Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extreme Lag...  (Read 1183 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Extreme Lag...
« on: March 20, 2012, 12:25:29 am »

Sorry to be posting so much here :(

I am currenly experiencing extreme lag in my new world. I have only just begun, so it is a very small number of dwarves and creatures on the map.

Before I could get up to 80 dwarves and I wouldn't be having even a slight problem with lag, but for some reason, the game appears to be barely moving when I have it playing. When I pause everything, it all goes fine.

I have deleted both of the other region files I have, directly from the dwarf fortress folder trying to fix this, but to no avail. I have done restarts on my computer, and have ensured all the software updates are installed. I have given it high priority on task manager, which seems to have no effect at all (It's something that helps fix lag in minecraft).

What can I do to overcome this lag? It is literally unplayable
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme Lag...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:37:56 am »

Use DFHack to check flows and/or reveal to check to see if sourced cavern water is draining off the map or the magma sea is draining into the Depths. This occasionally happens, especially on bugged maps. Moving liquids cause significant FPS drop due to taking a large number of calculations to do, with magma being even worse due to also requiring temperature recalculations. Once you've located the problem, it may be possible to stop it by sealing the gaps that the fluids are draining through with walls using liquids to form obsidian or tiletypes to form whatever. However, it's likely that you're simply going to have to make a new world.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:42:42 am »

sounds like an easier way is to create a new world... abandon the almost perfect embark location and start from scratch :p oh well...
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:57:33 am »

It is the way of the fortress, either struggle for 6 days straight to repair the damage, or run away and start over again.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:25:13 am »

it was obviously something with the world, because I created a new one (much better area... except for those alligators in the river) and it's working fine...

Captian idiot strikes again!