Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dealing with a Troll  (Read 3720 times)

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
Re: Dealing with a Troll
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 04:24:54 pm »

I don't know if there's a nicer way, but you can build both cages as buildings and change the assignment of the troll to the new cage in the Q menu.  Make sure the cages are close together, because this requires a dwarf to drag the troll to the new cage.

+1 to trolling the elves or otherwise finding a way to use the double entendre.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 04:26:31 pm »

Trolls are building destroyers. So use it as your CPU

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 07:09:37 pm »

Put the troll under a retactable bridge, then drop passing elves/goblins/kobolds/dwarves/goats into it.  :)
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 08:04:51 pm »

Would the troll be useful to train your military or would it be to powerful? I kinda want to know because in my game I've got lots of trolls (there's over 20 in my pit) that came as an invasion and I want to get rid of them in an efficiently manner.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 08:18:46 pm »

Target practice.

make it a building in a room with a bridge over a pit.  1 connect the bridge to a lever
2 connect the traps to a different lever
3 -- make sure the trolls etc., cannot cross  after you pull the bridge lever
4 set up a waystation
5 pull the lever for the traps
Trolls et all should be wandering on a ledge. 
6.  assign archers there.
7. watch real archery practice for once.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 08:40:48 pm »

Would the troll be useful to train your military or would it be to powerful? I kinda want to know because in my game I've got lots of trolls (there's over 20 in my pit) that came as an invasion and I want to get rid of them in an efficiently manner.
Trolls will probably maul raw recruits if they get the first shot in. I would say that two light shields plus just enough steel or iron armour to not slow the dwarves down will produce the best result, barring lucky attacks. Trolls make good punching bags because of their size, and if you can dodge their attacks then you can take your time batting at them with the shields. Have some more experienced troops just out of sight, or a bunch of civilians with crossbows.

For live target practice, you could set up a grinder with no traps and have creatures run back and forth across the marksdwarves line of sight. The dwarves will have a harder time hitting them because they aim for the place the target is right now, so you get more time shooting and less time clearing up. The wiki notes that this setup is vulnerable to building destroyers (such as... trolls), but I believe you could make it work by using retracting bridges instead of hatches.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 09:04:40 pm »

wouldn't it be possible to carve the sides of the pit into arrow slots?  Just don't allow the archers to shoot across from one side to the next.

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 09:40:00 pm »

wouldn't it be possible to carve the sides of the pit into arrow slots?  Just don't allow the archers to shoot across from one side to the next.

I can already shoot into the pit from above and because the siege token isn't showing it means that the goblin archers in the pit won't fire back

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 07:19:14 am »

Trolls will probably maul raw recruits if they get the first shot in. I would say that two light shields plus just enough steel or iron armour to not slow the dwarves down will produce the best result, barring lucky attacks. Trolls make good punching bags because of their size, and if you can dodge their attacks then you can take your time batting at them with the shields. Have some more experienced troops just out of sight, or a bunch of civilians with crossbows.

For live target practice, you could set up a grinder with no traps and have creatures run back and forth across the marksdwarves line of sight. The dwarves will have a harder time hitting them because they aim for the place the target is right now, so you get more time shooting and less time clearing up. The wiki notes that this setup is vulnerable to building destroyers (such as... trolls), but I believe you could make it work by using retracting bridges instead of hatches.

Hatches open the same moment something steps on the pressure plate linked to them. Bridges have a considerable delay, enough to let the Troll cross.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 10:06:27 am »

I can already shoot into the pit from above and because the siege token isn't showing it means that the goblin archers in the pit won't fire back
No, it just means the siege was broken.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 03:33:15 pm »

Hatches open the same moment something steps on the pressure plate linked to them. Bridges have a considerable delay, enough to let the Troll cross.
Move either the bridge or the pressure plate so that they're about 15 tiles away from each other.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]