Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Winged Creatures Tactics  (Read 1790 times)

Kaplahworm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Winged Creatures Tactics
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:51:32 pm »

Okay,

I have 5quests at the moment (that seems to be the maximum you can have?)
1 is very far off to the north and i dont feel much like the walk.
The other 4 are all in one cave, and are all winged creatures.

Last time i tried taking that place out (same world) well..... it went .... as a dwarf fortress player, I guess I should say "Fun"  :-\

Any tips for taking out the flying pricks?
Swordsman with alrightish fighting/Sword/shield/dodge and a smallish party with me, actually.... that's about the same as last time.
And i dont fancy playing it spamthrowdirtatwall style, doesnt seem much fun to me.

So, how should i flush out these flying freaks?

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Winged Creatures Tactics
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:53:40 pm »

Hire a few archers?

Kaplahworm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 03:02:03 pm »

I have 1 bowman and 1crossbowman.

I already said i am a swordman, and i have 5 other melee fighters with me.
8 of us total.

And decided to go on the epic adventure to the north for now.
Any teamates that survive will be stronger, and if some die, eh i guess i can swap them out for ranged units.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 03:28:07 pm »

What sort of winged creature? A flier, right? But what kind?

In general, when I'm fighting something that flies, I usually go for leg/wing shots first. Leg damage, oddly enough, still causes fliers to drop prone, which should slow 'em down. And wings, well, I think you know what I'm going for there :P.

But still, it'd be handy to know exactly what sort of winged creature you're dealing with. If they're small enough to lop off limbs, I say go with nice slashing strikes to the wings. Swordsman? So, use an iron/bronze longsword, preferably. If they're too large for that, going for penetration would probably be your best bet - stabs rather than slashes, basically.

Also, you might try using two weapons. Let one weapon get stuck in your opponent, and then their mobility and evasiveness go down quite a bit, increasing the amount that your second weapon will hit them.

Kaplahworm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 03:32:51 pm »

What sort of winged creature? A flier, right? But what kind?

In general, when I'm fighting something that flies, I usually go for leg/wing shots first. Leg damage, oddly enough, still causes fliers to drop prone, which should slow 'em down. And wings, well, I think you know what I'm going for there :P.

But still, it'd be handy to know exactly what sort of winged creature you're dealing with. If they're small enough to lop off limbs, I say go with nice slashing strikes to the wings. Swordsman? So, use an iron/bronze longsword, preferably. If they're too large for that, going for penetration would probably be your best bet - stabs rather than slashes, basically.

Also, you might try using two weapons. Let one weapon get stuck in your opponent, and then their mobility and evasiveness go down quite a bit, increasing the amount that your second weapon will hit them.

Well, didnt know you could wield 2 swords, so thats cool :D

And erm, they are just called Winged Creatures..... thats what the games been calling them for me.
And the leg idea sounds good, i normally got good chances with the legs, didnt realise that caused them to drop out the sky.
New tactic achieved!
Thanks ^_^

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 03:41:40 pm »

Yep, you can dual-wield :). Technically, you can hold any number of items in your hands (although it takes a little trickery), but I choose not to, because it breaks my suspension of disbelief.

And erm, they are just called Winged Creatures..... thats what the games been calling them for me.

Oh, right, THAT kind of "winged creature". Randomly generated night trolls. That changes things a bit. I don't think they actually fly, which is useful. And 4 of 'em, all in one cave? Hmm... you're going to want to draw them out of the cave, onto open ground. That way, you've got room to move around. Do NOT let yourself get surrounded, and take them out one-by-one.

Do they have horns? If they do, that's risky. Horned night trolls often wind up goring me, which is often fatal, or at least crippling. So, in that case, you should be extra cautious.

Other than that, just treat 'em like any other tough enemy with no ranged attacks (except that night trolls don't feel pain). Go for the legs first, to bring them to the ground. If they're holding a weapon, try to attack their hands/arms in order to get them to drop it. Stuff like that, really. Also, in my experience, it's a bit tougher to chop the limbs off a night troll than a human, although it varies from variety to variety. So, you might want to favor stabbing rather than slashing a bit more than you would on a human.

And the leg idea sounds good, i normally got good chances with the legs, didnt realise that caused them to drop out the sky.

Drop prone, not drop from the sky ;). There's a difference, in dwarf fortress. Try it against a vulture or something on the z-level above you, and you'll see what I mean.

Kaplahworm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 03:49:05 pm »

You mean it knocks them to the ground? (as in the setting "On ground" where you have to press S to stand?)

Also, finding room for archers wont be a problem, my entire party died. On the way back i found a cave with near infinite unarmed kobolds.
I thought we was doing fine, then another 2 waves of them apeared. And i noticed all my party were dead.

Im still fine no damage as im falling back and hacking as i go, but still, i lost Lashy and Swordy my 2 named companions. I had swordy with me from the first mission i did :(

Then again, so far ive gone from 22named kills to 64, so i guess i killed a few of the kobolds friends too >.<

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 04:04:19 pm »

oooh, a whole lair of night creatures. Your best bet is to lead your brave companions into the lair and only join in the fighting when it looks to be going their way, otherwise, go back to town and hire the next group.

That or practice sneaking. Or wipe out a cave of kobolds single handedly, that should improve your skill enough

What happens when you hack a flying creature in the legs? In case you want to try it out yourself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In general, a leg or hand shot is the way to go. If you damage a leg enough they go prone and are more vulnerable, slower and less good at fighting back. Hands are especially important if they have a carving or boning knife or such,  but if damaged enough will stop some of their grappling and punching. So, legs and arms. Only when they're mostly disabled should you start going for killing blows. Slashes are the way to go up to there. However, once they're prone, take the opportinity attacks to head, throath or upper body (the blue ! behind the target). You are likely to sever an artery. Only with some of the weaker ones have I ever managed to cut off a head or lower body. Jamming the skull, tearing the brain or bleeding it out are most common.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:13:51 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kaplahworm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 04:43:16 pm »

It was a long battle.
Much blood was spilt.

But i won ^_^
Archers got a few of the kills, in the end there was about 6 of them in the cave, so my rep is gunna go up quite a bit from all that, and one of the kills was a mission from the lawgiver inside a fort so i can carry on progressing with that "story arc"
And yea, i cut some in half (which i have to admit was a nice feeling) but most of the time i was targeting legs and wings, then when i had good chances just beat them anywhere i could hit.
Over all i think that went quite well ^_^

RIP
Gulo Nithimcuro, Maceman (bled to death)
Keth Sudemuthral, Pikeman (struck down)
Pebu Gasomketes, Spearman (struck down)
And erm, the crossbowman that i left behind because he was unconscious and i was too lazy to wait, Crossbowman (Leadership ineptitude)

Edit: 5 Winged Monsters killed in total.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:47:15 pm by Kaplahworm »