Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 645394 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #3165 on: May 14, 2018, 06:36:15 pm »

The firmament. Heavenly waters. Where did you think the flood came from?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: May 14, 2018, 08:49:58 pm »

(and hollow-earth) theories is

My dad once gave me a copy of a magazine Ancient Aliens that he'd bought, I don't really know why.

One of the articles mentioned on the cover was "Hitler: Unwitting Pawn Of the Tibetan Mind Masters?"

Note, that the Tibetan Mind Masters thing basically originated with traditional tibetan mystic beliefs about a hollow Earth, and the conspiracy-theory version holds that there's a huge worldwide network of tunnels occupied by evil Tibetan overlords who use telepathy to influence the world above. And people were writing about this on the assumption that it was a real thing up to at least the 1980s.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 08:53:10 pm by Reelya »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: May 14, 2018, 09:44:33 pm »

there's a huge worldwide network of tunnels occupied by evil Tibetan overlords who use telepathy to influence the world above.

Is that what they called subways?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: May 14, 2018, 10:01:24 pm »

Pfft! typical solid-earthist propaganda. The subways were put in to prevent people digging too deep and discovering the truth.

https://www.gaia.com/lp/content/hollow-earth-theory-is-the-subterranean-civilization-of-agartha-real/

Is there evidence of a civilization or atmosphere capable of harboring life deep beneath the Earth’s surface? While a lot of the information we receive from NASA and environmental agencies is probably accurate, there is still much to be discovered about our planet and maybe some things that have been kept secret. And no, this isn’t an article advocating the Flat Earth conspiracy, but what about the Hollow Earth theory? Is it just as crazy or is their evidence that there is a civilization known as Agartha deep inside our planet?

That's the Tibetan Mind Masters link I mentioned in connection with the Nazi/Tibet link: the hollow earth realm is supposedly accessible / the same as Agartha, which was supposed to be in Tibet. Shambala / Shangri-la is supposedly the capital or connected to the secret underground empire of Agartha, and this all links together when you start reading about how the Nazis were apparently influenced by Agartha in Tibet. e.g. not all the articles point it all out, but a few do connect all the dots: saying Nazis were influenced by Agartha is really saying that Nazis were in contact / influenced by a vast secret underground empire ruled by Himalayan Asians.

e.g. the image that was intended to be invoked of the Mind Masters of Tibet was of little Asian guys in traditional Chinese outfits with Fu Manchu moustaches, using mind-control rays from their secret subterranean tunnel network to influence the surface world. e.g. a vast secret underground empire of telepathic Ming the Merciless lookalikes from the old Flash Gordon stories.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:15:16 pm by Reelya »

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: May 14, 2018, 10:06:16 pm »

Oh, hey, a thread filled to overflowing with morbidly humorous failure! I'm posting to watch because as usual I don't know enough about this to contribute yet.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: May 14, 2018, 10:45:35 pm »

That KS has to be a joke.

I don't think it's a joke, I think it's like strange unskilled outsider art. This guy has been playing his weird homebrew D&D game for a decade completely unaware of the flourishing scene in indie tabletop RPGs. He's heard of Kickstarter, but has no conception of what a good kickstarter page looks like, or what kind of RPG products get backed. Because he's disconnected from these communities, and has never created a product usable by people, he overestimates his skills in things like game design, project management, salesmanship, spelling, etc.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: May 14, 2018, 10:57:00 pm »

Yeah well he must be really out of touch, because I'm not exactly up with the latest in RPGs, but even I can tell that his grasp of tabletop RPGs is out-dated, and my basis for that is what RPG designers were coming out with back in the 1990s. The ideas he's playing with were already old hat when AD&D 3e or even 2e was coming out.

I especially like the bit where he claims it's extra-realistic because it takes real-world physics into account, and the evidence for that is that he calibrated physical performance off of real world records for e.g. running. So i'm guessing that if you've got 100 in athletics or something, you're literally Usain Bolt. And with the "roll twice and pick the highest" rule for character design, then that means that 1 in 50 playable characters with be as fast as Usain Bolt, and that 75% of the population will be at least half as fast as Usain Bolt (e.g. if you roll 50%+ on the first dice, or you roll 50%+ on the second dice). And, corollary to that, 50% of the entire population will be at least 70% the speed of Usain Bolt.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 11:15:27 pm by Reelya »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: May 15, 2018, 12:04:05 am »

Well I just spent the latter half of my night re-reading this thread. Thanks.....me......you dick.

Something occurred to me while I was reliving the highlights though....

Bucky missed his window by a couple years. Back then, this kind of unreasonable shit wouldn't and didn't fly. Rank amateurs saying outlandish and preposterous things, banking on their "charm" and money to get the supporters they needed.....was laughable back then.

Now.....? If Bucky had tried to Kickstarter Your World today, he'd have been hailed as a visionary and floated to sublime, legendary success with his game. Crazy what a difference 5 years can make.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: May 15, 2018, 12:13:27 am »

Yeah, he was definitely shooting for the moon too obviously, with nothing to show and a huge budget ask (which was still way way low to make something like he was saying). I'm not really sure he'd do any better now however. Not after things like No Man's Sky have poisoned the well for a lot of people.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gamers don't necessarily know what will make a game that they want to play. e.g. imagine if you're scripting a TV show and each episode, you poll the viewers for what they want to happen next. Greatest show ever, right? lol
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:38:13 am by Reelya »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: May 15, 2018, 12:37:31 am »

(It was a Trump gag.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: May 15, 2018, 02:18:56 am »

That KS has to be a joke.

I don't think it's a joke, I think it's like strange unskilled outsider art. This guy has been playing his weird homebrew D&D game for a decade completely unaware of the flourishing scene in indie tabletop RPGs. He's heard of Kickstarter, but has no conception of what a good kickstarter page looks like, or what kind of RPG products get backed. Because he's disconnected from these communities, and has never created a product usable by people, he overestimates his skills in things like game design, project management, salesmanship, spelling, etc.
Well, I assume that if you take at face value tbe KS you also take at face value his claim of speaking akkadian. And given that noone has in the last 2500 years give or take, yeah, in this scenario where we accept he's actually Sargon the Great's nephew he HAS been out of touch
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: May 15, 2018, 04:16:04 am »

Hey bro, I worked out what he meant. "Acadian French" is the name of a dialect spoken mainly in Canada, but also in parts of the USA. So when he wrote:

I did learn Akkadian or Cajun French as a kid

Here he means he picked up a bit of both dialects of French, not two different languages. The "or" there is what got my attention, so I googled "akkadian French" and got the answer to the puzzle. He would have written "and" if he meant two distinct languages.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:27:58 am by Reelya »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: May 15, 2018, 04:17:21 am »

What.
The.
Sanity.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: May 15, 2018, 04:33:19 am »

(and hollow-earth) theories is

My dad once gave me a copy of a magazine Ancient Aliens that he'd bought, I don't really know why.

One of the articles mentioned on the cover was "Hitler: Unwitting Pawn Of the Tibetan Mind Masters?"

Note, that the Tibetan Mind Masters thing basically originated with traditional tibetan mystic beliefs about a hollow Earth, and the conspiracy-theory version holds that there's a huge worldwide network of tunnels occupied by evil Tibetan overlords who use telepathy to influence the world above. And people were writing about this on the assumption that it was a real thing up to at least the 1980s.

Well the Tibetan Empire must have gone somewhere.
Love, scriver~

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: May 15, 2018, 04:42:00 am »

Clearly he is so smart that he knows the link between Acadian French and Akkadian, and we plebs are too stupid to realise that by saying "Akkadian or Cajun French" he meant "Acadian, also known as Cajun, French". Truly a great mind of our time.

Well the Tibetan Empire must have gone somewhere.
I, for one, welcome our new Tibetan underlords.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213