Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hanging Chads in DF2012  (Read 2993 times)

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hanging Chads in DF2012
« on: March 17, 2012, 04:56:16 pm »

In DF2010 and earlier, my elected mayor was usually somebody with a lot of social skills and the most friends. In DF2012, though, I seem to keep getting migrant mayors with 0-2 friends, elected soon after their arrival.

My current mayor in the fort I'm messing with, for example, has a husband at the fortress, one child, two friends, and some passing acquaintances. She arrived in my sixth migration wave and was elected mayor almost immediately, replacing my longtime expedition leader/mayor (who has eight friends and many pages of acquaintances). We're about to have the tenth migration wave, but "Dirty Kubuk" is holding onto her mayoral seat, even though she still has not expanded her friendships at all.

The only reason I can think of that "Dirty Kubuk" is still the mayor, is that she's also a High Master Cook, and she prepares pretty much all the meals anybody eats in the fortress. Perhaps...my citizens might not know her, but they know and love her work? I don't think I'd vote for a mayor based on good cooking, though...

Is there some kind of illegal vote counting scheme going on here?
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Hanging Chads in DF2012
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 04:58:16 pm »

check the social skills. Some migrants now arrive with social skills in the 10s
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:23:18 pm »

Professional Negotiator, Comedian, Flatterer, Consoler, and Pacifier
(and Dabbling Persuader, Judge of Intent, Intimidator, and Conversationalist)

My old expedition leader/mayor has no social skills above Novice.

So the mayor is elected for high social skills rather than high number of friends?
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 05:26:27 pm »

Yup. Smooth talkers win every time, it seems
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 06:50:26 pm »

This is probably why people so often end up with vampire mayors, as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:36:57 pm »

Migrants in latest version, 05, are a bit buggy.  I have migrant work skills off, and just recieved wave three, two after the original cast.  They came with wierd stuff activated, some didn't even arrive with hauling on.  *bonk*  Socials have gone away, it seems from what people are saying in the other threads, to be a feature.  *shrug* Antitantrum spiral code efforts, I guess.  I sorta liked the socials, just not all the oddball trades, which didn't fit in the mix.  The battle between Devs and Players rages on, fix one thing, break another.  Take care, Knutor

PS.  Oh hell.  Wave 2 and Wave 3 merged in Therapist.  This how its supposed to be, merging migration waves?  I'm running with Vampires off, anyone else see, their migrant waves merge?  I thought those fellas in that wave had skills, but that was wave 2, which I already assigned skillsets, Therapist is counting them in wave 3.  Hmm.  Oh noes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:48:40 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:46:41 am »

The first mayor I got in my last fort was the matriarch of an extended family that migrated to the fort in the first few waves.  It's like all the dorfs decided to vote for Grandma.  She got booted right out of office, being a skilled metalsmith, whose talents were needed in the forges far more than she was needed in politics.

Then a vampire managed to get elected mayor sometime later, even though I had him walled up.  It's like he was telepathically campaigning or something.  Needless to say, he got his ass impeached rather quickly.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 12:33:07 pm »

I love the fact that when your expedition leader gets rejected in the first election in favor of some newb, the crafters all start making commemorative figurines of the leader being rejected by the community.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:37:26 pm »

You'll even see statues like that if the mayor was promoted to baron.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 10:18:46 pm »

My crafters like to make art of the leader/mayor/baron etc surrounded by the vermin type he or she absolutely despises.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath