Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 645447 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« on: March 16, 2012, 09:52:31 am »

In this thread you will find amazing Tales of Fail from the wacky, sometimes magnificent and often tragic world of Kickstarter.

-----------------------------------------------

With all the big news about Double Fine ect.... pulling in tens of thousands all the monies in only days, it's inevitable that many people are beginning to see Kickstarter as the Goose that laid the Golden Egg. So it was only a matter of time before the rank amateurs and dreamers started coming out of the woodwork.

Without further ado, I present to you THE FUTURE OF MMO GAMING, WHERE EVERY FANTASY IS ON THE DEVELOPMENT LIST! No idea too great! No idea too small! No concept too fantastic or unworkable!

Your World

Make sure you read the rewards section!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that the Kickstarter is officially sabotaged over, if you find you still can't get enough of the zany hijinks of Bucky Bartlett, head on over to his forums where he's plotting his take over of all gaming. (And continuing to let priceless gems dribble out of his mouth hole.)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:54:30 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 09:58:38 am »

Heh... those rewards guarantee the game would crash and burn, indeed. No one likes the idea of playing a game where someone will always beat you because they're rich and willing to shell out $10k to the game's development.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:01:23 am »

Yea, this is perhaps the biggest fail kickstarter i've ever seen.
and.. from the "project leader":
I am an idea man. I think of what I want and I try to make it happen. I am in love with this project and I will do everything in my power to hire all the right people to make this project a reality if it is fully funded.

God, anyone who calls himself a "idea man" likely has not only no idea how to do anything he is claiming he wants to do, but also has no way of computing how much time/effort/money each idea he has will take.

...and what is his obsession with "guild banks".

edit: he apparently owns a pizza shop.

Also: when your asking for over a million dollars, why can't you spell-check your kickstarter page... It's full of spelling/grammar errors. [I'm not great at spelling/grammar either, but i would at least spell-check myself asking for a million dollars or more]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:06:09 am by Rift »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:04:07 am »

Just so you'd know, someone put down 10k on the last reward. I pity the fool.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:06:08 am »

Heh... those rewards guarantee the game would crash and burn, indeed. No one likes the idea of playing a game where someone will always beat you because they're rich and willing to shell out $10k to the game's development.

Give $10k = WIN GAME

He also looks like gabe newell with a mullet
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:08:55 am by Kilroy the Grand »
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 10:10:12 am »

Oh god, this man's dreams are well on their way to unearthing the jest of the heartless internet...

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:11:21 am »

lol, a game designer actually put a dollar on the backing just to comment on how terrible it is.
See comment by: Mark Willett

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 10:15:05 am »

At least he set out with an unrealistic financial goal (like beyond the projects being done by big names). It'd be worse for Kickstarter in general if someone actually gathered the money and then miserably failed to deliver.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:18:42 am »

Nirreln has gone stark raving mad. (This can be real, that guy doesn't think he'll get over one million dollars by May third.)
I couldn't read through the about section I stopped after the section about the different server worlds.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 10:21:28 am by Nirreln »
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 10:18:46 am »

That dollar is the man's pity to this terrible idea and to the poor guy that put down 10k to this project. I feel overwhelming amounts of pity to this project.

It's like making a game based on the internet. It feels like he's crowdsourcing for ideas than being the so called "Idea man". He's only contribution to the game is guild banks. 

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:19:49 am »

Wow, this is like that one minecraft server (no links, forgot the name) that asked incredibly large amounts of cash for rankings, and claimed that all of its plugins were its own, and not taken from other servers, despite massive evidence on the contrary.

This is not going to work. At all.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:22 am »

I'm kinda thinking this is a joke. For one, that is the most unflattering portrait one could imagine.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 10:22:23 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/29/business/yourmoney/29money.html?pagewanted=all

Scroll down a bit. Looks like the 1.1 million is not all that necessary for the game anyway. He won 33 million a while back. I have no freaking clue why he thinks this will work out in the end though. Seems like a terrible investment for both him and his backers. It's pretty much just a way to buy into the project when it completes, with the added benefit that it might not complete.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 10:24:08 am »

I'm kinda thinking this is a joke.

I hope so. For the guy's sake at least.
Love, scriver~

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 10:25:03 am »

In other news, Wasteland 2 has $1,160,957
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 213