Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 649258 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #450 on: April 14, 2012, 12:33:16 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterkewlgames/yogventures?ref=category

Wot, really?

That kinda looks like Kickstarter going right to me.  Can we have a thread name change?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 14, 2012, 12:48:54 am »

The ratio of stupid-to-awesome is still a little off for that. Plus something sweet deserve its own thread.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #452 on: April 14, 2012, 01:53:07 am »

Yep, I did think about creating a new thread for that - but I figured it would be better done by somebody else with a bigger interest in Minecraft/Minecraft-likes than me (I don't necessarily think it looks like Kickstarter going wrong either, but IIRC several other good projects have been posted in here). I don't want to start a thread because I'm not terribly interested in playing it myself and somebody who is would be better maintainer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:55:59 am by Lord Dullard »

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 14, 2012, 06:40:09 am »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterkewlgames/yogventures?ref=category

Wot, really?

That kinda looks like Kickstarter going right to me.  Can we have a thread name change?

So it' is a less blocky version of Minecraft, made by Yogscast? For whatever reason, I can't really see it as a success.

But it is pretty impressive that they managed to raise 200.000.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #454 on: April 14, 2012, 12:28:05 pm »

I'm not sure that's going to succeed ... :\

It seems to basically be a Minecraft genre game with slightly different graphics and community input. And we know community input can never go wrong, right? >.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 14, 2012, 05:34:42 pm »

It seems to basically be a Minecraft genre game with slightly different graphics and community input. And we know community input can never go wrong, right? >.>

http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/

Project C.A.R.S is a racing sim being developed by Slightly Mad Studios right now and is entirely based on community input. Literally. Since the day the game was created, the community themselves has been able to play it--sort of. Basically, you pledge money through a kick-starter-like system, and then you get access to builds of the game as it currently is each month/week, and then can give your feedback to the developers.

It's also shaping up to be one of the best racing sims of all time.

So community input CAN work.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 14, 2012, 06:58:07 pm »

http://www.wmdportal.com/projects/cars/

Project C.A.R.S is a racing sim being developed by Slightly Mad Studios right now and is entirely based on community input. Literally. Since the day the game was created, the community themselves has been able to play it--sort of. Basically, you pledge money through a kick-starter-like system, and then you get access to builds of the game as it currently is each month/week, and then can give your feedback to the developers.

It's also shaping up to be one of the best racing sims of all time.

So community input CAN work.
And you know, Minecraft is only really enjoyable because of things the community have done IE mods. To the point where the next patch is to make modding easier.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 14, 2012, 08:34:39 pm »

I think Minecraft modding community really points out how Mojang and or Notch himself just didn't understand why folks were playing the game in the first place. It doesnt have a strong Design Framework or Direction.

Minecraft is essentially about two things. Exploration and Creation.  And by accident it manage to add conflict to Exploration with the addition of Mobs, though I dont really think that was it's purpose. I think Notch went, "Gotta have things to kill, it's a game."

But at the same time, the game has been filled with huge artificial difficulty, by making it nearly random to find particular materiel you want. And the "fix" was to make them more abundant. The Modding Community addressed this by creating Creative Mode, where it completely bypasses the incredibly unrewarding time sink of finding materiels.

If Notch had an understanding of why folks played his game, then he could have invested in some time in making Sane Geology for Minecraft, eg, making it so that you can purposefully find materiel that you want from environmental clues.

And even recent Design Direction still points how they don't understand their own game, which is now verging on sad. The Ender Dragon. Really? That should only exist, if it's guarding Advanced/Rare/Unique/Extremely Valuable Materiel (Making it into a conflict with creation and exploration), instead it's really just to kill the monster. In other words tied to the game main two themes.

The Ender Dragon would make more sense, if the game was about killing mobs, which isn't.

TL:DR Notch is the Stephanie Myers of the video game design world.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 14, 2012, 08:39:50 pm »

Notch is the Stephanie Myers of the video game design world.

Statement of the year here folks. You heard it first from Wiggles.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #459 on: April 15, 2012, 08:21:08 am »

Mr.Wiggles, pretty sure Notch created creative mode o_o

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 15, 2012, 09:52:58 am »

Surely "finding monsters" ties right in with "exploring to find things"...?

malloc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 15, 2012, 10:28:24 am »

But at the same time, the game has been filled with huge artificial difficulty, by making it nearly random to find particular materiel you want. And the "fix" was to make them more abundant. The Modding Community addressed this by creating Creative Mode, where it completely bypasses the incredibly unrewarding time sink of finding materiels.
By saying that you just proved that the community knows jackshit about what makes Minecraft so addicting.
People play Minecraft for a variety of reasons. It is not just about being creative, because we have a LOT of games where you can be creative without having to grind for the materials. (GMOD, Little Big Planet 1-2, the 5 zillion Minecraft ripoffs, etc etc.)
Why do you think people find it that much more satisfying to build something in Minecraft rather than any of these games? It IS because of the fact that you need to hunt for the materials. Any Minecraft creation is that much more impressive if the person who made it actually acquired the Materials.

[..] making Sane Geology for Minecraft, eg, making it so that you can purposefully find materiel that you want from environmental clues.
I'll give you that. Finding anything interesting in Minecrafts underground is very much like playing the slot machine. But honestly, would adding environmental clues really be the best idea? Would anyone other than a geologist even notice these clues? I consider myself relatively wellread. But I honestly would not notice these clues unless I looked it up on the wiki. Also it would be very much a hassle to balance and implement.

TL:DR Notch is the Stephanie Myers of the video game design world.
Tasteful..

I wish I could write as beautifully as you, but my mind was always better with numbers.

But I totally agree on one point, the ender dragon was probably not the best idea.
While it did add an interesting goal for when me and my friends were playing. We have had a few playthroughs where we started out in the game, and then tried to make it to the end without dying. For the less vocal majority of people, it did just that, add some arbitrary point to the game.
But in the end it did not really fit into Minecraft all that well, he could have used the development time to some more blocks to play with. Also the villages could have been implemented better.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 15, 2012, 12:04:02 pm »

Mr.Wiggles, pretty sure Notch created creative mode o_o

Too Many Items came first, which is effectively Creative Mode.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #463 on: April 15, 2012, 03:25:47 pm »

I'd argue not, but ... meh. >.>

Note that there was an entire mode (the original one) called Creative. o_o...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #464 on: April 15, 2012, 03:47:44 pm »

The non-squares/blocks intrigue me.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 213