Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32

Author Topic: RTD - Roll to Dodge Library & Hall of Fame (updated 6/17)  (Read 102443 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: RTD - Roll to Dodge Library & Hall of Fame
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 05:53:53 pm »

I don't really know with Tiruin. He... kinda listed a bunch of RTDs without actually saying anything about them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 08:47:32 pm »

Mind if I offer unsolicited advice based on my own curatorship of the Hall of Legends?

-I ended up instituting a delay between nomination and when it could receive additional votes. The reason is that when a thread/game is young, it has lots of promise and everything is smiles and sunshine. However, as the game goes on some players lose interest, GMs lose interest, the game goes in less than Legendary directions, and assorted other misfortunes befall the thread. If a game is still worth talking about a month or two after it is nominated, then it is more likely to be worthy of enshrinement in the Hall of Fame section.

-Given the way you're going about it, instead of having a separate Hall of Fame and Library, why not just merge both and organize the whole thing by total number of votes? That way, the good stuff drifts to the top as it separates from the stuff with just a few rabid fans/players, but the others are still around for reference. It's also less work for you, since the stuff people want to be Hall of Fame worthy will get multiple upvotes, while the stuff that should just be cataloged will get their first vote or two and then sit.

-Keep track of who votes for what; it'll make it easier for thread followers to fact-check (Hey, did you get my vote for XXX?) and it will also allow you to correct for nastiness like multi-account vote spammery. Using [abbr] makes that info a nice neat mouseover.

And as long as I'm here, I'll throw in an upvote for Roll to Seek the Grail and RtRtD, as both gave me more than a few belly laughs. I'd also suggest Hero Caddies for the Library at least, as the way prologue is handled is definitely worth cataloging.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 09:05:57 pm »

The RTD board's first sticky! Thank you, Toady One.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2012, 09:21:47 pm »

Ah yes, that nice bold look. How nice.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2012, 09:25:39 pm »

Everything monk said.

The post is a little cluttered right now, with three separate lists. Putting them all in the same list would make things a lot nicer. You could still have a divider below everything with, say, five votes, to sort them into "popular" and "really damn popular" entries. I don't really see a necessity for separating them into active and dead lists either, it just creates a lot more work for you. When a RtD is announced as dead, a small note can be placed after its entry.

Also, people submitting guides for you to paste into the second post is a good idea. I seem to remember IronyOwl mentioning that he was going to write one. *poke poke*
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2012, 09:52:34 pm »

Oh, I see this got a sticky.

The post is a little cluttered right now, with three separate lists. Putting them all in the same list would make things a lot nicer. You could still have a divider below everything with, say, five votes, to sort them into "popular" and "really damn popular" entries. I don't really see a necessity for separating them into active and dead lists either, it just creates a lot more work for you. When a RtD is announced as dead, a small note can be placed after its entry.
I find your first line to be absurd. I don't see how three separate lists can possibly be more cluttered than one giant one.

And I also think separating alive and dead RTDs does make a difference. It allows someone to ignore what is no more and what is currently active. It doesn't sound like much, but there's a lot of dead RTDs out there compared to living ones. Lots of dead RTDs.

As for work, seriously? It's a simple cut-find spot-paste job. As a GM I say that it couldn't possibly take that much effort.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:54:44 pm by Tarran »
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2012, 10:07:59 pm »

"Cluttered" wasn't the right word to use there. I probably should have said overcomplicated. I was mostly backing up monk's suggestion to organize everything into a vote-sorted list. And if we organize the list that way, I think it would be better to have a small tag after the description that says ACTIVE, ABANDONED, or COMPLETED. This would allow people to quickly spot active or inactive RtDs, while still keeping the "sort by popularity" format and organizing everything into one list.

Thanks for the feedback, Termin.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2012, 10:15:48 pm »

As curator of the Hall of Legends, I can definitely say the less work the better, if you want to have timely updates over a long period of time. Cut and paste jobs are simple, but also tedious and not terribly fun, especially after the first rush of excitement wears off. Think of how many RTDs get abandoned because the GM gets bored. Now imagine this thread is an RTD except without fun plot, new enemies, abilities, players, rewards, thanks, or really much excitement of any kind. I don't run the Hall of Legends because it's a super fun time, let me tell you.

The first post is a bit cluttered between Active, Dead, Hall of Fame inductees and HoF nominees, especially given some slight confusion about the overlap. That said, I do support separating Active and Dead games for precisely the reason Tarran mentioned. It's also helpful if somebody is just looking for an entertaining read and wants a definite end to the story/game, as opposed to somebody looking for a game in progress to kibitz on.

EDIT: NINJA! Although I like the color coded tag idea too.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2012, 10:20:42 pm »

I submit Wacky Death Race [Active] for librarification.  It's a crazy race where all player pilot death machines of their own design, where both the design and race itself are governed by RTD mechanics.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 10:21:36 pm »

I vote Hall of fame for Wacky Death Race
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:30:44 pm by Scelly9 »
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2012, 10:27:02 pm »

I don't really know with Tiruin. He... kinda listed a bunch of RTDs without actually saying anything about them.
Eep, I thought it was inferred that those were in for the general list...

Restating:

Quote from: Finished
Roll to Seek the Grail > Already in as a Legend.
Fortress of Blood(?)
Westlands
Quote from: Active
Deviation-22 > Already in as a Legend.
The Covenant of Arcane Steel > List as Active
RTRTD > Already in as a Legend.
For the Fortress of Blood, it shows that even with heavy RP, the RTD can get going in a smooth fashion and how to link up characters that are journeying for a major plot goal.

Westlands, it is old (for me) and only known by word of mouth. When I saw it, it gave insight on how to run an RTD when problems arise...generally. Multiple events happened that changed the characters in such a way that creativity ruled over their lives.

Edit: It's already in upon re-checking.

Also, hurrah for sticky!

Suggestion for Library Keeper, could the usage of the [horizontal rule]
Code: [Select]
[hr] be implemented to separate certain RTDs from the rest?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2012, 10:30:41 pm »

Edit: It's already in upon re-checking.
Actually, reviewing, there's only one vote.

So Westlands is still a heap of chaos rather than a famous heap of chaos. :P

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2012, 03:14:26 am »

I submit Wacky Death Race [Active] for librarification.  It's a crazy race where all player pilot death machines of their own design, where both the design and race itself are governed by RTD mechanics.

I vote Hall of fame for Wack Death Race
I suppose I should second my own game, but I'm not sure wherether or not it deserves to be in the Hall of fame. There were are some balancing problems, and rather dynamic rules.( Really, I think I changed every rule almost once during the entire game).

Also, Wack the dead race seems like a fun idea. The players are protesting against the race, and all armed with wooden mallets.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:48:29 am by 10ebbor10 »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2012, 11:58:58 am »

Also, Wack the dead race seems like a fun idea. The players are protesting against the race, and all armed with wooden mallets.
Hehehee
That would be fun.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2012, 01:05:44 pm »

I also vote Wacky Death Race. I've not had so much fun in an RTD, nor been in one to last so long. The sheer effort and as close to balanced as is possible on a first try with so many different ideas would deserve my nomination on it's own!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32