Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question: Embarking Pets -> People  (Read 1050 times)

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
Question: Embarking Pets -> People
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:43:21 pm »

Another trick for "more embark dwarves" is to add [PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC] to dwarves during worldgen, then take it off before embarking. You can buy extra dwarves for 1 dwarfbuck each now, in the animal menu. They will act as normal but have the "tame" tag show after their name, annoying but not game-breaking. Hope this works in 40d!

There's also a "more embark dwarves" utility you can find, probably in DFusion package, which gives "normal" dwarves. You could hunt around for a 40d version.

So, I saw this post and was wondering if you could basically make a multi-racial fortress with this tweak? For example, could I add Elven "Slaves" (or pets) and have them work and move around my fort as Elves but basically functioning like normal Dwarves? Then the big question for me is, what do they display as? Do they use Dwarf images or use the Elven images for characters?

Second topic (and much less important), how do I change the default "Create a New World" embark points without doing the "Advanced Startup"? Is that even possible? Worst case, I'm fine being resigned to custom worlds.
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Question: Embarking Pets -> People
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 11:55:49 pm »

Question 1, It is late for me to respond to it. As It is a complex system. Adding PET and COMMON_DOMESTIC will let you have elven pets, but not labor. Since only MAIN_RACE creatures in fortress mode and do labors, at least without the aid of DFusion.

Slaves are only possible if they are a caste of DWARF

Second topic
alter <df dir>\data\init\world_gen.txt and alter the embark points in the those (I think create a world looks for the very top of each size)
Mem hack (programs like: cheat engine, t-search, art-money)
or as you said custom worlds.