Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 649405 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #555 on: April 20, 2012, 02:04:37 pm »

New sig from this thread.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 20, 2012, 05:16:56 pm »

One wonders what an adult could have accomplished with those millions.

Of course, someone more impoverished than myself might levy the same criticism against me.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #557 on: April 20, 2012, 06:15:11 pm »

One wonders what an adult could have accomplished with those millions.
Personally, if my dream was to make 'Teh Awesome MMORPG' I'd have started small and founded a studio, put out a few games to get an income base while working on it in the background. You know, apply a sound business strategy...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #558 on: April 20, 2012, 06:38:08 pm »

Also hire an actual team that does everything for you! D:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #559 on: April 20, 2012, 06:42:02 pm »

Really... Even *I* can tell the problems with that, and I have like 0 actual game design experience other than a textbook called the Methodology of Game Storyboarding. >.>

Also, personally I despise grinding games.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #560 on: April 20, 2012, 07:07:35 pm »

I despise ADDICTIVE grinding games.

'this grinding is shit. but... I'm nearly at the next level...'

THAT.

The game I like the most was Mabinogi before G13, and second is Dungeon and Fighters Online because its addicting PvP that was actually well balanced and depended on your control, mostly.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 20, 2012, 07:10:37 pm »

I despise ADDICTIVE grinding games.

'this grinding is shit. but... I'm nearly at the next level...'

THAT.

The game I like the most was Mabinogi before G13, and second is Dungeon and Fighters Online because its addicting PvP that was actually well balanced and depended on your control, mostly.

Disgaea 1 consumed my life for far longer than it should have. Getting the full compliment of level 100 Legendary Highest Tier weapons was only an exercise in patience, especially when there was not a single challenge in the game that necessitated it.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 20, 2012, 07:18:03 pm »

especially when there was not a single challenge in the game that necessitated it.
Quitting?

On an unrelated note: What was that MMO that had it's servers crashed by the dev. team because the players were about to 'finish' the game?

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #563 on: April 20, 2012, 08:10:26 pm »

To think, less than 150 years ago you would have had to pay a shilling to gawk at the mentally ill.
You just got sigged WayWard!

Also as someone learning to program I must say that no matter how much money he had this game is not in anyway programmable. There are very few things you can say where words like never and always can apply but in this case I can with no hesitation say that as of today with the tech we have the game would never be possible even if you dumped millions of work hours into it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #564 on: April 20, 2012, 08:11:54 pm »

Actually, with enough money anything is possible. No tech? MAKE IT

Really. With the right people, you could probably do much more than you would think.

Whether or not it would be feasible is a whole 'nuther question.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #565 on: April 20, 2012, 08:15:40 pm »

That is why I said "as of today with the tech we have" as even something like this may end up workable if you pour enough money into and into developing tech for it.

Also your avatar looks like something I remember seeing at some point, mind telling me where it is from? I just can't remember anything beyond knowing it looks familiar.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #566 on: April 20, 2012, 08:22:18 pm »

Keychain of Creation, an Exalted webcomic.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 20, 2012, 08:24:19 pm »

On an unrelated note: What was that MMO that had it's servers crashed by the dev. team because the players were about to 'finish' the game?
That sounds like FF11.  I haven't heard that specific story but it's almost exactly like a thing they would do.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #568 on: April 20, 2012, 08:24:42 pm »

Oh, yes thats the one, thank you. Got to go check it again, good story from what I remember.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 20, 2012, 08:42:29 pm »

That sounds like FF11.  I haven't heard that specific story but it's almost exactly like a thing they would do.

I heard that story, how they unplugged it just as they were about to beat an "unbeatable" boss.

I think that happened in Everquest too...
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 213