Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exotic pet interface features  (Read 769 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exotic pet interface features
« on: March 23, 2012, 10:57:53 pm »

A few feature suggestions to go with the new way exotic pets are handled as of 0.34.06:

1) In the "Overall Training" tab of the animals screen, have a way of listing only "Knowledge = Domesticated" or "Knowledge = General" animals.  Or maybe sort first by knowledge type, then by creature name, so all animals of a certain knowledge type are listed together.

2) In the "Overall Training" tab, indicate which species can be trained for war or hunting.

3) When selecting a parent civ during embark site selection, have some way of seeing which exotic animals the civ has knowledge of taming. (Hmmm, though I guess "show info about a civ during embark selection" is a separate suggestion)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic pet interface features
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 11:12:16 pm »

Hmmm, though I guess "show info about a civ during embark selection" is a separate suggestion

It is, and one that applies to more than just this one topic.  (I think I've made it before? Searching says apparently not...)

It's a problem that you don't have the ability to see anything at all about your civ without backing out and using Legends Mode first (or going through Legends Mode beforehand), and it's generally a problem that the screens that give you information are totally divorced from the screens where you make decisions, causing players to too often "fly blind".  (I'm thinking of screens like military and burrows at the moment...)

Something I'd also like to see without having to return to the title screen is the materials that a civ has available, both at embark, and for trade, as well as just general health of the civ, and who is king/queen. (Surprise, your queen is an elf!)

... err... Sorry, I think I went and commented on the wrong suggestion.

Anyway, to get back to your real suggestions, this is generally more of the same problem - that the menus are unorganized, and that they do not link the important information about the decisions you are making to the actual screens where you are making those decisions.  Unfortunately, design philosophy flaws endemic to DF.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 02:43:46 pm »

It's a problem that you don't have the ability to see anything at all about your civ without backing out and using Legends Mode first (or going through Legends Mode beforehand)
You can always use Legends Viewer...
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 02:55:09 pm »

You can always use Legends Viewer...

It's still a design flaw if you have to use a third-party software program to view information that should be available in-game.

Similarly, we shouldn't need Dwarf Therapist - those functions should be provided by the game itself.  Dwarf Therapist and Legends Viewer are like crutches this game leans upon to make up for its own lacking interface features. 

Simply because you can get around on crutches doesn't mean you're not missing a leg.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare