Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 651652 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 12:08:03 pm »

Having a reputation like Wasteland or Double Fine.... will go much farther then any idea or initial backing of monies... plus, the guy is being ambitious with nothing to show for it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 12:10:24 pm »

I like how the rewards are presented and what they promise.

He really expects to have big enough worlds to fit all those extra towns in doesn't he?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 12:12:37 pm »

Imagine if everyone followed the dude who pledged 10k as a joke, and it really happened, the amount was met.

Bankruptcy.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 12:14:55 pm »

But guys I think we're all forgetting the most important feature here. Guild Banks. Guild. Banks. Guiiillld baaaankks.
Blargh.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 12:46:35 pm »

Let's not forget the Vedors and Venors! Essential parts of game design!

Space and Beyond: As your world (server) you will gain access to space travel. You will be able to travel from one world (server) to another. You will be able to buy or create your own space ship and go on space battles against the horde of creatures that have also leveled to the point of space travel. This is where the world will have to work together. There will be quests and puzzles that will need to be complete and materials gathered and turned in to the world council. Once your world reaches certain levels you will gain space travel and be allowed to participate in multi world quests and PVP events.

Good lord this man has lost his mind.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:49:36 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 12:47:25 pm »

Venor & Vedor: Tales of the Guild Bank.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:25:19 pm by justinlee999 »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 01:31:33 pm »

Maybe guild banks are from some other MMO he played that didn't have it?  I know that Rift didn't have them for a time...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 01:42:20 pm »

New rule: if anyone on this forum wins 33 million dollars, they are obliged to give Toady $10k.  In return they will get their own guild bank which no one else is allowed to have.
Honestly, if I ever won the lottery Toady would receive a regular salary from me so he isn't reliant on donations and would have less to worry about financially.

Also I would open a games studio and pound out 30-40 crappy ipad games a month just to swamp the apple app with (more) crap so that apple fails. [/notbitteratall]

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 01:53:24 pm »

I get the feeling he had part of an idea or heard someone else talking about one, and didn't really understand what to do with it.

For instance, he mentions multiple times that levels won't be needed to get mounts, vehicles, etc... It's like he was frustrated by the artificial confines of levels, but rather than making something distinct, perhaps by simply doing away with levels entirely and finding some new way to reward progression, he takes away the annoying (but essential) parts, like someone tired of filling a gas tank and thus simply removing it from the car.

Moreover, he seems to wish to create a new WoW, assuming with a cargo-cult type thought process that all he needs to do is have things called "raids" and "guilds" in the game, and the players will be there. Besides the few absurd departures he mentions, (such as "space travel" between servers, complete with space battles, showing a total lack of understanding of the basic purpose of separate servers,) his "feature list" reads as nothing more or less than a list of minor ways his game will differ from other MMOs- the one that stands out most clearly to me being that one will be able to use mounts at level 1.

This man is making a new MMO from scratch, in part because he wants to lower the requirements for mounts.

This man does not need to start his own kickstarter project. Instead, he needs to donate to kickstarter projects. He wants to see new games, but he just doesn't have any new ideas.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 01:58:17 pm »

Only being able to frame your game in terms of what other games are doing is usually never a good sign.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 02:21:44 pm »

Imagine if everyone followed the dude who pledged 10k as a joke, and it really happened, the amount was met.

Bankruptcy.

Imagine if he just decides, being a millionaire already, to donate the difference to himself on the last day. Jesus wept.

So, I just started reading a bit of the description in the middle.
So a dragon is going to fly a bit faster than a winged horse will. A race car mount will move faster than a horse mount.
:|

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 02:49:51 pm »

Did he not notice that theres at least 5 identical 10k donation tiers, and that no one is going to actually go for the ones that have less prizes?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 02:53:04 pm »

This is possibly the worst thought-out project I have ever seen.

This guy should hire me just to sort out this mess and make it reasonable. At least I would proofread his project and make it sound somewhat professional... that is 35% of my current job, technical and professional writing.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2012, 02:53:32 pm »

Did he not notice that theres at least 5 identical 10k donation tiers, and that no one is going to actually go for the ones that have less prizes?

Sssshhhhh, that's a _feature_!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2012, 02:53:50 pm »

I want a race car mount with wings and a dragon head. What? You said we could mix and match body parts.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 213