Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: "DF polishing arc" forthcoming soon?  (Read 3363 times)

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "DF polishing arc" forthcoming soon?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 07:06:17 am »

I agree with original poster. Game could use some minor improvements before implementing new big features, just to make it more playable. 

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 08:37:37 am »

I know where the sentiments are coming from and I'd certainly agree with them if this was a commercial game. But it's not - at least, not in the traditional sense. This is someone doing what they want which happens to be a somewhat playable game in the interim. Prematurely maximising playability is definitely not a desirable priority for what this game wants to be.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 12:57:37 pm »

Making minor tweaks to improve and optimize playability right now would be a lot like selecting and applying cake icing before you've even finished mixing the batter.  The very best you can hope for is the cake-making process destroys the icing and you have to re-do it, and you'd have to be lucky to get a result that good.

Put another way, the foundation is laid down first.  Drapes, paint, and doors go on after you've finished the foundation and put some walls on it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 12:59:56 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 09:02:55 pm »

Frankly, I agree with the poster earlier who talked about these all being problems a seasoned player doesn't have.

There are innumerable tools available to avoid "dwarven stupidity" as it is sometimes labelled, its up to the player to use them.

I intentionally don't use all the tools available to me, just to see what unfolds. A tantrumming dwarf biting another dwarfs head off, and you find out that headless dwarf was his grudge? You don't get that in other games.

The fact that a one-man designer-programmer has made an extremely addictive game of this.scope is miraculous in and of itself, and I would never want to rush Toady into polishing unless he feels it is time. Meantime, ill fully enjoy all the dwarven stupidity and bugs :p
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.
Pages: 1 [2]