Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: First Earth, online wilderness survival in a sandbox world  (Read 35899 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: First Earth, online wilderness survival in a sandbox world
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2012, 01:43:59 pm »

"you just can't compare a console game to an mmo! mmos by desing aren't winnable games. there comes a time when its harder to progress or you hit a level cap but there are still things you can do to get better."

I just want to point out that what you're saying applies applies here exactly. A console game and a MMO are entirely different games.

Like you said, a console game is winnable. It doesn't require a server, and it will eventually run out of content (when you win it, or when you get bored of replaying). When you buy a console game (assuming some limited degree of replay value) it makes total sense to have a single upfront payment - it's providing you with a flat amount of content for that payment.

With a game like First Earth, the situation is different, and it requires a different approach. There is constantly new content, and it needs to be paid for, along with the servers. It's too bad that it can't fit that same one time payment model, but that's just... reality. A game like First Earth is always changing and will always provide new content - pretend you're buying a new game with 60 hours worth of gameplay every month for 10$ - that's First Earth. Is that not a better deal than most 60$ games out there?

The good thing about a subscription is if you don't like the direction things are going, or if you don't feel that it's worth it, or if you find yourself in a difficult financial situation, or if you feel like the technological process is too slow, you can stop paying at any point. If changes are made that you like you can resubscribe and continue where you left off (and perhaps with new technology in First Earth). This puts a pressure on developers to keep players happy with good new content at a good pace.

If you paid an upfront fee of 60$, would you like to see the servers go down after 2 years due to Adam not being able to pay the server costs anymore? Since you're not paying a subscription, you have no way of controlling that.

A one time payment model does not really work for a MMO (the one exception I can think of is Guild Wars, but they had expansions). Payment for in game items would ruin First Earth - there is no combat so even if the item is just cosmetic, it could have great value. Subscription is the only alternative, and for people who have income (this might leave out young people who do not work, though that doesn't seem to stop enough of them from playing WoW), it usually is not a big deal at a reasonable price.

from FE forums. Basically sums it up, also stop citing failure MMOs who probably didn't bring anything unique or new to the market.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2012, 01:48:53 pm »

Or how about we leave the discussion about the subscription on that thread now that we all know where to see it.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2012, 05:47:20 pm »

a quick update adam is about to do another update and move to beta very soon feel free to sign up etc etc should be some more news in the next newsletter to i agree though he needs to get beta running and move it forward

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2012, 10:48:19 pm »

3d version of minecraft and other crafing exploration higher interactive mmos bumpage for the ignortant or those that have yet to experience it

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2012, 03:00:23 pm »

He probably meant to say that it's a 3D version of Terraria. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2012, 04:44:46 pm »

This is rather awesome sounding. But I'm not entierly sure we need another subscription game, I thought Wurm covered that already.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:48:25 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2012, 01:10:46 am »

apparently beta is now June as he has a few more updats adam the developer

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2012, 02:50:19 pm »

I would be definitely down for a Bay12 Dwarfdom. Have an empire based in the mountains, running deep into the ground. It'd be great strategically and economically!

That's amazing, I would come riding a horse and killing all.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2012, 08:56:29 pm »

preorder ( beta should kick off in June latest off the forums from the dev) u need paypal but can sign up for as little as a month or more 10 bucks a month u could wait until he gets it up it loks like its going to get going, just needs the critical mass so heres the link game looks good long term http://firstearthgame.com/preorder/

procne

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2012, 02:14:34 am »

I don't know what ollobrains is trying to do, and it's getting increasingly hard to understand him.
I don't know what this critical mass is and WHAT is "going to get going".

Maybe I will clear out some things.

First Earth is currently in closed Alpha stage, when world creation, game engine and server connection / load are tested. So there is not much except for the running around the world.

Game's dev, Adam, is currently implementing core functionalities like crafting and harvesting. Once core mechanics are in place, and game actually becomes fun to play, beta will start. But it's not going to happen until late June (and it has been planned so for some time now), at the earliest. So until then not much will happen, there won't be too much news, and, for now, nothing "is going to get going". I'm sure that once anything is finalized someone will place some info here.

As you can read in the preorder page, preordering gives you priority for access to the beta, and a bonus month of gametime if you are among 500 first people who preordered.
Adam needs this money to continue development (buying art assets, server maintenance etc.). While this money helps and Adam is looking for some sponsors, he doesn't expect people to preorder just yet, with nothing to really show about the game, except the ideas. So I guess you can treat this preorder more like a kickstarter.

The ideas behind the game look interesting and it would be nice to have some substitutes to Wurm and Haven&Hearth. And if I may add, Wurm is a different type of game. There is no survival in Wurm, and no real player advancement. Sure, your skills increase, but you can still do must of the stuff at low skill, just slower and with lower quality. In the end it's about building your home/monument-project, terraforming and making it look nice.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]