Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: ‼Ω‼ ‼¶‼ Dwarf Chocolate Mod .34.11 (Minecarts and Cooldowns) ‼#‼ ‼Π‼  (Read 73532 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I was looking into making a mod specializing in expanding "Secrets" such as necromancy. I was told to take a look at this for comparison. I hope you don't mind a little reverse-engineering.`
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

Yep, DF Chocolate has a lot of cool stuff, but a lot of it is really frustrating. I had to add long delays between similar strong spells and abilities in Genesis, otherwise it's "screw your fort" too often which is not good for gameplay.
Only took one spell in this case; one of the merchants decided to take out a goblin snatcher with a fireball right outside the main gates. The ensuing grass fire totally destroyed the pasture and killed a woodcutter, half the chickens, all the rabbits and both yaks.
On the plus side, he burned himself to death taking out a kobold shortly afterwards and we got to loot the charred remains of his wagon for a load of useful stuff we couldn't afford to buy.
Yep, DF Chocolate has a lot of cool stuff, but a lot of it is really frustrating. I had to add long delays between similar strong spells and abilities in Genesis, otherwise it's "screw your fort" too often which is not good for gameplay.
Only took one spell in this case; one of the merchants decided to take out a goblin snatcher with a fireball right outside the main gates. The ensuing grass fire totally destroyed the pasture and killed a woodcutter, half the chickens, all the rabbits and both yaks.
On the plus side, he burned himself to death taking out a kobold shortly afterwards and we got to loot the charred remains of his wagon for a load of useful stuff we couldn't afford to buy.
That's okay. What I meant is an ability to hurl such fireballs every few steps. Or even stronger spells. It can be balanced if the author desires, but it is all there and awesome nonetheless :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

I've been play-testing the next version here and there, though I'm pretty busy with other stuff most of the time.  The spell delays are wider and creatures like Liches and Trickers have reduced stealth abilities, although magical creatures with Extravision can still cast through walls.  I don't see this itself as a big problem: it makes sense, the attacks are of limited range, the creatures capable of this are very few in number, and it's nice to have some kind of threat that can't simply be walled away.

I still need to copy over Uristocrat's material changes, and fix the too-hostile kobolds bug, but the encounters with magical enemies are a bit less unforgiving.  I've fixed some of the erroneous reactions, too, thank you for telling me.  About feathers and boulders, the latter only drops from very large feathered creatures, and the former is only ever found by mining in fortress mode, at least until Toady One introduces adventurer mining.

I was looking into making a mod specializing in expanding "Secrets" such as necromancy. I was told to take a look at this for comparison. I hope you don't mind a little reverse-engineering.`

No mind at all, have fun.  This mod's pretty much open to anyone for any moral use.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

any moral use is a dangerous thing to say on this forum ;)

Just wanted to report to you, that I got a report that one Inkman did kill an entire fortress due to its syndrome and the spreading of bloodspatter/inkspatter.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

any moral use is a dangerous thing to say on this forum ;)

Just wanted to report to you, that I got a report that one Inkman did kill an entire fortress due to its syndrome and the spreading of bloodspatter/inkspatter.

Yep, the ink should be limited to [SYN_INHALED] and [SYN_INGESTED] and shouldn't be so lethal.  A few other creatures will get toned down too, but I intend to keep some of them very deadly (basilisks and lightning men come to mind).  A lot of stuff was designed to increase the challenge of evil and savage areas, but like you and Deon have pointed out, some of the stuff is way overboard.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Dwarf Chocolate 0.34.11 is now up at DFFD.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

This is just about where it should be for now.  Assuming there will be many changes to make when the next major DF update rolls around, I'm going to work on stuff like appropriate growing seasons for the many plants, before that update comes out.  Excluding any other issues or bugs that pop up and need fixing, anyway.

I'm happy to report than Ink Men are no longer absurdly deadly as they were, due to some forgotten line deletions.  That's what copypasta gets you.  Aside from that, spellcasters are still formidable, but less rapidly so.  Raws specific to Wizard Tower aren't really balanced yet, but I'm not sure Wizard Tower was ever really balanced to begin with.  Weapon practicing for adventurers is now optional, and the extra kobold entity's ambushes were toned down.

Also fixed was a sneaky, yet obvious problem with the paper material, meaning Elven merchants will no longer show up with "fire" or metal and other weird products.  My thanks to everyone who's reported issues and expressed enjoyment of the mod.  I'll try and keep updating it (however slowly) for the foreseeable future.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile

:D

The funny thing is, I was just working on a pseudo-update to this last night (I made my own system for adventure crafting but the secrets were copied directly)... instead of a crucible or item-less crafting, you need to find certain "toys" like the miniforge to make equipment at. In addition to the mini-forge (metalworking), you have the mini-bloomery (smelting), home carpentry and masonry kits (guess) and the sewing kit (tailoring, sewing together hides, weaving, etc.). To make finding these harder, I also added a bunch of other useless toys, like dice sets, model wagons, more model weapons for the goblins, and collectible figurines of all the races - elves are the only race that makes all five kinds, humans and dwarves only make figurines of the "good" three races, and kobolds only make kobold figurines.

Great mod, though. It's fantastic.
My wooden badge was delicious.

abrightdark

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

This is my first week of Dwarf Fortress & I'm just now trying out a few mods I'm enjoying the hell out of "Wizard Tower" modification and everything else done in the "Chocolate" mod please do keep up the awesome work !

One question atm though I'm having troubles keeping track of when and where my wizard's are hurling their fireballs is there any way to have it pause the game whenever a bit of combat happens?

The forest fires go unnoticed mostly when wizard's get assaulted/interrupted by wild life the combat reports mostly go on as I attend other things and all of the sudden I come back to the start of a raging fire hoping that I can pause and order the wizard's into the safety of their "burrow" (more like underground dungeon/lair thingy, I'm awful at making things pretty in this game.)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

I'm glad you're enjoying it.  You can control which announcements pause the game, and there's some information on how to do that here, but I don't know if you can have it triggered by specific combat announcements that way.

I'd be interested in coming up with a "safer" fireball spell with a reduced capacity for starting uncontrollable conflagrations, but I'll have to experiment.  I may just end up giving Wizards a general resistance to fire if nothing else works.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

You can't have specific combat announcements do that.

chalicier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I started playing this yesterday as I haven't played Wizard's Tower in aaaaages and wanted to give it a go. I'm enormously impressed - the sheer breadth of additions is mind-blowing.

One thing I've noticed is that none of the entity raws permit any race to use the CALCIUM_MAKING reactions. I'm guessing that's a bug? I have an embark with buttloads of flux, and thus buttloads of Lime Cake, but no access to essentially any kind of salts so I'm relying on limecake and gypsum to provide my weird liquid rations  :)

It occurs to me that with some work I could turn this into the basis of an Ars Magica mod - although ideally there would need to be some improvements to modding support in DF first. The interactions are Just That Good(TM).

Jaso11111

• Bay Watcher
  • The Emperor protects...
    • View Profile

Do i need to generate a world with advanced parameters like in masterwork or can i use the normal one?
Also can someone explaine too me how too sellect the sorceres has a playable civ?
EDIT: Also what are all the new tools used for?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:54:51 am by Jaso11111 »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile

Do i need to generate a world with advanced parameters like in masterwork or can i use the normal one?
Also can someone explaine too me how too sellect the sorceres has a playable civ?
EDIT: Also what are all the new tools used for?

You select them on the Site Selection screen, before you embark, in the Civilizations tab.  Sorcerers are represented on the map by the 'π' character.  Most of the new tools are used with Adventurer reactions.  Advanced worldgen parameters are not required.

I started playing this yesterday as I haven't played Wizard's Tower in aaaaages and wanted to give it a go. I'm enormously impressed - the sheer breadth of additions is mind-blowing.

One thing I've noticed is that none of the entity raws permit any race to use the CALCIUM_MAKING reactions. I'm guessing that's a bug? I have an embark with buttloads of flux, and thus buttloads of Lime Cake, but no access to essentially any kind of salts so I'm relying on limecake and gypsum to provide my weird liquid rations  :)

It occurs to me that with some work I could turn this into the basis of an Ars Magica mod - although ideally there would need to be some improvements to modding support in DF first. The interactions are Just That Good(TM).

The calcium making thing does sound like a bug - I'll check it out before the next release, thanks for letting me know. 

If you're really interested in an Ars Magica conversion, you might like to check out insolor's localization patch for changing game strings.  Meph showed it to me a little while ago, and while I haven't played much with it, it's got tremendous potential for modding the atmosphere of the game.

nonobots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm back to DF after a long hiatus, and was checking if Flora and Fauna was updated (as I've been playing with it for a long while), seeing it was not, I searched a bit and stumbled onto this post. You might want to edit the original Flora and Fauna post so it points here, it will make it easier to find.

I will be looking into this mod asap. Thanks SethCreiyd!

P.S. OMG I'm in the acknowledgements! (misspelled my username btw)
Playing DF on a Mac.

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is there a packaged version with a tileset available ?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11