Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: First Earth, online wilderness survival in a sandbox world  (Read 35903 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: First Earth, online wilderness survival in a sandbox world
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 09:51:21 pm »

yeah ptw

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 10:08:00 pm »

I started the first thread and got very few responses, weird :<
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:11:40 pm by Tilla »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 08:30:46 am »

I started the first thread and got very few responses, weird :<
You lack CHARISMAgmAAAA

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:11 am »

Will we be cave hermits that collect all the knowledge of the lands? Then we disperse throughout the planet, showing up seemingly out of nowhere, providing a boon of intelligence to the tribes of man?

Then manipulate the leaders of the tribes like puppets, influencing their decisions for war and peace, trade and industry. We would exist as the bringers of knowledge, gods among mortals.

Meanwhile, our homelands become known throughout the world as dead man's land, because we'd have a border guard of the world's best warriors. They would kill any who cross our borders. Then nobody would know we even have a homeland but us.

Then we orchestrate a war to end all wars. We create a weave of alliances among the nations that causes something of a loyalty cascade when sparks start flying. Once the world lay in turmoil from the worldwide conflict, we emerge from the smoke, unscathed and all powerful.

Some people say I have a nice imagination.

Varnod will crush you. He will turn your lands into the unclean lands

I have this creeping feeling that I will hate myself for having to ask who/what Varnod is/from.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 10:03:13 am »

vanod, without an r, is the adventurer protagonist in Earwig's LP thread "adventures in monster island".

it's a fascinating read, the author is a great artist and writer, and the world where the adventure happens is a medium world that by chance happened to have only a tiny island as it's entire landmass, meaning you have all the beasts of a medium world concentrated on a tiny evil region. it's the tale of a naked spearwielding adventurer on a world inhabited by zombies and megabeasts.
it's relativelly new, but it seems some people are already trying to turn it into another crappy meme. oh well, somebody had to start the bandwagon

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 10:20:41 am »

PTW. This looks like we could make it !!FUN!!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 11:56:00 am »

Thank you, Askot. Luckily I've known of Vanod since the beginning. The r threw me off and I thought I had missed some vital DF-related inFUNmation.

So as a response to you, Kilroy:

The day Vanod destroys an army armed with weapons of steel and hearts of stone is the day he will become a credible threat. Of course, he would be dealt with handily before that time.

And finally, back on topic:

Had a dream about surviving in the wilds last night. Was pretty cool until it got dark. God damn hate my dreams.

I've been doing some thinking on this game, and since there are "no official guilds, nations, or races" I was wondering if it was possible to have a highly advanced Romanesque area (by the way, it appears that Romanesque is an actual word), while a distance away some villages are still learning about stone tools?

Thinking about it, it does seem possible. It's a pretty similar situation to the real world. But with it being a game, that would heavily disadvantage any isolated players. Would this mean that the advancement system is global?

That being said, I haven't read much of the information provided yet, so if any of that is already answered, you can disregard it.

christonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Play Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 02:10:17 pm »

I cant wait for this I have been watching it since forums started and the gameplay video I first saw a article on a indie site

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 02:12:35 pm »

Technology schmechnology... This game would be the first hunter-gatherer simulator huh? I can't believe no one's made one before, and I actually thought maybe I'd be the first to make a game like that some day... If he gets that part right at least, it'll be the best game evar in my book. Speaking of hunter-gatherers, I wonder how "language" and communication will be represented and "learned" in the game, unless it's just your standard text box in the bottom left...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:14:30 pm by Svarte Troner »
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2012, 02:16:41 pm »

I assume people only somewhat close to you could hear what you were saying, but as technology progresses long range communications would become possible.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 04:55:03 pm »

i hope technology doesnt progress that much

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »

I'd want, at most, a very early gunpowder age. Something like how the Spanish exploration of Central/South America was. The Spaniard side, I mean.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 05:17:31 pm »

gunpowder? my personal limit would be late chalcholithic...

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 05:21:35 pm »

As long as it doesn't have space travel, I don't really care what kind of tech there is.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 05:48:49 pm »

Hate to say it, but it sounds a little bit vaporware to me. I also don't really know what they're getting at with UO being its major inspiration. To me this just makes me think of sitting at a rock all day getting iron just so that I can be ganked by someone that's sat at rocks all day longer, and/or random wildlife. Also lots of really awful house designs in ugly places. Maybe it was different in days past, but...
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8