Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 645415 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #585 on: April 21, 2012, 02:01:50 am »

Hate to double post, especially to contradict myself, but this really does warrant bumping the thread. As of two minutes ago:
Quote from: Ellwood Bartlett
Hookerbot swag!
100% true. Not kidding. Actually, he didn't embed the link like I did, but I think the message is preserved.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 21, 2012, 06:45:01 am »

Hate to double post, especially to contradict myself, but this really does warrant bumping the thread. As of two minutes ago:
Quote from: Ellwood Bartlett
Hookerbot swag!
100% true. Not kidding. Actually, he didn't embed the link like I did, but I think the message is preserved.

Hehe, the best thing about that link is the thong. Not because an "I <3 hookerbot" thong is especially erotic or cool (wheres the motherfucking s? We were promised hookerbots dammit! Is there only one, implausibly named "hookerbot"? What the hell! Time to invade second conditional Poland, before our legions of subordinate clauses blizt Passe Compose France in a hail of conjunctions.) No, no my fellow forumites. It is not my latent leaning to the far right of the political grammar spectrum that amuses me. Rather, it is the fact that this is the sole item available that proudly sports the logo "Made in the USA".

I mean, where was the logic? "Ok, people will like this stuff *project marketing thoughts*. Hmm, people like stuff that's made in their own country. Its good for the economy and they can get a little surge of patriotic feeling when they buy it. Good times. But we need as much monies as possible! How can we get monies without sweatshop labour?!? Ok, ok, we'll make only one item on the list "Made in the USA"! That's the good stuff right there! But which to choose? The thermos, representing America's traditional mastery of science and industry? Perhaps a t shirt, to celebrate our influence on casual world fashion? No. Its so simple, why didn't is see it before?The perfect choice is a grammatically incorrect thong!" 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #587 on: April 21, 2012, 10:03:33 am »

Why oh why is it 'i luv hookebots'  >:(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #588 on: April 21, 2012, 10:20:05 am »

This guy really sucks at designing websites. I mean, why are there poker chips?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: April 21, 2012, 10:29:03 am »

I really don't get this. If I wanted an overpriced I <3 Hooker Bot t-shirt from cafe press I could just upload that image myself and not pay his $10 markup.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #590 on: April 21, 2012, 10:44:56 am »

Because he used the "gaming" template in his site design studio.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #591 on: April 21, 2012, 10:55:56 am »

Because he used the "gaming" template in his site design studio.
Meh

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: April 21, 2012, 11:59:34 am »

Guys. Guys.

Roll over each of the images.  It gives you a large version right?

Not the last one couple.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 21, 2012, 12:26:45 pm »

I think the Hookerbots at least surely have to be a joke.  I mean, it's a Futurama reference.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 21, 2012, 12:59:00 pm »

Why the hell would you ever market a thong as made in the good old US.

Make something that my pastor can't say I'll go to hell for wearing, like the damn trucker cap.
Hello Hunam

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 21, 2012, 01:12:30 pm »

Do you think it would be legal to market something made in Not-US as "Maqe in the USA" with the q go extra far up, so people think it's made in the US, but it isn't really?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 21, 2012, 02:11:19 pm »

A success story from Kickstarter, from SomethingAwful no less!

Quote from: Krenzo
Police Warfare

Battlefield 3 meets cops and robbers. This looks really good, and they do a great job of showing what kind of game they want to make unlike Tactical Shooter.

Quote from: Police Warfare
We've assembled a team of experienced developers that will bring the world of Police Warfare to life and we're still growing! Members of the team have worked on games such as Far Cry 3, Gears Of War, Crysis 1/2, Assassin's Creed 2, Medal Of Honor: Airborne, Golden Eye, Killzone 2, and Grand Theft Auto 4. We've worked at companies such as Ubisoft, Epic Games, Electronic Arts and Crytek. We also brought on real law enforcement advisors to provide tactical expertise, resources and knowledge.

We've come together to form a new team and a new company. So why Kickstarter, why not just take the game strait to some fancy publisher and get it made you ask?  Well when we say we want to create games for gamers, by gamers we mean it. That means we want to hold ourselves accountable directly to the fans and build them exactly the game they want to play. The kickstarting financing we're asking for is going directly towards two primary areas: First, it's going towards the cost of the team's office space utilities, hardware and software. We're a team thats still growing and we're hiring additional engineers and external talent so the second part of the funds is going towards bringing those people on full time. We're continuing to invest our personal funds and kickstarter provides the boost we need to bring the game into a fully playable phase of development.

Quote from: Der Shovel
Yeah, the amazing thing here is that their project seems to have zero programmers. Who is going to make the actual mod instead of just circle jerking around weapon models?

Quote from: Krenzo
Oh shit, I didn't realize that. There's no way that's ever getting made now.

Quote from: Hungry Bit
Looks like the Police Warfare Kickstarter was just canceled. Guess they realized it's not gonna happen without a programmer.

Goes to showcase that maybe, just maybe people may understand why Kickstarter is not always such a good idea and that there are smart people out there who realize a dumb idea and is ready to back out of it. That being said, they did say that "this is by no means the end of Police Warfare".

BACKERS
$25,025
PLEDGED OF $325,000 GOAL
FUNDING CANCELED
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator about 3 hours ago.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 21, 2012, 02:36:51 pm »

Undershooting funding goals is probably the first sign a team doesn't know what it's doing. I was hearing about a Kickstarter that took in something like $350,000.....then spent 70% of the money just fulfilling the reward level promises and the cost of incorporation and overhead. They had no money left to support them on developing the actual game.

While teams of experienced industry people seeking crowd sourcing to create games publishers wouldn't back has been a cool thing....I think it's starting to create unrealistic expectations in some people's minds about how easy this all is. To me, Kickstarter is ideally something for non-industry people who have experience programming but still may hold down a day job. They may fumble through some of the business details but they are capable of producing a product, they simply need funding to do more, faster and possibly better.

These Kickstarters where people think they can sell a good idea and just hire the talent they need to achieve it with their Kickstarter money...I think is what gives it a black eye. And I'm not talking about the Elwood Bartletts of the world that have failure written on them before they start, but the ones with reasonable goals that still can't reach them....because they're amateurs trying to do semi-professional things and thinking money is the pathway to success.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 02:42:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 21, 2012, 03:15:09 pm »

Undershooting funding goals is probably the first sign a team doesn't know what it's doing. I was hearing about a Kickstarter that took in something like $350,000.....then spent 70% of the money just fulfilling the reward level promises and the cost of incorporation and overhead. They had no money left to support them on developing the actual game.

While teams of experienced industry people seeking crowd sourcing to create games publishers wouldn't back has been a cool thing....I think it's starting to create unrealistic expectations in some people's minds about how easy this all is. To me, Kickstarter is ideally something for non-industry people who have experience programming but still may hold down a day job. They may fumble through some of the business details but they are capable of producing a product, they simply need funding to do more, faster and possibly better.

These Kickstarters where people think they can sell a good idea and just hire the talent they need to achieve it with their Kickstarter money...I think is what gives it a black eye. And I'm not talking about the Elwood Bartletts of the world that have failure written on them before they start, but the ones with reasonable goals that still can't reach them....because they're amateurs trying to do semi-professional things and thinking money is the pathway to success.

Completely agree with this. At the end of the day, what you really need to make a game is programers. Or even only one programer. Everything else, animators and modelers, writers, composers, voice actors and  marketing teams, are all there just to make the programer's life easier. They make the game itself, the very code that gives rise to the universe they create. Take Dwarf fortress as an example. Toady is not a Michelangelo of the digital age, spinning wonder out of polygons and pixels. Nor is he a modern Don Draper, gathering vast interest through his marketing-fu. He's a programer and a bloody good one*, and so he brings us a game that many love with the burning passion of a thousand suns** and without which this glorious forum wouldn't even exist. In practical terms, a bunch of models and animators know about as much about making a game as painters do about designing an building an architecturally sound house. 

*I accept that he may not produce an UI that's friendly on the eye, or the parts of the brain that deal with logic. But it's only because he doesn't give a fuck about UIs, at least when he could be making unkillable zombie armies and badgers that tear people limbs off.         

**This is the best kind of passion.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 21, 2012, 03:47:35 pm »

Yep. Working with programers on a daily basis teaches you that, in the end, shit doesn't happen without them and if your program isn't a good one, EVERYTHING else you're doing is window-dressing around that fact. You can even have all the content in the world but if the system that underpins it is bland, limited or uninspired, you're not going to produce the kind of gaming zen that makes your game a classic....or that makes you rich.

Programmers are the lifeblood of a game. And the only person who has any business trying to assemble a team of programmers to achieve their dream is someone who has had experience doing it. If you don't know shit about shit, don't be cooking up $500,000 dollar dreams. That's a recipe for mismanagement and disaster.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 03:51:03 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 213