Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kings Helmet = "Emerald Metal Headware" ??  (Read 3783 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Kings Helmet = "Emerald Metal Headware" ??
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:07:34 pm »

So....

I got my King!

He seems an ok bloke, nothing too special. So I decided to make him into something more "Kingly"
Went through and started assigning him the best gear my fort had to offer!

Well looking at his equipment screen there is the usually list of "Individual choice" for everything... Except one.
for his head gear it says "Emerald Metal Headware"

Now, he isn't wareing any "crown" or any headgear at all, but it is still there.

Anyone seen this before?

Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Helmet = "Emerald Metal Headware" ??
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:13:49 pm »

I think the game is saying that the king is supposed to wear metal headgear that is emerald in color. Why it is doing this I have no idea.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 05:24:26 am »

Oddly enough, the king doesn't seem to have personal likes.
Was goign to say if there was a line saying something like "He enjoys Emeralds for their green color and crowns" that might be cool... bit he doesn't seem to have any in his profile.

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:43:13 am »

Is it a dwarf?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:02:41 am »

He IS A dwarf... but in the area where it would normally list his likes, all it says is:
"He is very strong"

That it nothing else :P

LrZeph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:35:38 am »

He IS A dwarf... but in the area where it would normally list his likes, all it says is:
"He is very strong"
Maybe he's just really strong because he's a workout buff, so the only thing he likes is BEING strong.
And everyone knows, when the Dwarves come out of the walls, it's all over.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:53:15 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:41:40 am »

Since emerald is a dye, and only cloth can be dyed... your king is demanding some sort of adamantine cloth headwear, dyed with emerald dye. A turban should do it.

...then again, I've never tried dying adamantine cloth, so I'm not entirely sure it can be done. More importantly, I've never encountered something that specific yet spontaneous in the uniform menu.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:56:47 pm »

Emerald is indeed a dye, blade weed I believe.  So he wants to wear something dyed with blade weed, made of metal.  As above, only adamantine can be metal AND also be dyed.

You can try changing the uniform though, remove the "metal" part by pressing "M" for material, and setting "any".  It should change to "Emerald Headware" instead.

This is fascinating though, king arrives with his own military uniform!  Or at least part of it!

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 01:07:23 pm »

Emerald is indeed a dye, blade weed I believe.  So he wants to wear something dyed with blade weed, made of metal.  As above, only adamantine can be metal AND also be dyed.

You can try changing the uniform though, remove the "metal" part by pressing "M" for material, and setting "any".  It should change to "Emerald Headware" instead.

This is fascinating though, king arrives with his own military uniform!  Or at least part of it!
I vote not to change it from metal, make your king a legendary warrior wearing a turban made of candy dyed emerald. Or can you not enlist nobles, I don't recall.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 01:11:09 pm »

Emerald is a color.  Emerald green dye is one way of achieving that color, and possibly the only way to achieve it in vanilla, but it is not the only way to achieve that color.

There are, for example, glazing and enameling mods that add similar functionality.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare