.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #299 on: March 28, 2012, 06:27:52 pm »

Lately I've seen a ton of Kickstarter projects with absolutely ludicrous funding goals.

I think this is caused by some of the larger, more successful Kickstarter projects (Wasteland 2, Double Fine). People without a lot of common sense see those and think 'hey, I can do that, too' - without grasping the simple fact that the reason those projects were successful is because of the amount of recognition those companies already had.

I don't know what the hell has to be going through some of these peoples' heads for them to ask for six figures for projects that can be completed by a single person. I mean, if you create the product first and it generates enough popularity to GET you six figures simply because of how cool it is, that's one thing. But to ask for $500 large right from the get-go just because... you need to be slapped upside the head with something large and unpleasant.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 213