Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My Little Darkness Beta Thread  (Read 13514 times)

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Little Darkness Beta Thread
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:03:28 pm »

Development thread for My Little Darkness Beta.

Upgraded Pony Features

Developed Earth, Pegasus, and Unicorn Tribes.

Earth Ponies are notably stronger, tougher, and enduring that the other two castes. Their close connection to nature and the earth allow all earth ponies an increased awareness of themselves and their environment. They gain improvements to their abilities in many skills involving nature and the earth; however, their hooves and mouth do not permit them to perform fine tasks such as surgery or weaving.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pegasus Ponies are faster than the other two castes, with greater reflexes and senses of movement. Without an earth pony’s attunement to nature, or a unicorn’s deft manipulation, however, they will find many skills somewhat difficult to perform. While their stewardship of the weather entails cooperation in order to properly shepherd cloud formations, many have discovered that keeping a personal cloud provides a fun mini-weather factory of their own, though few will master their cloud enough to create bolts of lightning or gusts of wind.

Unicorn Ponies possess superior analytical abilities and focus, as well as the ability to manipulate objects with their telekinesis, allowing them to perform many of the finer skills their brethren cannot. While most lack particular skill or talent in magic, they still have access to apprentice-level spells, though few will be able to muster the months of effort necessary to learn to learn them While such spells will be available upon embark through tomes, more powerful spells will require extensive research.

Completed Special Talent and Cutie Mark Functionality

60 career family talents and associated cutie marks. Possession of a talent boosts skill gain rates and reductions in rust rates for a select few skills within its family, along with minor boosts to less closely associated skills. (Boosts to attributes are planned but have not yet been implemented) Furthermore, many talents are limited to specific castes, or have a caste alignment which leads to greater numbers of that caste possessing them. Examples include;

Over twenty prestige-tier talents with unique combinations of skills and better boosts to mental/physical attributes, at the cost of being rarer than ordinary talents. Examples include:

Extremely rare caste-unique prestige talents.
While all Earth, Pegasus, and Unicorn Ponies all possess the innate abilities of their caste, the select few possessing these cutie marks are able to take full advantage of their tribal heritage.

While talents are innate, the cutie marks which are the only outward indicator of talent do not appear until a foal becomes an adult.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:01:23 pm by Lycaeon »
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Little Darkness: Departure (version 0.8 beta)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:03:51 pm »

Changelog

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:24:13 pm by Lycaeon »

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:10:46 pm »

Ohh, this looks quite interresting, deffo giving this a spin before releasing Fanon is Magic :P

Gotta say, love what you've done with cutie marks, and the caste build in general, its so... structured.. you can actually see what's going on XD
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:42:59 pm by Sorcerer »

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 06:48:48 pm »

Ohh, this looks quite interresting, deffo giving this a spin before releasing Fanon is Magic :P

Gotta say, love what you've done with cutie marks, and the caste build in general, its so... structured.. you can actually see what's going on XD

Thanks. I had to use a program to make most of the adjustments as copying 360 castes for every change you wish to make is absolutely horrendous.

Even after this much effort I've only implemented at most 2/3rds of the planned castes, cutie marks, and features. That is something I will work on in time, in addition to a complete spell-system for all three tribes.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 06:56:23 pm »

Yeah I figured you werent crazy enough to do all that manually XD
I definately got to do something about the creature file for my ponies, it has SO MUCH redundant data!

Mind if i grab some features from this for Fanon is Magic btw?
I'm not sure what plans you have for spell research, but I have a basic research system in place for FiM that might be interresting if you don't want to do double work.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:07:15 pm »

[TLCM_TIMING:ROOT:12:0:12:1]

oh wow... does that do what i think it does?

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 07:10:12 pm »

Yeah I figured you werent crazy enough to do all that manually XD
I definately got to do something about the creature file for my ponies, it has SO MUCH redundant data!

Mind if i grab some features from this for Fanon is Magic btw?
I'm not sure what plans you have for spell research, but I have a basic research system in place for FiM that might be interresting if you don't want to do double work.

Sorry, it's not available for lending just yet. I would like some functionality tests done on the mod itself so I get a better idea of what's necessary to update.

And yes, that hopefully will do what you think it will do. I just haven't had the chance to run a 12-year fort yet and find out.  ;)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 07:17:30 pm »

Hehe, fair enough. Hmmm.. looking at this creature file tho, i think mine needs a complete restructure..
I didn't know about SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE when i set it up so all my castes are complete copies O_o

Anyhoo, mad props to you! The amount of work gone into just the cutie mark system you have here looks staggering!

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 07:21:13 pm »

Hehe, fair enough. Hmmm.. looking at this creature file tho, i think mine needs a complete restructure..
I didn't know about SELECT_ADDITIONAL_CASTE when i set it up so all my castes are complete copies O_o

Anyhoo, mad props to you! The amount of work gone into just the cutie mark system you have here looks staggering!

Just wait until unique castes with [POP_RATIO:1] are added.  ;)

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 07:32:40 pm »

How exactly is this flaming torch supposed to work anyway? Is it a weapon, or is it just a standard "workshop converts dwarf into special dwarf caste", similar to the Golem mod?

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 07:39:29 pm »

How exactly is this flaming torch supposed to work anyway? Is it a weapon, or is it just a standard "workshop converts dwarf into special dwarf caste", similar to the Golem mod?

It gives creatures this;

You will find that most Taken exposed to light will quickly become quite killable.  ;D

The only problem is that the torch will eventually burn out, requiring another one to be given.

Edit: New version being released that updates dwarf entity reactions and makes them playable (Original only had a placeholder entity file).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:13:18 pm by Lycaeon »

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 12:20:50 pm »

Dwarves are now playable.

Planned features for 0.9 beta:

Anyone have further suggestions or things they would like to see for either the Taken or Ponies?

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 09:10:27 pm »

So far I have been unable to build a 'Well-lit-room because the pony building it is standing on the building blocking it i think. And none of my unicorns have horns.
-The Dwarf Creed-
This is my workshop. There are many like it but this one is mine. It is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without my workshop I am useless. I must use my workshop well. I must work harder than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. He must have fun before I do. I will make it so. Before Armok I swear this creed: my workshop and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it. Amen.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:16:45 pm »

So far I have been unable to build a 'Well-lit-room because the pony building it is standing on the building blocking it i think. And none of my unicorns have horns.

Ah, my apologies for the building issue. Here's the quickfix;

In building_well_lit_room in your raws, replace the three lines stating:

[BLOCK:1:0:1:0]
   [BLOCK:2:1:0:1]
   [BLOCK:3:0:1:0]

with this:

[BLOCK:1:0:0:0]
   [BLOCK:2:0:0:0]
   [BLOCK:3:0:0:0]

Do this for the spell archives as well.

As for the unicorns, they have horns. I just labeled them with the [SMALL] token at the moment so they can't be easily sliced off in battle, which would essentially cripple the unicorn (Though the horn won't show up in listed bodyparts, it and the telekinetic arms are functional). This will probably be changed for a future release, though you can change it now by removing the [SMALL] token from the UNICORN_HORN bodypart in body_pony.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:20:09 pm by Lycaeon »

scotch208

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:01:37 pm »

Oh ok that makes sense. In fact I just had a unicorn show up without a horn 0.0 she was very badly beat up but seemed ok other than being hornless.
-The Dwarf Creed-
This is my workshop. There are many like it but this one is mine. It is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without my workshop I am useless. I must use my workshop well. I must work harder than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. He must have fun before I do. I will make it so. Before Armok I swear this creed: my workshop and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it. Amen.
Pages: [1] 2 3