Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Safe" evil cloud?  (Read 3475 times)

Outis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
"Safe" evil cloud?
« on: March 17, 2012, 01:00:24 am »

Hi guys.

I don't know much about evil clouds (other than one that caused my adventurer to pass out repeatedly), but I heard they can cause a myriad of random symptoms. I encountered one without any immediate symptoms, though. In fact, I tried to stay in the cloud as much as possible to see what might happen, but the cloud seemed to have no effect on my adventurer. Can evil clouds cause any delayed or invisible effects? Also, I noticed that my adventurer was covered in evil cloud coatings last time, but this one didn't leave any. Is this related to the symptoms as well?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:26:52 am by Outis »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: "Safe" evil cloud?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:34:22 am »

Those coatings dont do anything, its just like blood covering.
Delayed symptomes can happen tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:36:55 am »

Well the one thing the coatings do is transmit the syndrome to anything you strike with a coated thing.

One extremely dangerous theoretical use of this would be a husk adventurer covered in dust that causes extreme pain. It would not hurt him, but as soon as he punches someone they experience the syndrome.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:43:29 am »

Throw your weapon into the cloud, let it get covered in rotting dust, then have fun.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 06:45:22 pm »

Five years later, retired Thokab McAdventurer is struck down by necrosis of the everything.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 07:07:06 pm »

The only one I found so far caused blistering. I would have weaponized it, but I couldn't find a way to get it onto people without ripping their clothes off.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 07:54:47 pm »

The only one I found so far caused blistering. I would have weaponized it, but I couldn't find a way to get it onto people without ripping their clothes off.

This is a problem why, exactly?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Outis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »

Five years later, retired Thokab McAdventurer is struck down by necrosis of the everything.

That sounds pretty fun. I guess that adventurer won't live long enough to see that happen though.

Speaking of coatings, I wonder if I could cover my weapon in these coatings so I can turn whomever I strike into husks and zombies, instead of infecting them with deadly diseases?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:37:07 pm by Outis »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 09:47:26 pm »

yea I thought that some clouds may be safe as well after all 4 of my foragers got caught in one.... few months later they had eaten everyone else in the fortress XD
Nom nom nom

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 09:17:18 pm »

yea I thought that some clouds may be safe as well after all 4 of my foragers got caught in one.... few months later they had eaten everyone else in the fortress XD
The clouds... they hunger for blood.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.