Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ... Is this too far? :p  (Read 14050 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
... Is this too far? :p
« on: March 19, 2012, 02:35:29 am »

So, I'm wondering, is this going too far?

I build a 20z dodge-me trap, and a little past it I build a ton of cage traps, in case a few gobby thieves or ambushes slip in and I don't realize in time to close the path and reroute them to the dodgeme path.

So next to it, I built a mass pitting room, 9 1x1 shafts dropping 20z to the same landing level as the dodgeme's. At the bottom of each shaft, is an upright spear trap with 10 menacing spikes, each. They pretty much explode when they land.

The part I'm questioning is...

I'm thinking of making that my dining room :-D

PS, is there a trick to pitting dwarven necromancers? Also, any chance of them resurrecting things from their cages?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

KainInt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ... Is this too far? :p
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 02:37:49 am »

If you drop your enemies into your dining room, your dwarves will eventually become heartless badasses.

Also, necros do revive from cages.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 02:42:05 am »

If you drop your enemies into your dining room, your dwarves will eventually become heartless badasses.

Also, necros do revive from cages.

Ya, that's kinda what I was thinking:p

And I was afraid of that...

Hmmmm.... Next time, I'm doing to design it a bit different... Instead of a single animal stockpile, I think I'll make 9 small ones around the 9 shafts, and spread it out... Why? So I can circle the spike traps with tables and chairs, make the carnage a centerpiece, the ultimate in dwarven entertainment!!!

... I think this game is making me a tad sadistic, lol.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 02:47:41 am »

Too far? This is the game where we slaughter the cutest animals we can find by the dozen for a rather meager amount of food. This is the game where coming up with a more complex and cruel way to kill something is a daily goal. This is the game where "child care" is locking a kid in a room with a bunch of rabid animals to scar them, physically and emotionally, for years to make them better killing machines. Sir, this is not far enough.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:49:09 am »

I don't slaughter cute animals for the meat; I slaughter the big ones for that. I slaughter the small ones because there's too many of the buggers.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 03:24:29 am »

Too far? This is the game where we slaughter the cutest animals we can find by the dozen for a rather meager amount of food. This is the game where coming up with a more complex and cruel way to kill something is a daily goal. This is the game where "child care" is locking a kid in a room with a bunch of rabid animals to scar them, physically and emotionally, for years to make them better killing machines. Sir, this is not far enough.
You forgot the merfolk death camps and Sphalerite's (ludicrously over-complex) whale-harpooning project.  :D
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:24:01 am »

*casual* Just be sure to install a row of fortifications or, preferably, windows around the spikes.  If a dwarf happens to be standing on the tile when a goblin falls, then they won't take any fall damage, though the goblin will still suffer spike damage.  This additionally keeps your dining room cleaner and less strewn with stray body parts, while leaving the interior of the window area looking more like a blender set on chunky.  Use hatches to move into the room from below and clean out goblinite as desired.

As a further suggestion, I'd probably do windows to split it into two rooms.  One side is the dining hall, the other is the barracks, to ensure your military is especially hardened before they even hit the field.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:42:27 am »

Too far? Nay, this is a "why didn't I think of this before?" moment. But instead of a dining room, I will be forcing every civilian to take in the view with alert-burrows.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:46:23 am »

This is the game where we are ready to butcher a kitten, simply for ‼SCIENCE‼!

Also, what Girlinhat said. You don't want to risk some of the goblins not getting blasted into pieces.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 10:19:27 am »

Also, the windows prevent reanimated corpses from having their way with your citizens.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 10:23:54 am »

Are undead still building destroyers? Or did they lose that tag in DF2012? You are probably safer going with fortifications.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 10:25:56 am »

In Dwarf Fortress, there is no such thing as "is this too far?", there is only "Can I kill something with this in spectacular fashion?"

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:49 am »

Fortifications AND windows to prevent archery related "accidents"?
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 01:26:22 pm »

Flood it with animals that require sleep, so that they'll periodically fall asleep on weapon traps and commence the limbsplosion.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 01:37:04 pm »

Flood it with animals that require sleep, so that they'll periodically fall asleep on weapon traps and commence the limbsplosion.
Then you can place bets to see how far the blood and limbs fly.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2 3