Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 645426 times)

God in the Details

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #3120 on: October 25, 2016, 03:05:53 am »

You're not doing that either, and besides, proper Mongolians ride bareback and barefoot, controlling their other halves by whispering words of wind and thunder in their ears.
Someone should write a book on how to do that. Perhaps they can get a Kickstarter.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:55 am »

Someone should write a book on how to do that. Perhaps they can get a Kickstarter.

My mom has been trying to get her friend to write a book on various training topics for about two years now, but the other woman is stubborn.  Agrees it needs to be done, but tries to delegate all the work back to my mother.  Mom's like "I'd be happy to talk about ideas and do editing, but I can't write it for you."

She's got a blog though.  Which has lots of written stuff.  She just can't comprehend compiling it into a book (there's a lot of built-in self-degradation from when her mother told her "there you go trying to sell your nickel for a dollar again": the blog is free, I can't turn that into a book and charge people for it).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:10:16 am by Draco18s »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3122 on: October 25, 2016, 08:32:03 am »

You're not doing that either, and besides, proper Mongolians ride bareback and barefoot, controlling their other halves by whispering words of wind and thunder in their ears.
That sounds like exactly the sort of things people throw money at in the hopes of success, plus there's a real danger of horseriding going the way of horses vs cars :<

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: October 25, 2016, 08:34:38 am »

Lets make a kickstarter for a book about car driving :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: October 25, 2016, 10:13:22 am »

What about spurs for cars? I bet that'll make them even faster.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: October 27, 2016, 02:02:18 pm »

What about spurs for cars? I bet that'll make them even faster.

Only if it (the spur) is red.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: October 30, 2016, 09:06:43 am »

She's got a blog though.  Which has lots of written stuff.  She just can't comprehend compiling it into a book (there's a lot of built-in self-degradation from when her mother told her "there you go trying to sell your nickel for a dollar again": the blog is free, I can't turn that into a book and charge people for it).
Then don't charge for it. Gitbook makes it easy to create e-books that can be read online or be freely downloadable for offline use.

You could then charge for a physical copy of the book that is created by some POD services, saying that the text is free, but that you have to pay for the experience of reading a physical copy of that text away from an electronic device. (Of course, even then, your mom's friend could argue you can just print out the e-book version of the text, but then the user has to pay for the printing costs and don't get an awesome cover with that e-book copy.)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:10:30 am by Skynet »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: October 30, 2016, 09:38:21 am »

Then don't charge for it. Gitbook makes it easy to create e-books that can be read online or be freely downloadable for offline use.

You could then charge for a physical copy of the book that is created by some POD services, saying that the text is free, but that you have to pay for the experience of reading a physical copy of that text away from an electronic device. (Of course, even then, your mom's friend could argue you can just print out the e-book version of the text, but then the user has to pay for the printing costs and don't get an awesome cover with that e-book copy.)

I will suggest that, but I don't know if that's the solution either.

While a lot of the content is free, not all of it is. This sort of training is what she does for a living.  It's how she's (trying) to make money.  The problem is that people keep trying to find ways of not paying for it.  e.g. people don't want to pay $20 for 6 hours worth of training videos just because the first 1 hour is available for free.

But thanks!

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: May 13, 2018, 12:23:54 pm »

Oh man, this thread has lain longer dead than I thought. Well, awful Kickstarters still exist, and they are still just as entertaining to hear about.

Anyway, today I bring you a fantasy heart-breaker rpg/phone app/video game/MMO/Virtual Reality boondoggle.

At the age of 12 I was considered to be one of the most creative/inventive people in the United States (within 98-99% according to TCAP). I have earned degrees since then in Pre-Medical Sceinces and Anthropology from Pikes Peak Comminity College;

Just click forward to see unrotated photographs of hand-written notes, the amount you need to pledge to receive an LED light-up cap, and surprisingly, a lot of excellent constructive criticism in the comments section.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: May 13, 2018, 12:39:21 pm »

So they expect to make a video game for 25 000?
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: May 13, 2018, 01:02:30 pm »

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: May 13, 2018, 02:34:32 pm »

Oh man, this thread has lain longer dead than I thought. Well, awful Kickstarters still exist, and they are still just as entertaining to hear about.

Anyway, today I bring you a fantasy heart-breaker rpg/phone app/video game/MMO/Virtual Reality boondoggle.

At the age of 12 I was considered to be one of the most creative/inventive people in the United States (within 98-99% according to TCAP). I have earned degrees since then in Pre-Medical Sceinces and Anthropology from Pikes Peak Comminity College;

Just click forward to see unrotated photographs of hand-written notes, the amount you need to pledge to receive an LED light-up cap, and surprisingly, a lot of excellent constructive criticism in the comments section.

Oh boy, 99% on the TCAP? This man must be a genius inventor!
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: May 13, 2018, 04:32:35 pm »

It looks like it's a Kickstarter for a table top game, and the video game is a stretch goal? The wording confused me a bit.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: May 13, 2018, 04:49:32 pm »

I like the part which promises "plus 6 more galaxies", since a single galaxy just wouldn't be big enough for a rag-tag band of adventurers.

*: It's also a weird setup that he showed the custom dice, and the price per set for 100 sets, e.g. it's the quoted price for him getting custom dice made in bulk. It's just a really dumb idea to have special dice that aren't really that special, but it's also really dumb to actually quote your supplier's price to your proposed customers.

**: The logical problem here is that you need to pledge on the $55+ to get the gaming dice, and the supplier for the gaming dice takes a minimum order of 100 sets, for $9.50 per set. So ... he's banking that at least 100 people take the $55 tier or higher for that, and that leaves him with a bill of $950 just to get dice produced, out of $5500 in pledges! People can bring or buy their own dice cheaper than that, amd you can knock the tier down from $55 to $50 and he actually ends up with an extra $5 to spend on development that way.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:04:07 pm by Reelya »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: May 13, 2018, 04:59:23 pm »

Yeah, I like that the stretch goal reward pictures are photographs of phone screens showing the thing.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 213