Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 485484 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #495 on: April 16, 2012, 10:15:28 pm »

I was actually thinking that maybe a young kid did that, and I was going to say, hey guys, you're being a bit harsh, it's horrible, but the art's pretty good for a middle school kid or something.

Then I noticed that the guy's Kickstarter blurb says he's a senior in college, and just... ow.

ETA:
I have a friend I've kind of lost contact with that I bet would think this is hilarious. He's a good guy, but he went to college for graphic design and it was one of those cases where he really, REALLY needed somebody to tell him that he's not cut out for it. Aside from being immature and unoriginal, his art was just... it never really progressed beyond the kind of stuff you'd imagine a semi-talented middle or high-schooler making. Which is sad, because he was really nice - he just never got the dose of reality he needed. But, he works for Apple now, and apparently loves it (heh), so I suppose it ended up okay.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:19:15 pm by Lord Dullard »

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 16, 2012, 11:08:54 pm »

You guys have to check out these videos. I almost died laughing.

http://youtu.be/LvotcxDm-0c
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 16, 2012, 11:43:02 pm »

It's a copyright infringement tsunami!!!
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #498 on: April 17, 2012, 12:00:00 am »

I kind of want to subtract money from that. Actually I'd pay to take the same amount of money away.
Space 'Murrica! United States of Space! (Stellaris Democratic Succession)

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 17, 2012, 03:06:43 am »

It has to be a joke.
Hello Hunam

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 17, 2012, 05:49:35 am »

mmmm, youtube channel says its serious, to me anyway
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 17, 2012, 12:12:39 pm »

I keep hearing that Kickstarter only green lights projects that they think are worth the artistic endeavor, then I see this. This is out and out copyright infringement, and no, it isn't a parody, as it seems to be played awfully seriously that I doubt a lawyer would be able to defend it. The quickest way to make this guy lose money, is to fund this project, I'd imagine.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • WHERE'S YOUR MOTIVATION!!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 17, 2012, 01:45:08 pm »

I keep hearing that Kickstarter only green lights projects that they think are worth the artistic endeavor, then I see this.

And the half a dozen other projects we've seen in this thread.

I doubt KS seriously has any oversight. Things get put up and they respond to reports. But there seems to be zero, absolutely zero quality control in the application process. And honestly that's the way it should be, I think. Otherwise Kickstarter finds itself in the position of publisher, where they get to, or must, decide on each project's profitability, artistic merit and legal standing. That's what publishers already do, and it would fly in the face of what KS is ultimately about.
If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the Gods, and the nights will flame with fire.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 17, 2012, 01:50:05 pm »

I keep hearing that Kickstarter only green lights projects that they think are worth the artistic endeavor, then I see this.

And the half a dozen other projects we've seen in this thread.

I doubt KS seriously has any oversight. Things get put up and they respond to reports. But there seems to be zero, absolutely zero quality control in the application process.

They make sure it's not a violation of their rules, eg. being a fundraiser, offering non-project rewards, etc.  But even so, sometimes those slip through the cracks.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 18, 2012, 12:36:39 pm »

This looks really, really cool. If they do it right, I will love them forever.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 19, 2012, 11:23:01 am »

the art seems a bit generic and uninteresting

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 19, 2012, 11:28:37 am »

Yeah, but I like the whole community supported gaming idea. That's mostly what I was talking about. Not necessarily the first game.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 19, 2012, 03:11:22 pm »

Update: Your World "creator" Elwood Bartlett's project has gone no further in funding and is 13 days from kickstarter closure. Bartlett remains smugly confident to this very hour, "lol"-ing at criticism and agreeing with everyone who supports him, which is only trolls at this point.
Arms Race Forum Game!  Design weapons and defeat the Spacebattles forum!
The Bay 12 Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 19, 2012, 03:32:49 pm »

Update: Your World "creator" Elwood Bartlett's project has gone no further in funding and is 13 days from kickstarter closure. Bartlett remains smugly confident to this very hour, "lol"-ing at criticism and agreeing with everyone who supports him, which is only trolls at this point.

yourgameistoobig Nice. I just put my info in there. Says $5,040,000.00 to build. Lets see our budget is about that. It says: it would take an entry-level game developer 100.8 years to create this game. We won't factor in that we will be using experienced game developers. So lets see divide 100.8 years by 75 programmers/artists/etc (also detailed in our budget) and you get 1.34 years so that is 15 months. We are giving ourselves 18 months until launch. Ok that works. Thanks for the link!

HAhahahahaha~!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 19, 2012, 03:43:28 pm »

*facepalm*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 213