Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 62

Author Topic: You Are King II.I: Tales of the Storm Coast (Summer 417a)  (Read 105890 times)

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
You Are King II.I: Tales of the Storm Coast (Summer 417a)
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:23:48 pm »

Welcome, foolish mortal, to You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast!

You Are King is, and I quote, "A surprisingly deep game of politics, intrigue and feudal rule.  Play a noble, advisor or simply a minion of the King and seek royal favour - or risk the role of a rebel or independent and seek fortune at the risk of the King's wrath."
That basically describes it. Its a roleplay heavy affair, with simple mechanics to keep things balanced. The most basic mechanics are basically RTD ones; complex things that rely on chance/skill will have a die thrown for their success by an impartial authority. There's loads of other rules, but you can ask about those in the OOC thread, or read the wikia page on the rules.
Things are all over the place. You can basically do whatever you want- be a merchant, a noble, a warrior, whatever. People interact and we get a semi-coherent story/world going on!

There is a dedicated OOC thread which exists for discussing the rules, things that are happening, and asking to join the game. Find it here: here

You should post in the OOC thread before posting in here. This thread is for the game only.

Also, there is an IRC channel we use for the harrassment of eachother
/server irc.freenode.net
/join #YaK

GMing in this game is a complex thing. Many actions can be resolved without GMs doing anything- a lot of stuff is 'just' people talking.
Actions that require rolling, NPC interactions, or just a description, are resolved by one of these people:
-Me (head-GM)
-Terenos (co-GM)

and to a lesser extent the following 'kings':
-Shootandrun (Head of Ligoria)
-Filius-something or other (Head of Polca)

Map of the world:
Play is centered roughly around the purple city state of Ligoria, although this is not fixed; the tides of war and politics may shift players as much as borders.

For reference, the (outdated) world map, showing the basic shape of the world:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A list of seasons (with summaries of the season that preceded them):
-Summer 415a
-Autumn 415a
-Winter 415a
-Spring 416a
-Summer 416a
-Autumn 416a
-Winter 416a
-Spring 417a
-Summer 417a
-THE FUTURE!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 01:19:24 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II.I: Tales of the Storm Coast (Spring 417a)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 10:24:45 pm »

So you want to join You Are King II

Are you insane?

I kid, I kid.

This helpful guide might help you on your epic quest to join this daunting forum game.

Step 1: Be sure you know what sort of game this is.
This is a roleplay-heavy game. Less min/maxing, more acting like your character would act. There is no way to 'win' and the mechanics are simple, but you are expected to interact in a sensible manner with people and not make your story be just about you; tie it into the stories of others and the story of the world at large.
The game is set in a low-fantasy early renaissance world. There are two non-human races; Hacturi (Lizardpeople) and Elvs (Human subspecies. Long-lived and crazy). Gunpowder exists. Early firearms (arquebusiers) exist, but are not widely used. Knights and such are on the way out. Magic exists, but is rare, highly dangerous, and rightly feared. The gods do not intervene in the world, and their existence is uncertain.

If this sounds like fun to you, continue to Step 2. If you would rather not have to strain your think-muscles with politics and subterfuge, maybe try something else.

Step 2: Check up on the state of the world.
The world is crazy. It is created by the players as they play. There was some background lore which carried over from YAK 1 and there was a map. Everything else- made up on the spot. And constantly growing and changing. So trying to describe the state of the world- bit of a never-ending task.
Check out the list of current locations on the wiki- just skim through that. That's where stuff happens.
Skim the list of current players on the wiki. That's who is making stuff happen.
Read the end-of-season summaries (at the bottom of the first post). That what has happened.
Read the last page or two of the thread. That's what is happening.
You now have a vague impression of what the world is like. If a particular aspect interests you, you can ask about it in the OOC thread.

Step 3: Think up what sort of character you would like to create.
So you have a vague impression of what sort of game this is, and know sort-of what sort of world is going on. Ok. Now, where do you fit in? Where do you want to fit in? You can be anything, basically. Preferably something interesting, but also plausible. When you have a vague idea, suggest your character idea in the OOC thread. Get feedback. Perhaps the feedback is 'are you sure?' or 'we have ten of those'. If so, maybe you should consider changing your idea.

Step 4: Refine your character.
You have your vague idea, you have feedback maybe on your idea. Now flesh it out. Name your character. Give him a background. Give him a personality. Go back and change the personality to something less Mary-Sue-esque. You will need the following information:
Code: [Select]
Name: A durrrr
Description: Appearance, age, obvious traits
Background: Where is he from, what does he want, how is he going to get it.
Starting resources: You have a budget of 3 ducats. Assign as follows:
A boat: 2 ducats.
A regiment: 1 ducat
Upgrades: Cost varies; see upgrades.
A major skill/power: 1 ducat. Ex: is a skilled general, engineer, assassin, whatever.
Money: 1 ducat/ducat. A ducat is a lot of money. You can do a lot of things with money.
Post the proposed character in the OOC thread. Receive feedback. If someone with the appropriate authority says it is ok (Taricus, me, CyberGenesis), you can jump right in.

Step 5: Jumping right in.
Right, yeah. Once your character has been Ok'd, you can post in this thread with your character's introduction. Go looking for trouble; people should be tripping over themselves to offer you plot hooks, and you will soon find yourself tangled in a web of politics and intrigue. This is what we call 'fun'. You will probably find that it is 'fun' in the DF sense of the word. By which I mean, !!Fun!!

One last thing: If you join in winter, upkeep for that year is paid already.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:26:32 pm by CyberGenesis »

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:25:04 pm »

Possibly out of date, possibly conflicting, who cares, rules!

The rules can also be found on this wiki page, which is probably alot more accurate.

Ok so i think this is mostly final but open to some slight tweaks yet. Provided no oddities or major adjustments, i'll have an idiots guide soon

Part of the second post in the OOC thread:
Spoiler: The Game in Brief (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adjudication (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:14:29 am by CyberGenesis »

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 10:25:26 pm »

More rules!
Regarding magic/religion:
Spoiler: Important Notes (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:35:50 am by CyberGenesis »

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:25:43 pm »

So note to anyone looking to join: Much of the preceeding MAY be out of date as per the recent changes - i'll edit it as time allows

The Wiki, aforementioned, is the sole source (besides my godlike veto powers) of all things current and kosher with the world. Rules, settings, standings etc.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:30:29 pm by CyberGenesis »

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:30:56 pm »

It is now Spring...
[1] Omens abound the Coast as the new year begins. Citizens are in a great deal of unrest and near-panic as the season starts with stories reaching the upper coast from the south. These stories seem to involve mass die-offs of plant and animal alike. The populace seems unaffected, so far, and many fear there is something greater at work here.

On top of these rumors, Ligoria has recently lost a leader to widely varying claims of responsibility. Some say suicide, others cold-blooded murder. The truth between the events of a seemingly normal meeting between Lord Kathos and Lord Nikephoros lies with the sole survivor - Lord Kathos Thunderblade. He has been quite mute over the account of the events to what appears to be shock.

Last but not least, the armies of the old Motavi Empire seem to be on the move. All sides are bracing for an all-out war between the three nations. Some blame Galam's withdrawal of forces from the region, the rest simply think that there has been enough tension between all sides that this would have happened no matter what.

Previous Season (Winter 416a), Next Season (Summer 417a)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:01:17 pm by CyberGenesis »

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:27:20 pm »

Spoiler: Nation: Ligoria (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nation: Polca (click to show/hide)

((Anything missing, as usual - let me know in OOC))
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:58:38 pm by CyberGenesis »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 12:30:52 am »

Plot Recap for YAK II, Part I.
  • Queen Laythe comes to power by slaughtering her whole family and most of the major nobles.
  • One year later, a number of nobles show up to become new Lord's and Lady's Of Ligoria.
  • Lord William Blackrose - a Vadud- is banished.
  • The Dragon Empire Seizes Mileth.
  • The Kingdom of Ligoria attacks Mileth and wins a tactical victory against the D.E. During a peace negotiation, Laythe loses her temper and body-slams the General, then takes him hostage. Later, she orders her men to blindly charge the fortifications, but Marshal Nikepheros takes command.
  • Queen Laythe is ousted by a revolution led by Lord Kathos Thunderblade and Marshal Nikepheros Vandire. Due to several incidents involving a lack of judgement on Queen Laythe's part. They create a Oligarchical Republic with Kathos Thunderblade as Lord Chancellor and Nikepheros Vandire as Lord Protector. Laythe flees to Galam after looting the bank.
  • William Blackrose emerges in Polca under the name William Sarturi and forces the Lord into a protection agreement. Two boats and a drydock are later blown up. William was most likely involved.
  • The Mercenary Terryn and his Thornbred Knights arrive in Polca and Terryn is seen speaking with William a few times.
  • The Lady Tala Alanis and Officer Pasha...something...get married.
  • William heads back to Polca from Ligoria with another regiment of troops, initially prepared to seize the city by force. He manages to become Lord by presenting a letter and making a speech, much to his disappointment. Polca receives quite a few freedoms and tax cuts.
  • Laythe plans stuff.
  • Lord Protector Nike begins adding to the Republic Of Ligoria by attacking the bandits on the border, and seizes some land and wins against the bandits therein. But couldn't quite seem to sqaush Lady De Plume, the clever leader of the bandits.
  • Nikepheros returns to Talama- the capital of Ligoria - and meets with Terryn, who is now in Ligoria. Terryn creates a mercenary, bodyguard and protections business in Talama, then plans some shady things with Nike.
  • The recent rumors of the conditions of Nikepheros's death arise.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:12:58 am »

Rumors and Events:
The Borders of Ligoria seem to have calmed down somewhat, with rumors of Lord Protector Nikephoros' death. There is still however grumbling from the nobles threatened by Baroness De Plume.

Fiumefurt has put out the word that they have reduced the taxes on any staple goods brought to them for sale. They also proclaim bandit activity in their lands is nonexistant.

A few lesser nobles seek mercenary aid in handling banditry near Mileth.
------
The Personnal guard will say that Nikephoros tried to corrupt them and assassinate Kathos, but they refused and saved the Lord Chancellor from a killing shot. They will also say that Kathos had been suspecting that Nikephoros was plotting against him, to gain total control over Ligoria.
Adrian will summon the council and the two generals, tell them that story, and tell them that the nation must not know for now, to keep the morale high. The servants should be kept in the palace until an announcement is made, to prevent any rumor from spreading.

A physician will be summoned to heal Kathos (he should also be stopped from spreading any rumors). Kathos will meet the council and generals when his health allows him to do so.

[4] Your men spread the official story that Nikephoros was power-hungry and attempted to kill you to usurp power in Ligoria. Given the other rumors circling about...[3-1] The army does not approve of this version of events, but there is only mild grumbling heard for now. The generals of Ligoria refuse to meet with Kathos without bodyguards. And in a place of their choosing.

[5] The physiker you hire has good news. You will recover almost fully in a month, though your nose will remain somewhat crooked for the remainder of your days.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 12:11:35 pm »

In Polca:
William purchases three(3) base regiments of men and women. They all get the heavy unit one upgrade and the watchmen upgrade, and they begin training immediately. They receive the name of the Polcan Guard.(-7.5d)
(6.3d remaining)
William constructs a national size one Wheat/Grain farm business outside of town.
(3.3d remaining)

William checks in with the Madam, to find out any information about the goings-on in town, and if any gangs or such have shown up.

Also he tries to verify where in the south these were these stories of  'mass die-offs of plant and animal alike'  are coming from, to try and find where is being effected.

In Galam:
William arrived at the Citadel gates, wearing his Crimson Longcoat, with a crossbow strapped to his back and Zerim at his side, his men simiarly armed and armored, with William's Lover, Chironas, closely following, and addressed the guards there.

"I'm here to meet with the Exiled Queen Laythe."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:51:19 pm by filiusenox »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 02:37:00 pm »

News travelled fast. Kathos had tried to stop the rumors from spreading, but it was impossible. And with the news from the south, he was growing increasingly worried... There appeared to be a great plague spreading in the southern lands - hopefully his homeland was not affected - and if it reached the city while there were riots going on, it would lead to a disaster. He had to keep the city under control, and to do that he needed the army on his side. As soon as he was able to, he went out to meet them.

Meet the generals at the place they chose, bring Adrian and two more guards

Train Swordsmanship for the season
Upgrade Wine business to size 3 (-4d) and produce an additionnal good (-1d) using personnal wealth. 2.6 ducats remaining
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:11:48 pm by Shootandrun »

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:42:01 pm »

In Galam:
William arrived at the Citadel gates, wearing his Crimson Longcoat, with a crossbow strapped to his back and Zerim at his side, his men simiarly armed and armored, with William's Lover, Chironas, closely following, and addressed the guards there.

"I'm here to meet with the Exiled Queen Laythe."

The guards look at eachother with general amusement, "Why would her former majesty be here stranger? What would possibly lead you to beleive we'd allow you entry in the first place? If you don't have business with Galam - be gone from the citadel"

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:55 pm »

William shifted his shoulders and gave a uncaring shrug.
"Don't play dumb, Psychobitch Laythe's messenger told me to meet here her, he could have been lying, but that doesn't really matter. If she isn't here, I would still like a meeting with Masteri Eshir."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:55:54 pm by filiusenox »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 03:25:01 pm »

-Assuming it's possible, and Terryn finds out about Nikephoros' death before upkeep is paid, drop the scout upgrade and only pay upkeep for the base regiment. Otherwise, just drop the scout upgrade.
-IF Terryn is paid the 4d he was promised and didn't actually work for, upgrade the Ligorian Guild Hall to size 2, and move it to just outside of Talama's walls.
-Terryn and his men leave Ligoria, taking a ship to Polca.
-Can I get an update on my funds?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 04:09:01 pm »

William shifted his shoulders and gave a uncaring shrug.
"Don't play dumb, Psychobitch Laythe's messenger told me to meet here her, he could have been lying, but that doesn't really matter. If she isn't here, I would still like a meeting with Masteri Eshir."

"You have a big mouth for an announced visit to the front door of Lord Paladin..." He knocks on the citadel gate, speaks with a man inside and the door shuts behind him, "You can wait over there by the benches. We'll see if visitors are in his Lord's humor today"

-Assuming it's possible, and Terryn finds out about Nikephoros' death before upkeep is paid, drop the scout upgrade and only pay upkeep for the base regiment. Otherwise, just drop the scout upgrade.
-IF Terryn is paid the 4d he was promised and didn't actually work for, upgrade the Ligorian Guild Hall to size 2, and move it to just outside of Talama's walls.
-Terryn and his men leave Ligoria, taking a ship to Polca.
-Can I get an update on my funds?

Funds now current
-2d remaining
-Size 2 completed

[5-2] Welcome to polca
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 62