Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Text mode on OS X  (Read 1342 times)

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Text mode on OS X
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:14:46 am »

Hi All,
I've decided to look into DF again, after a long absence, and have run into a problem. In order for my screen reader to work with it I need to use text mode in the init.txt file, which doesn't seem to be supported on OS X. Comments in this file would lead me to believe it should be, yet I receive an error that it isn't supported when I try to run the game.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. I know it's supported on LInux, at least, but I'd rather not run DF in a virtual machine if I could avoid it.
Thanks much,
Zack

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Text mode on OS X
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 03:03:13 pm »

I receive an error that it isn't supported when I try to run the game.

Copy and paste that error here, if you would be so kind?

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:11:39 pm »

SUre. Sorry I didn't think to do that earlier.
"Text mode not supported on your platform, using 2D."
Yours,
Zack.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 04:03:08 pm »

Based on that error, and the contents of g_src/init.cpp, it looks like Toady has a problem with his build chain.  Specifically, he's probably missing a "-DCURSES" somewhere.  I suggest you file a report on the bug tracker.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 04:13:17 pm »

I'm glad you have an idea what the problem is. I didn't think to try parsing the source code myself, I'm not nearly fluent enough with C++.
I'd love to submit a bug report, but the captcha is unreadable with my screen reader. I can't seem to find an audio alternative, as sometimes exists. Guess I'll work on finding a sighted person to read for me.
THanks,
Zack.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 04:28:33 pm »

Ah sorry, I didn't think of that.  If you gave me some more information, I'd be happy to file a bug report for you.

I'll need to know which version of Dwarf Fortress you're running, and which version of OS X.

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 04:33:11 pm »

Hi,
Thanks for the offer to help. :) I'm running DF 0.34.05, which I think is the latest version, on OS X 10.7.3.
Yours,
Zack.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 04:35:56 pm »

No need to thank me!  Here's the bug report, so you can keep up to date: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5677

Here's hoping for a speedy resolution, all the best!

zkline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 06:44:12 pm »

That looks good. :) In the mean time, I guess I'll have to settle for playing the game by proxy, which is the way I've done things up until now anyhow.
In the longer term, more support for playing on my own would be lovely, but I realize that's a lofty goal at best. WOrking text mode is probably a start.