Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 645517 times)

Yannanth

« Reply #525 on: April 19, 2012, 05:56:34 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:47:22 pm by Yannanth »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #526 on: April 19, 2012, 06:28:30 pm »

Yeah, there's a lot of evidence that Bartlett doesn't understand the technical side of... well, all things gaming.  Probably the most concrete evidence of this is his assertion that all content and world information from the beta will be kept when the game goes live.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 19, 2012, 06:30:09 pm »

Yeah, there's a lot of evidence that Bartlett doesn't understand the technical side of... well, all things gaming.  Probably the most concrete evidence of this is his assertion that all content and world information from the beta will be kept when the game goes live.

Its odd but a part of me is sort of rooting for this to work. I mean it is insane and won't work in a thousand years...

But wouldn't it be awsome?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #528 on: April 19, 2012, 06:34:09 pm »

Ooh, you know that if you make the level XP graph even marginally exponential, you'll never have people get to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807, so no worries there.

Even D&D-style (XP for next level = 1000 x level) is steep enough.
On second thought, it isn't.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 19, 2012, 06:44:21 pm »

I'd give some bodily appendage for someone to try and kick-start a Mordheim PC game. I think some thread I commented in on the Bloodbowl forums is still like one of the top Google results for "Mordheim" "PC game."

But that'll never happen, unless GWS collectively develops dementia and decides to try Kickstarter themselves.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:55:33 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 19, 2012, 07:01:34 pm »

I don't think people would ever get that high, but you could clearly get people at unassailably high levels.  In a normal MMORPG you're at a disadvantage to someone who trains to the highest level, but the disadvantage has a limit and you can at least get their yourself, wheras here you'd never catch up.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #531 on: April 19, 2012, 07:03:53 pm »

Although I know that man will never read this forum, I think PVPs can be balance slightly if the lower leveled character gets a damage adjustment, like DFO.

It works - if you're good enough, a 15th level character can utterly destroy a 33rd level one. The difference is significant, considering the max level is 70, will always be 70, and usually more than 5 level's difference causes instant pwnage.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 19, 2012, 07:10:26 pm »

I'm a fan of level caps for those sort of games. No matter how dedicated, there comes a point in every grinder's life where the mountain in front of them is just plain too much to climb. That's the point where they quit.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 19, 2012, 07:13:57 pm »

I'm a fan of level caps for those sort of games. No matter how dedicated, there comes a point in every grinder's life where the mountain in front of them is just plain too much to climb. That's the point where they quit.

Clearly, you've never played Aardwolf MUD.

Clarification:  You go up to level 200.  (Individual levels aren't too long; maybe an hour once you're pretty high up there and not playing all hardcore.)
Once you reach level 200, you can remort, and become two classes at once:  A level 200 fighter can become a level 1 fighter/mage.
You can continue this process for all 7(?) classes.  Each remort increases your XP requirement per level by 1x:  So a 3x remort needs 3x experience.
Once you have remorted into all classes, you can tier:  Characters start at tier 0, and when they advance to tier 1, they are once again a level 1 single-class...but they get to assign some permanent stat-point-buy discounts, and get access to all their skills ten levels earlier and can wear equipment ten levels earlier, and probably get some bonus to-hit/damage as well.  I don't remember what this does to your XP requirement.
Once you hit tier 9 and fully remort, you can still play around with shenanigans like dumping your levels into stat boosts or more HP or whatever instead.

This whole time, you can do quests every half hour, which earn you quest points that you can dump into special quest equipment.  (Quests are 'This is the name of a monster, this is the area it's in; kill it within a half hour'.)  You can also do a campaign every level, which usually slows down your OMG MUST LEVEL FASTER experience but breaks things up a bit.  (Campaigns are a series of multiple, harder quests that you have a few hours to complete, for a large bonus.  And can do in parallel with normal quests.)

For reference, if you play all the way through, and you play all hardcore and only take a half hour per level, you are gaining 14000 levels over a course of 292 days of solid play (assuming you never sleep or take a break to socialize).

There is not a shortage of tiered players.  Most people who have played for even a little bit are T1 or T2 or something.  Back when I still played, there were quite a few T9s.

...I want to play again.  GODDAMMIT.  (I only got up to my first remort.  Cleric/ranger centaur I think?  Yeah I got like a level per two hours.  I idled a lot.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:32:03 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 19, 2012, 07:49:06 pm »

Ah, one of those reincarnation system thingies.

Yeah those work well. Kingdom of Loathing's another one like that, where you get spells and equipment every time you start over.

The problematic systems are the ones where the amount of playtime before seeing any reward gets so ludicrous that no one in their right mind would try it. Then it gets bad enough that people not in their right mind don't try for it either. Maple Story's like this I believe (though I hear they keep nerfing the curve).
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 19, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »

That clearly has a level cap though.  Reincarnation systems are dependant on the idea of a level cap and a maximum power you can be before having to restart.  This would be just getting stronger and stronger forever.

I dunno, I'd be tempted to just eradicate levels for an MMO and focus instead on customization of your character as you earn experience.  For me level systems only work if there's no chance to grind (think roguelikes where there are a limited number of monsters or you can't stay on each level for too long), really, as otherwise you have to do boring stuff constantly in order to be remotely competitive.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 19, 2012, 08:24:16 pm »

There will always be a market for grindy MMOs I think since they appeal to people who like "earning" things. Why they don't apply themselves to a job or something where they earn something tangible I dunno, but still. When there's a clear goal and admiration to be gained from other players by obtaining it, people get motivated and get those fuzzy feelings from accomplishment (false or no).

/shrug

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 19, 2012, 08:25:46 pm »

The tall mountain of success is surrounded by many small, gentle hills with pleasant views.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 19, 2012, 11:28:57 pm »

So, it would seem that ole Bunky's relaxed state is rapidly diminishing.  He's now begin deleting certain comments, soliciting outside donations via Paypal (illegally) and has actively threatened at least one individual (read the comments on his last update).  Things are getting interesting.

I left him a vaguely positive message in the hopes that repetition might get through to him.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 20, 2012, 12:26:44 am »

I left him a vaguely positive message in the hopes that repetition might get through to him.

From his response, I don't think it did.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 213