Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 645427 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »

Slightly off-topic, but putting it in the bank is (probably) not a good investment.

From what I know, banks barely keep up with the inflation rate. Possibly CDs, Treasury bills/notes/bonds, corporate bonds, and other 'safe' investments are much better. For example savings bonds have 4% yearly interest, and doubles your money after 17 years or so.

When you have $32 million... almost whatever you do will yield huge profit (not relatively, but in actual numbers.)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2012, 06:24:29 pm »

I still don't believe he even has that kind of money.
Shoes...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2012, 07:06:34 pm »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2012, 07:16:07 pm »

I'll be you a hundred dollars he's spent a good chunk of that money by now.  That article already points out the other pie-in-the-sky ideas he's had, like a Wicca School, and he already bought a pizza parlor.  My guess is, he's on kickstarter because he suddenly realized he really wants to make the Best MMO of 1998, and he's already spent like half his winnings or more.

Also, holy fuck, that "concept" "art".
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2012, 07:21:10 pm »

Yep it isn't uncommon for people to spend all their winnings rather quickly. Even if it is a rediculous amount like 100 million dollars.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2012, 08:47:30 pm »

Dunno about the US, but over here, people in the know say pizza joints (as long as they do decent pizza) are a respectable investment and with 5 or 6 decent staff can provide decent returns with minimal input from the owner.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2012, 09:24:25 pm »

Dunno about the US, but over here, people in the know say pizza joints (as long as they do decent pizza) are a respectable investment and with 5 or 6 decent staff can provide decent returns with minimal input from the owner.

A pizza joint probably isn't a bad investment, but it doesn't make the guy a wiz game designer.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2012, 01:02:30 am »

...part of is me actually starting to feel a little guilty about all this. This is turning into some sort of bizarre window into the mind of Ellwood Bartlett, the man who got rich and just full on reverted back to his childhood.

Yeah, ditto. The guy clearly doesn't have much of a grasp of what he's doing, but I feel bad for him because this is just so crazily doomed. He's probably a nice guy.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2012, 02:25:57 am »

Unlike other "idea guys", he can credibly promise to pay people to work for his project. That doesn't mean it'd work out, but he'd at least will get people to develop his game, as opposed to some random 13-year-old who appears to know nothing and offer "future profits".
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2012, 02:39:20 am »

the guy does look like a toad at least, quite a bit more more than our own... he might just have a chance

seriously now, all i had in my mind as i read the project was "why him!? I should have that money, not him"

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2012, 02:41:04 am »

Unlike other "idea guys", he can credibly promise to pay people to work for his project. That doesn't mean it'd work out, but he'd at least will get people to develop his game, as opposed to some random 13-year-old who appears to know nothing and offer "future profits".
That would be valid if he were merely filling the role of a businessman running the operation. It isn't a case of running the pizza shop, it's a case of wanting to define every aspect of the pizza shop, from creating the pizza recipe to building the delivery vehicles himself. All with no expertise in any of those areas. Even if he hired Chef Ramsey, the endeavor would still fail. That is to say, it doesn't matter who he hires: the game stuff he has already set in stone is completely unrecoverable.

The reason any programmer goes into game development is to make something they can get excited about and enjoy doing. His project can't offer that, and as a result game developers would rather work on another project. To get any developers, he would have to offer substantially higher pay than industry standard.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2012, 03:27:13 am »

There must be at least one C++ monkey (Three of them?) planning on just that.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2012, 03:55:32 am »

Being moderately experienced with modding RTW, something I picked up from the RTW modding forums was to be wary of 'idea men' when it coems to this sort of thing. They tend to be pushy, unrealistic, noncommitive, and generally useless. I can't count the number of times I saw someone try to start a mod, only to admit that they have no experience with coding, mapping, modelling, etc but have lots of wonderful 'ideas' only to watch said mod never take off the ground. Vision doesn't count for much when you don't know what to do/don't know the limitations/feasibility of your intentions. I don't see this getting off the ground, honestly. Look at any good mod or indie game. All of them got off the ground thanks to the technical skill of their creators, not because of idea men. Good ideas are a dime a dozen, but these will never make up for a lack of raw skill when it coems down to executing an idea.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2012, 10:24:48 am »

Part of my disgust for this project comes from the fact that I used to write these kinds of ideas, back when I was 13 and had played Ultima Online for fifteen minutes and read the manual for four hours.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2012, 10:37:16 am »

Man... if people are actually throwing their money at this guy's ideagamedream, then I think I might actually have a chance on Kickstarter with The Ancients. :|
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 213