Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Withheld Phone Calls  (Read 6603 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Withheld Phone Calls
« on: March 17, 2012, 03:20:48 pm »

So I keep getting phone calls on my cell phone from "Withheld" numbers periodically. When I say periodically I mean erratically every 1-4 months, I've picked up a couple of times, but nobody on the other end says anything...

It's really bothering me. I keep wondering who keeps calling me and why they've withheld their number.

My question is, does anyone else have this kind of issue? I'm kind of hoping this is not one of my old friends checking up on me, but I'm not really seeing many other possibilities here...

I'm not sure what to do about this... try to forget it?

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Withheld Phone Calls
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 03:47:27 pm »

I would not find it as disquieting as you do. There would seem to be little malicious purpose in such a thing.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 04:10:57 pm »

Sorry, I'll try to speak up next time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:06:15 pm »

I would not find it as disquieting as you do. There would seem to be little malicious purpose in such a thing.
I'm not really disturbed so much as... is there a word for when curiosity/puzzlement is annoying you endlessly? I'm sure there must be an obscure word for it somewhere.

It's just something that's really annoying me, it plays into my obsessive side. The secret to driving me insane is to leave a single randomly coloured flower on my doorstep every prime numbered day of the month. I will go crazy thinking about it.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:22:54 pm »

If really want to find out, take your phone to the company you got it from and see if they can get the number thats calling you.
Quick question, How long has this been going on for?
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:36:13 pm »

So I keep getting phone calls on my cell phone from "Withheld" numbers periodically. When I say periodically I mean erratically every 1-4 months, I've picked up a couple of times, but nobody on the other end says anything...

It's really bothering me. I keep wondering who keeps calling me and why they've withheld their number.

My question is, does anyone else have this kind of issue? I'm kind of hoping this is not one of my old friends checking up on me, but I'm not really seeing many other possibilities here...

It sounds like advertising companies want to know you are home.
On a line that doesn't really take calls.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:48:52 pm »

Quick question, How long has this been going on for?
I think somewhere between a year to two years...

It sounds like advertising companies want to know you are home.
On a line that doesn't really take calls.
Why don't I get actual advertising calls then?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:24:50 pm »

I'm not really disturbed so much as... is there a word for when curiosity/puzzlement is annoying you endlessly?
Obsession.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 09:59:25 pm »

Wow. So 2 years eh? I would definitely either call the cops or call your phone company, you dont know what it could be.
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

theTrueMikeBrown

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TheTrueMikeBrown's patreon page
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 03:46:33 pm »

If it really bothers you so much, perhaps you should get a new phone number.

I guess that you have to weigh the annoyance level of updating everyone you know to the change.
What puts the "ape" in apricot?

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 12:59:30 pm »

I'd just answer it, and it'll probably be one of two cases, either a telemarketer or a wrong number.

Telemarketer, tell 'em to bugger off.

The wrong number, that one won't be back once they know it's a wrong number.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 08:45:10 pm »

I'd just answer it, and it'll probably be one of two cases, either a telemarketer or a wrong number.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 08:47:42 pm »

Aye, I just now saw that, my mind apparently blotted out that sentence when i originally read it.  Call the police.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 05:35:29 am »

It could also be some kind of misconfigured dial up modem or fax,  I guess they probably wouldn't be silent but if it was seriously misconfigured then you never know.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 05:50:47 am »

It's almost certainly a telemarketer.

They use an auto-dialer, and it actually calls more people at a time than they have staff, on the assumption that only a certain percentage will pick up.  If they happen to tag you at just the wrong time (or they're grossly over-reaching to ensure they don't have anybody sitting around doing nothing), then there will be nobody to pick up the line.  It can sometimes take 5 minutes or more for a rep to become available.  And, historically, people will generally sit on a dead line saying "hello?" for longer than they will sit through "someone from Xxyx Corp will be on the line shortly"

In the united states, there's legislation already passed that will restrict this sort of shit, it takes effect in a few months.  (for one, they'll have to provide an opt-out in the call to prevent future calls)
Pages: [1] 2