Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: [Succession Game] For First-Timers and New Players  (Read 20555 times)

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[Succession Game] For First-Timers and New Players
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:40:09 am »

Most succession games are done by more experienced players using various challenges and mods, but I'm new myself and think having at least one of these going would be a good idea. This was done at least once before and not only was it fun but it seemed like it helped people and brought some forum lurkers into the game.

How to Participate
This will be a succession game for vanilla (no mods) Dwarf Fortress (v0.34.05) for newer players or players without succession game experience.

If you need to download Dwarf Fortress I highly recommend the Lazy Newb's Pack. If you need any help you can check out the Dwarf Fortress Wiki or ask in this thread.

Getting a Turn
1. If you'd like a turn make a post with which turn you'd prefer.
2. Each turn will last one year in game time, to be completed within one week real time. Don't get those backwards. ;)
3. After a turn is over and the save is posted, the next player has three days to make a post confirming they have the save and can play their turn.
4. Play passes to the next person in line if someone is unable to take their turn.

Playing your turn
1. Players should do their best to keep the fortress going and not purposely try to sabotage the next person's turn (they're plenty of succession games for that already XD).
2. While it's your turn post about major events or anything that happens which you find interesting. Storytelling details and screenshots are appreciated!
3. The Dwarf Fortress File Depot is the traditional site for uploading Dwarf Fortress saves.

Dwarfing
1. If you'd like to be Dwarfed, post what name/job/custom job name you'd like.
2. Players following Dwarfing requests would be greatly appreciated but because it may not always be feasible isn't strictly necessary. (I'll try to do this during my turn)

The Golden Rule
The point is to have Fun! Just do the best you can to make the game fun for yourself and everyone else!

To keep things simple I'm planning on using the Lazy Newb's Pack default embark at this site, but it can be changed if starting people want something different:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3x3 embark to be easier on FPS for anyone with a lower end machine. Otherwise it gives us anything we might need and should be good for new players.

Turn Order List:
(Current Turn, Finished Turn, Canceled/Skipped)
1. Basque - Done
2. Pwnzerfaust - Current
3. Uronym
4. FrankMcFuzz
5. wypie
6. slothen
7. Will_Tuna
8. Darksilverhawk
9. FlickerFly
10. Greasemunky
11. Prometheusmfd
12. Movie
13. drh
14. Scelly9
15. Argelflirth

Dwarfed:
1. FrankMcFuzz
2. Prometheusmfd
3. Corai

To be Dwarfed:
1. Vanaheimer - "Heremod," Male Hammerdwarf
1. LastCrusader- "LastCrusader," Male Axedwarf or Hammerdwarf

Update Link List:
Introduction
Year 1 - Spring
Year 1 - Summer
Year 1 - Autumn
Year 1 - Winter

If people are up for a thread like this, I'll start my turn after a couple people sign up for turns. I'm just going to try and get the basics done for a good start, then the rest is up to everyone else! If anyone has any questions or suggestions feel free to speak up!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 10:26:29 pm by Basque »

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession Game] For First-Timers and New Players
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:55:20 pm »

Sure, I'll take the next turn if I can. I've never done a succession fort before... Should be interesting. So yeh. Count me in.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:30:48 pm »

I've never done a succession fort, either, but I have quite a bit of experience playing dwarf fortress. I'd like turn #3! Sounds Fun!
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:32:14 pm »

I have a fair amount of Dwarfly experience but none with succession games. Put me down for turn #4 :D
Also, I got dibs on being dwarfed as the very first migrant that ever shows up. :D lol Doesn't even matter what job he has. The more useless the better.
Makes it much easier to get into it if each of the turn takers have their own respective dwarf. Well, as long as he's alive by the time you get around to that person.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:49:33 pm by FrankMcFuzz »
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 09:03:17 pm »

May I please be dwarfed as a Hammerdwarf?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:12:40 pm »

I will take a turn picked it up a year ago but haven't gotten that into it but lets hope next update is compatible for OCD reasons.

I will dwarf myself but if anyone messes with my dwarf my next turn your dwarf will be dead :P.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:14:17 pm by wypie »

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 11:43:51 pm »

Alright! Looks like we have enough people to get this going and it seems like everyone's okay with the setup we have now. That means it's time to STRIKE THE EARTH!

(Using the Phoebus Tileset for screenshots. Slightly edited the default Lazy Newb Pack embark-traded some plump helmets so we could start with dogs and cats, otherwise everything's right out of the box)

----------

In a world known as Xestsuzaza (try saying that three times fast!) the ancient race of dwaves has prospered for over a hundred years. Now in the year 126 the dwarven civilization Lukiden-"The Insightful Paddles," known for their insightfulness and their paddles, has sent a small band of only the dwarfiest of dwarves to build a glorious new outpost. History shall remember these stalwart pioneers as:

The Team
Spoiler: Ducim Atastiden (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Zazit Lolornul (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tulon Olinalak (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sazir Risensakrith (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tobul Stukonsodel (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Melbil Stesoksarvesh (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mebzuth Medtobetas (click to show/hide)

This band of seven trekked long over hill and vale. (Mostly hills, it's so hard to find vales these days.) They remained determined in their quest, even after being accosted by dingoes who only fled after learning there were no babies to be eaten. Finally at long last they found a place for their outpost, as place called:

Spoiler: We Have Arrived! (click to show/hide)

----------

This is just an intro post, have not unpaused the game yet. I'll start my turn tomorrow and probably do updates at the end of each season about every other day in case anyone has any input. Here's what things look like so far:

Spoiler: Not Yet Unpaused (click to show/hide)

If anyone has anything to say before we hit the ground running, speak now or forever hold your peace!  ;)

Edit: For instance, like FrankMcFuzz mentioned we could dwarf you guys into the starting 7. I was going to let each player be in charge of dwarfing during their turn so that if they wanted to dwarf themselves they'd have their pick of any dwarf, but it's up to you guys.

Edit 2, Son of Edit: As they say, Location, Location, Location
I thought with each update I'd try to ask something relevant both for player participation and so this fortress can start off generally suitable for everyone. The first thing of course is where do we STRIKE THE EARTH? Right now we're centered right next to a murky pool, which could be walled in and cleaned with a pump.  Otherwise there's a brook not to far to the west, but I believe you can't construct anything on the surface of a brook so I couldn't wall that in (though we could simply build near it). Any preference from the players?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:11:14 am by Basque »

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:57:18 pm »

I'll take turn six, with the disclaimer that I am a somewhat experienced player, without much succession game experience (check out BloodSyrup).  If I get a turn, I will use that turn to build or implement something big and dwarfy, such as a new elaborate defensive structure/strategem, perhaps something with water, or implement one of many stupid dwarf tricks, depending on the needs of the fortress, what I want to try, and what the other players want to see me build.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:22:07 am »

I was planning to pick a dwarf for myself when my turn rolls around and draft myself into the position of Manager, but whatever works!
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:36 am »

sign me up!
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Darksilverhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:54:03 am »

I've never participated in a succession fort before, so sign me up for a turn.
When a dwarf has to make a decision, they will make the wrong one approximately 99.7% of the time.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 05:55:52 pm »

1st Granite, 126

Thornlens! A fine place to strike the earth!

Psshaw! Except the red sand in this marsh might be easy to dig though but it clings to a dwarf's beard like stink clings to a goblin. I miss the cold dwarven stone of Mountainhome. We must strike stone here before the season is out if we're to create a proper dwarven outpost!

4th Granite, 126

Ack! My pick struck something harder than sand today but before we could kick back a mug of dwarven beer in celebration we discovered it was merely clay. Tulon tell me the Carpenter's Workshop is up and running, so there's a spot of good news.

5th Granite, 126
The first real rock we strike is not just stone but Hematite! Aye, this bodes well for the future of the outpost. With luck we'll be making some proper dwarven axes and armor before long.

11th Granite, 126
More good news today!
Spoiler: Good News Everyone! (click to show/hide)

17th Granite, 126
Tobul, one of our farmers, pull me aside today to talk.

"Lad, I can't help but notice we haven't a still yet"

Before I can even response he pulls me by my beard so we're nose to nose.

"Look at me lad. This is the face of a dwarf who was sober once. Never again. Do you hear me? Never again!"

I ordered a still to be dug out immediately.

25th Granite, 126

Not only was the Still completed, but all of our farm plots are plowed and ready to seed now as well.

Spoiler: Farm Setup (click to show/hide)

1st Hematite, 126

(I apologize for the stream-of-consciousness style of writing.)

Alright! At least one season went by without anything exploding yet. Before starting this game I watched several Let's Plays to see what the most popular style of rooms and such were and honestly they varied tremendously. I went with the most basic kind of style I'd seen repeated so hopefully the layout should be easy to understand at least. Of course each overseer can change everything to suit their own personal taste.

Spoiler: Bedrooms (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dining Level (click to show/hide)

SUMMER QUESTION TIME

Hitting both iron and coal so quickly was surprising! None of our pioneer dwarves have any kind of skill with metal right now, but we can plan for the future. Should we plan to set up standard smelters and forges to use the coal we have, or save it for Steel and dig down looking for magma?

My main project right now is going to be getting a defensive wall and drawbridge up, but if anyone has any suggestions/ideas I'd be glad to hear them!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:26:32 am by Basque »

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 06:23:42 pm »

Great start! :)

As for the iron and coal, setting up some regular smelters and using that coal to get a military started wouldn't be a bad idea. What else would you do with coal?
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

FlickerFly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »

I'd love to have a turn if:
1. Week 8 is open for joining.
2. It's not too late to join if you have time restrictions.
3. It's okay if I am not amazing at writing.
4. Your fort lasts until my turn. (Which it probably will, but you never know.)

If all of these are true, then I would like to be signed up.

Also, you wrote dwaven beer.
(I'm very sorry about the post count- I'm a huge lurker.)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:46:05 pm by FlickerFly »
If I were you, I'd do exactly the same thing as you would, because I'd be you.
</inactivity>

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 08:16:17 pm »

Hmm, I'd say make a few iron weapons, but save most of the iron for steel once we find flux. Also, maybe start churning out stone crafts?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9