Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An even simpler FB trap  (Read 1130 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
An even simpler FB trap
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:38:28 pm »

May or may not work on fliers, may be dangerous in the case of vapour-producing FBs.

Side view (no doors shown):
Code: [Select]
#____
#O___
#X###
#X###
#X###
#X###
#X###

Top view of top floor:
Code: [Select]
##*##
##+##
#DDD#
#####

O = constructed wall
D = door
* = floor of constructed wall on lower level

The functioning is pretty simple. You lure the FB to the top of a constructed wall using bait doors (or hatches or whatever), and then take the floor from underneath its feet by deconstructing the wall. You can use a pair of bridges to hold the FB on the desired tile, or you can use the three doors shown to keep it busy for long enough to get the wall deconstructed. The beast will fall through the empty space where the wall used to be, and then down the stairs.

The native gold test subject was dropped down a magma pipe, and sat on the SMR for a while before melting away.

Fliers might fall over instead of falling down. Vapour-producing FBs might gas the dwarf on the way past, unless vapour is disabled by flying in the same way that active attacks are.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An even simpler FB trap
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:49:34 pm »

Interesting, and very simple.

Best destroyer bait I have found so far was an artifact grate.  Just built it and later watched a FB stand there pounding it while marksdwarves shot the monster full of bolts.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart